F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Best suspension mods for moderate/high track use
Studio RSR

10-31-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Best suspension mods for moderate/high track use

Greetings,
I got a 340i with the M Sport suspension. So far I am planning on keeping my stock springs, changing out struts and will be doing an M Perfomance LSD next year and of course wheels and tires (downsizing from my 442m wheels to Apex 18" rims with some Hoosier or R888R tires)

What other mods are truly necessary and will make a big difference? Should I do poly bushings, sway bars, control arms, camber plates and all that other suspension mods people do? Thanks!
PJ ACN91 + Meth tune| XHP Stage 3

Last edited by Mr. 340; 10-12-2021 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan340 View Post
Greetings,
I got a 340i with the M Sport suspension. So far I am planning on keeping my stock springs, changing out the shocks and struts and will be doing an M Perfomance LSD next year and of course wheels and tires (downsizing from my 442m wheels to Apex 18" rims with some Hoosier or R888R tires)

What other mods are truly necessary and will make a big difference? Should I do poly bushings, sway bars, control arms, camber plates and all that other suspension mods people do? Thanks!
I would say dont do poly subframe bushings. Either do delrin/solid or leave stock.

I have the bimmerworld delrin aluminum subframe bushings and turn delrin diff mounts. Absolutely love them to death but wow the solid diff mounts make things quite noisy!

I would also highly recommend f80 upper and low front control arms. That will really tighten up the front and give you much needed camber.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiswurm View Post
I would say dont do poly subframe bushings. Either do delrin/solid or leave stock.

I have the bimmerworld delrin aluminum subframe bushings and turn delrin diff mounts. Absolutely love them to death but wow the solid diff mounts make things quite noisy!

I would also highly recommend f80 upper and low front control arms. That will really tighten up the front and give you much needed camber.
How loud is it? and what is the sound like? Clanking or creaking noises? I will still take a look at those options, been reading that someone with a 340i got the ones you got and didn't fit properly and he had to modify it. Did you have any issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #4
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How loud is it? and what is the sound like? Clanking or creaking noises? I will still take a look at those options, been reading that someone with a 340i got the ones you got and didn't fit properly and he had to modify it. Did you have any issues?
I have a 335 - not sure if they run the sane diff mounts.

They do two things- they transmit a lot of gear whine from the diff as expected. They also seem to amplfy everything from road noise to transmission noise to exhaust. Its like all those noises vibrate the diff case and then get transmitted through the chassis.

I actually really like it, but i use the car for commuting mostly and am typically alone. It is loud loud loud for sure.

That said, they eliminate just about all of the driveline slack. Definitely a performance improvement!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have a 335 - not sure if they run the sane diff mounts.

They do two things- they transmit a lot of gear whine from the diff as expected. They also seem to amplfy everything from road noise to transmission noise to exhaust. Its like all those noises vibrate the diff case and then get transmitted through the chassis.

I actually really like it, but i use the car for commuting mostly and am typically alone. It is loud loud loud for sure.

That said, they eliminate just about all of the driveline slack. Definitely a performance improvement!
Perfect thank you for the feedback! Gonna start making my suspension list and see if I can get any good deals on black friday in a couple weeks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #6
mholder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Black, mppsk

I have a 340i Msport which came with the m sport suspension. I swapped this out for the m performance suspension, mperformance LSD, mperformance brakes, the mppsk kit and the Dinan CAI. I have much more power and acceleration from the mppsk and CAI but the real icing on the cake comes with the LSD. All the power upgrades are fine for straight line driving but the improved and precise handling that comes with the LSD beats all of the other mods and truely makes the car fun to drive. It even improves launch off the line because the LSD minimizes wheel spin and tail wagging that came with the increased power and torque from the mppsk.
Appreciate 3
exE36M3487.50
Mr. 34068.00
      11-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholder View Post
I have a 340i Msport which came with the m sport suspension. I swapped this out for the m performance suspension, mperformance LSD, mperformance brakes, the mppsk kit and the Dinan CAI. I have much more power and acceleration from the mppsk and CAI but the real icing on the cake comes with the LSD. All the power upgrades are fine for straight line driving but the improved and precise handling that comes with the LSD beats all of the other mods and truely makes the car fun to drive. It even improves launch off the line because the LSD minimizes wheel spin and tail wagging that came with the increased power and torque from the mppsk.
Yeah I will definitely be doing the M Performance LSD next year. When changing out the diff I will take advantage and lower the subframe as well to change out the subframe bushings right away, along with the BMS diff brace and upgraded diff bushings. How do you like the M Performance suspension?
Appreciate 1
mholder23.50
      11-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #8
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Camber plates and bushings. They will save the front tires from cording on the outter edge. M-LSD is a great bang for buck as well. Have fun out there!
Appreciate 1
mholder23.50
      11-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Quote:

Whats the upper control arm? Are you talking about the rear upper control arm?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 06:51 PM   #10
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Quote:

Whats the upper control arm? Are you talking about the rear upper control arm?
Front upper = tension strut = thrust arm
Appreciate 1
zinner559.00
      11-12-2020, 10:13 PM   #11
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

+1 on the camber plates and bushings. I went with delrin rear subframe and differential bushings and it is very streetable.

the rear bushings changed my car completely...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
mholder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Black, mppsk

Quote:
Yeah I will definitely be doing the M Performance LSD next year. When changing out the diff I will take advantage and lower the subframe as well to change out the subframe bushings right away, along with the BMS diff brace and upgraded diff bushings. How do you like the M Performance suspension?
I thoroughly enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #13
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
+1 on the camber plates and bushings. I went with delrin rear subframe and differential bushings and it is very streetable.

the rear bushings changed my car completely...
I also recently installed delrin rear subframe and diff bushings.

I find the rear subframe bushings (installed first) to really add no NVH. The delrin diff bushings however seems to add a significant amount of noise. Typically i would i tend to not be sensitive to NVH but its so loud that its hard to have a conversation in the car over the gear whine, driveline noise and road noise.

Is that not tour experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #14
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I thoroughly enjoy it.
I have the mperformance suspension as well. Its good for the street but a bit soft in my opinion. If youre looking for track duty i do not think it's a suitable solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #15
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Quote:
Do you feel the LSD is a worthwhile upgrade for street only driving? I dont track the car, but would like more traction. I have zero interest in spending like $3K if the main benefit being able to kick out the rear / drift. I'm not too savy on the open diff vs LSD when it comes to everyday driving

Will the lsd only kick in if i lose traction on a turn? Ie. Have to be pushing the car suoer hard
Appreciate 0