F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 Surround view retrofit
ARMA SPEED

05-31-2021, 08:30 PM   #155
Cam70
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G01 x3 xDrive30i M

I've got the Top View and Surround view working. I purchased the parts to install the side view, but im not sure if I want to install it or not...I never used it much on previous cars and its a permanent modification to the car.

Anyway, I can confirm that the system works perfectly well without the side cameras.

I installed the reverse and top cameras fully, and then temporarily connected the side view cameras. I then used Protool to perform the calibration.

After removing the side cameras there are errors logged - but they arn't presented to the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam70 View Post
I have ordered most of the parts for this retrofit and will be doing it as soon as they arrive.

I wasn't going to install side view cameras, just rear view and top view ....can you please confirm if this will work or not?

In the post below it says that it wont work without the side view cameras (bumper cameras) connected.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #156
jeffijaffa
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 series 435 Xdrive

Yea I’ve done the same but worried about adding the side view cameras. Cutting the bumper as well, I have the parts but the cameras I have are really the top view ones I presume they will work ok. From what I understand the lenses on the top view are different to the side view ones something to do with the field of view. I don’t suppose anyone knows if I will get any errors.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 05:31 PM   #157
Cam70
Enlisted Member
Rep

During my testing I hot-swapped the cameras around. All cameras worked in every position I tried.

I suspect without the correct cameras it wont be of any use. The display would be distorted.

I cant speak to errors as i had errors at that stage as I hadn't performed the calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffijaffa View Post
Yea I’ve done the same but worried about adding the side view cameras. Cutting the bumper as well, I have the parts but the cameras I have are really the top view ones I presume they will work ok. From what I understand the lenses on the top view are different to the side view ones something to do with the field of view. I don’t suppose anyone knows if I will get any errors.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 03:01 AM   #158
jeffijaffa
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 series 435 Xdrive

Quote:
During my testing I hot-swapped the cameras around. All cameras worked in every position I tried.

I suspect without the correct cameras it wont be of any use. The display would be distorted.

I cant speak to errors as i had errors at that stage as I hadn't performed the calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffijaffa View Post
Thanks for that, I'll look for the correct camera's
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 02:46 AM   #159
F332014irl
Registered
Rep
Drives: F33, F30, E21 Z4

Having completed this retofit - using the DIY info on this tread - I can confirm everything works perfectly. I had a couple of problem area 1. connecting the video cable from wing mirror to body of the car - if you are not getting picture - try rotating the cable - the connection is in 1/4s - I imagined it as the face of a clock - upon rotation one cable around I found the video (was upside down and needed to configure with coding) 2. to keep costs low - I used my mirror base plate - cutting out the hole to take the camera - I used a flat wood drill bit - worked really well - the markings are already there you just have to find the centre and off you go. Best of luck to anybody completing this - it's really handy for parking and city driving to avoid cyclists - helps with blind spots IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #160
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

can i use the surround view control unit to just install the rear view camera first, then slowly add together?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #161
A13x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Has anyone done this recently in the UK and what was the cost of materials?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 04:48 AM   #162
tallandrew
Rep
Drives: m sport 330d

cable code

has anyone attempted to order a different cable wiring configuration for the custom door cable to avoid needing to modify and rotate the cables which attach to the doors?

Roxor uses a pin chart of “1-4, 2-3, 3-2, 4-1

If so what is the correct pin assignment? i'm guessing there would then be 2 different assignments. for left and right doors.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 04:18 AM   #163
FCosta10
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

I would love to do this, but its very expensive.

Great job doing it
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #164
Enel
Rep
Drives: 330i Sapphire Black

61119281258 Surround view HSD
61129259992 Door wiring harness right
61129259975 Door wiring harness left

Unbelivably expensive prices when buying them as new. How do you find those in second hand market? These are my only missing parts to finish the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:44 PM   #165
gameson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've got the Top View and Surround view working. I purchased the parts to install the side view, but im not sure if I want to install it or not...I never used it much on previous cars and its a permanent modification to the car.

Anyway, I can confirm that the system works perfectly well without the side cameras.

I installed the reverse and top cameras fully, and then temporarily connected the side view cameras. I then used Protool to perform the calibration.

