F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > How best to approach a new car deal?
proTUNING Freaks

11-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

How best to approach a new car deal?

Hi folks,

The test drive of the E class is not going well, I'll write it up next week once it has gone back, but it seems very likely I'll be putting in an order for a G31 5 Touring.

Any tips for opening the negotiation? Be straight and let them know I know I can get ~20% off? Pretend I don't and unveil a quote from a broker/other dealer later?

Anyone know of any good dealers if my local one doesn't play ball? TRL still around?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

TRL certainly is still around, you’d be mad not to go to him!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Say nothing at the start but make it clear you want a decent deal. Seeing where they pitch this first offer will give you a very good indication of what type of dealer you are working with.

Then when they give you a poor offer immediately go to leave thanking them for the quote but say they are wasting both your times. The look on the salesmans face is usually laughable at this stage. He will then do everything he can to make you sit down.

Then hit him between the eyes with the price you expect him to better and make it clear you don't want any old nonsense of running back and forward to his big bad sales manager in the office where no customer may enter. You often find after a while the big bad boss comes out to see you. If they aren't playing ball say goodbye and try another.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i EBII

Go to a number of online brokers to spec the car you want and take the best price with you. Tell the dealer to better it and they have the business.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Personally I negotiate on the phone having already decided on the exact spec and a target price. Dealers are often reluctant to do this as it puts them in a weak position - they know that it is zero hassle for you to put the phone down and speak to another dealer if they don’t play ball. Conversely, when you’re sitting in their showroom, they feel in a position of power - you want to do a deal and it’s a hassle to go somewhere else.
Appreciate 2
JLR19691882.00
      11-12-2017, 01:34 AM   #6
davyk31
Major General
Rep

It also depends on whether you enjoy the car buying process or not, I love it!!

Totally different with Porsche though, you test drive then sit in the desk opposite the salesman and ask him ever so nicely if he would be good enough to sell you a car. He goes off to speak to his boss who says ok they can and they look at a screen to see where they can fit you in for a build and tell you that you can hopefully have a car in 12 to 18 months. You then give them a £3k deposit and leave happy.
Appreciate 1
rich100874.50
      11-12-2017, 01:40 AM   #7
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
It also depends on whether you enjoy the car buying process or not, I love it!!

Totally different with Porsche though, you test drive then sit in the desk opposite the salesman and ask him ever so nicely if he would be good enough to sell you a car. He goes off to speak to his boss who says ok they can and they look at a screen to see where they can fit you in for a build and tell you that you can hopefully have a car in 12 to 18 months. You then give them a £3k deposit and leave happy.
The Macan wait is much shorter now Davy. If I ordered one next weekend then I could have it April. No hurry for me though and will try to get another year from the 335d, and wait for the facelift one to come out.
Have to say that the Porsche dealership in Reading was one of the most pleasant car dealerships I've ever been in.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      11-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #8
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlightning View Post
Go to a number of online brokers to spec the car you want and take the best price with you. Tell the dealer to better it and they have the business.
Exactly this.

I have always found no matter how bad you want the car you have to behave like you don't give a fuck and will walk away from it over the littlest of things.

Do not be afraid to walk out.

Many a time I have walked out thinking to myself "back to the drawing board" only for the dealer to call back a day later and tell me that there "might be something they can do."

If however you are trying to buy a car that there is a waiting list for, this method will not work.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #9
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
I would recommend walking into the dealer stark Bollocks naked.

That way they'll give you anything to get you to leave.

For an opening gambit that'd take some beating
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
The Macan wait is much shorter now Davy. If I ordered one next weekend then I could have it April. No hurry for me though and will try to get another year from the 335d, and wait for the facelift one to come out.
Have to say that the Porsche dealership in Reading was one of the most pleasant car dealerships I've ever been in.
Yes Tengo my wait was actually shorter as well, they told me 12 to 18 months but it came in 9 months as a few more cars were allocated to the UK.

What model are you looking at Tengo? Model and also importantly your dealers quarterly allocation are all crucial to wait times.

Residuals are still rock solid. Know a guy on the Macan forum who has just sold an 18 month old GTS back to the Porsche dealer for £4K less than he paid. He could also have got more I'm sure on a private sale or perhaps a sale to a non franchised dealer as Porsche dealers are notoriously greedy with markup on used stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes Tengo my wait was actually shorter as well, they told me 12 to 18 months but it came in 9 months as a few more cars were allocated to the UK.

