F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DAW Turbo Reviews For B58
GetBMWParts

01-15-2024, 01:54 PM   #243
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXMarine72 View Post
You guys should consider the BN heat shield as well for your Hybrid builds. I purchased one and made a few mods too it (pictured). Since it has been on my car it does an amazing job at reducing underhood temps. Parts in the engine bay that used to get very hot will now be just barely warm. Pictures below:
That looks like a heavier and more solid version of the one I have in my picture above. It should help further reduce temperatures seeing it also extends further back on the engine. Between the one I got and the aluminum heat shield on the stock box, I'm pretty happy. Although, I may very well pick this one up in the future. I do wonder if the shield is going to cause the turbo to retain more exhaust heat since less heat escapes from around it or if it's even enough to be concerned about?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:30 PM   #244
ZXMarine72
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

HS

Having it retain more heat is what you want. Same pricinple as wrapping things or using a blanket to keep the heat in. More heat on the exhaust gas side increase gas velocity.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:55 PM   #245
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Having it retain more heat is what you want. Same pricinple as wrapping things or using a blanket to keep the heat in. More heat on the exhaust gas side increase gas velocity.
Oh, maybe I should pick up one of these today. Lol! Thanks! You know how much it weighs approximately? The one I have is super thin but effective for what it is. I'm hoping no more than a half a pound. No additional weight wanted.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 05:14 PM   #246
ZXMarine72
Enlisted Member
Rep

HS

Yeah I had the exact same thing and believe me when I tell you that it's WAY different in terms of performance. I would also suggest to put some DEI Reflect-a-Gold on the back. Don't use the China knock off version of the reflective tape either. It doesn't work nearly as well (This has been tested numerous times).

The piece is made from a precision bent sheet of coated alumninum. It's a few pounds for sure and has way more heat blocking potential than the Ross Racing one. It also covers the top area of the downpipe which the RR does not. The OEM heatshield will be completely removed once this one is installed and it's a way cleaner appearance with dramatically better performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 05:31 PM   #247
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I had the exact same thing and believe me when I tell you that it's WAY different in terms of performance. I would also suggest to put some DEI Reflect-a-Gold on the back. Don't use the China knock off version of the reflective tape either. It doesn't work nearly as well (This has been tested numerous times).

The piece is made from a precision bent sheet of coated alumninum. It's a few pounds for sure and has way more heat blocking potential than the Ross Racing one. It also covers the top area of the downpipe which the RR does not. The OEM heatshield will be completely removed once this one is installed and it's a way cleaner appearance with dramatically better performance.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 11:03 AM   #248
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
You guys should consider the BN heat shield as well for your Hybrid builds. I purchased one and made a few mods too it (pictured). Since it has been on my car it does an amazing job at reducing underhood temps. Parts in the engine bay that used to get very hot will now be just barely warm. Pictures below:
Interesting read! Have you had any issues with the reflective tape that's on the heat shield, coming away/peeling on the side that's facing the turbo?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 09:03 AM   #249
ZXMarine72
Enlisted Member
Rep

Zero issues with the DEI reflect-a-gold on the back of the heatshield. It really does a fantastic job of keeping the turbo and manifold heat contained. The better blocking potential of the larger heat shield paired with the tapes ability to block large amounts of radiant heat keeps the entire engine bay noticeably cooler. Don't skimp on the tape though. The knock-off brands do not work as well as the DEI tape does.
Appreciate 0