What model are you looking at Tengo? Model and also importantly your dealers quarterly allocation are all crucial to wait times.

Residuals are still rock solid. Know a guy on the Macan forum who has just sold an 18 month old GTS back to the Porsche dealer for £4K less than he paid. He could also have got more I'm sure on a private sale or perhaps a sale to a non franchised dealer as Porsche dealers are notoriously greedy with markup on used stock.
We are driving a diesel next Saturday but I'd probably go for the GTS. I read that the facelift will also involve all new engines too, so that might change things, but right now it looks like the best all round balance and value.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #12
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlightning View Post
^This. Done this three times now. In my case I bowled into the showroom with the brokers figures to hand and simply stated "if you can match this price I will sign an order form today". The dealers appreciated the no-nonsense deal or no-deal approach every time.
      11-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronime View Post
^This. Done this three times now. In my case I bowled into the showroom with the brokers figures to hand and simply stated "if you can match this price I will sign an order form today". The dealers appreciated the no-nonsense deal or no-deal approach every time.
Agreed it helped narrow down who I could actually deal with they do appreciate the no nonsense approach !
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Quote:
We are driving a diesel next Saturday but I'd probably go for the GTS. I read that the facelift will also involve all new engines too, so that might change things, but right now it looks like the best all round balance and value.
The facelift might well bring no Diesel engine in the range. VAG are having a bit of a tough time with their diesels with Porsche stopping selling diesels in the home market for a time while they sorted out a few irregularities lol. Certainly wouldn't be buying a diesel one myself at this time. At the Moment the GTS is the sweet spot in terms of engine, standard equipment and chassis. This will likely remain with the facelift although it's still a good bit away and the GTS model won't appear at the time of facelift release.

Belfast OPC are the ones that will be selling the used GTS I mentioned earlier. Will be a well specced car in Carmine Red with 21" black classics. Good option for someone who doesn't want to wait for a new one although they may already have a customer lined up for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #15
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
The facelift might well bring no Diesel engine in the range. VAG are having a bit of a tough time with their diesels with Porsche stopping selling diesels in the home market for a time while they sorted out a few irregularities lol. Certainly wouldn't be buying a diesel one myself at this time. At the Moment the GTS is the sweet spot in terms of engine, standard equipment and chassis. This will likely remain with the facelift although it's still a good bit away and the GTS model won't appear at the time of facelift release.

Belfast OPC are the ones that will be selling the used GTS I mentioned earlier. Will be a well specced car in Carmine Red with 21" black classics. Good option for someone who doesn't want to wait for a new one although they may already have a customer lined up for it.
I noticed the Cayenne was P only currently, didn't realise fully this was why. Hmm. Still some VAG cleaning up to do.
      11-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #16
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I noticed the Cayenne was P only currently, didn't realise fully this was why. Hmm. Still some VAG cleaning up to do.
I was offered a new Cayenne diesel (not new model) this week with a few thousand off, so they're still being sold, and they're obviously not shifting if Porsche are having to resort to giving a £3k discount.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #17
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Discount on Cayenne is simply because the new model has been previewed. Would need to be a hefty discount to tempt anyone at this stage. The block on sales was in Germany, think sales were banned and it became mandatory to get the upgrade to solve the cheat software. In the uk fitting the upgrade to resolve the problems remains optional but the bad press continues.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #18
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice.

Walked in to look at colours and trims armed with an excellent quote from TRL. Said I was only there to look at options, and they took the challenge and took a few hundred more off the list price. Happy man
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #19
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Hi folks,

The test drive of the E class is not going well, I'll write it up next week once it has gone back, but it seems very likely I'll be putting in an order for a G31 5 Touring.

Any tips for opening the negotiation? Be straight and let them know I know I can get ~20% off? Pretend I don't and unveil a quote from a broker/other dealer later?

Anyone know of any good dealers if my local one doesn't play ball? TRL still around?
I would recommend walking into the dealer stark Bollocks naked.

That way they'll give you anything to get you to leave.
With or without honey and coconut shavings on the oversized blueberries?
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00