After removing the side cameras there are errors logged - but they arn't presented to the driver.
does the hsd cable with different plug color matter? i see on previous page, some say white plug, green plug, blue plug

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=152

thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #166
Cam70
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
does the hsd cable with different plug color matter? i see on previous page, some say white plug, green plug, blue plug

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=152

thank you
They are colour coded...
The module has 5 coloured connections, and the w hsd cables have matching colours connectors.
Top The 5 connections are: Left, Top Right, Side Left, Side Right, Rear
The 5 cables are different lengths - to reach the correct location in the car.
They have different colours - do make the connections at the module easy to make

BUT they are interchangeable technically speaking
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:07 PM   #167
gameson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They are colour coded...
The module has 5 coloured connections, and the w hsd cables have matching colours connectors.
Top The 5 connections are: Left, Top Right, Side Left, Side Right, Rear
The 5 cables are different lengths - to reach the correct location in the car.
They have different colours - do make the connections at the module easy to make

BUT they are interchangeable technically speaking
thank you, if they are interchangeable, then that's all i need to know, lol...
do you know which one has the longest cable and its respective part number? i am looking for this cable to connect my rear camera to the module. if the plug color don't matter, then i can use any cable as long as it's compatible.

and if you have the pictures of the cable just to confirm both end plug, i'll appreciate it.

thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:37 PM   #168
Cam70
Enlisted Member
Rep

The blue cable is the one for the rear.
I used this kit to obtain the cable: (Part 66212361833)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...i/66212361833/
It contained the full reversing camera retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 11:00 PM   #169
gameson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The blue cable is the one for the rear.
I used this kit to obtain the cable: (Part 66212361833)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...i/66212361833/
It contained the full reversing camera retrofit
What happens if side cameras are not installed? Will idrive able to display surround view? Can you take pictures how it looks like?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 12:06 PM   #170
richardthesaint
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F34GT

F34 GT camera fitting

so i am new to this but will give it a shot

i have a 2018 gt and want to retrofit a rear camera and 360 view so i need some help and even a list .

i know it's not a straightforward job and needs coding but other than that in the dark.

car has BMW Widescreen nav and front and rear PDC with car graphic

parts purchased ready

I have original BMW
OEM loom (two parts camera feed and power to module ) front to rear cam.
OEM rear camera
OEM 4 Camera tuner Part Nr 9215011018
OEM complete side door mirrors ( dip , memory , heated , folding with cameras )they have and orange square connector with 6 pins and a round one with what looks like 4 pins.

So to my knowledge i still need .
OEM front camera and video lead ( does this also need power ? ).
Wires to go from where the door mirrors enter the car ( behind the hifi speaker ) to the module in the foot well and same for the opposite door just longer ( do these need power ? ).
Switch for center console and cable .

can anyone help me out with info and part numbers as BMW do a kit i think for the door wires circa £300 do i need this or can i buy some generic leads from the tuner to door mirrors .

thanks out there
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 02:17 PM   #171
lukasz21honc@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: m4

hello I am new to the forum and I have a question if anyone has any step by step how to use E-sys. How to add 5 DL to the system so that I can have a 360 'camera. I have m4 f82 I need Anny help thx
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #172
xs3bt
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92

Missing pics

Hello,

everybody got a copy from the original post, sadly all the images are offline and im verry intrested in the passenger side wire routing.

Thanks a lot
xs3bt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvojehk View Post
NOTE: Like any DIY project, proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your vehicle as a result of attempting this retrofit. This information is simply posted as a reference to help others who may wish to do this project on their own.

Surround view retrofit requires rear PDC and reversing camera to be pre-installed. I didn't have the reversing camera pre-installed so that was my first step. Control unit must be installed in the original location (not in the trunk).

I think the reversing camera retrofit is described pretty well in the other DIY so I will not focus on it.

Part list:

Common parts:
  • 66539302258 Surround view control unit
  • 61119281258 Surround view HSD
  • 66539232797 Bracket, control unit (Not needed if rear view camera is already installed)
  • ------------- Control unit wiring harness (Power, CAN, FBAS) (Not needed if rear view camera is already installed)
  • 07149158182 Fillister head screw with collar (Not needed if rear view camera is already installed)

Rear view camera retrofit:
  • 66539240351 Backup Camera
  • 51247368753 Trunk/Handle mount for camera
  • 61119309154 Part of the HSD harness

Side view retrofit:
  • 07149166316 Fillister head screw x 4
  • 61319252913 Switch (Not universal)
  • 51117324343 Bumper repair kit (camera holders)
  • 83192317925 Adhesive set K6 (optional)
  • 66539240352 Camera x 2

Top view retrofit:
  • 61129259992 Door wiring harness right (Not universal)
  • 61129259975 Door wiring harness left (Not universal)
  • 51167345706 Mirror Right (Not universal)
  • 51167345705 Mirror Left (Not universal)

Misc:
  • Butyl rope (optional)
  • Cable ties
  • Adhesive cloth tape
  • 18mm drill

I hope I didn't forget anything.

Please note that some parts are vehicle dependent.

HSD wiring harness (61119281258)

61119281258 contains 5 HSD cables and CAN wires:
  1. Left Side-view HSD cable
  2. Right Side-view HSD cable
  3. Part of the left Top view HSD cable. From the control unit to the connector marked on the image below. Additional HSD cable in the left door is required. That's why I had to buy 61129259975.
  4. Part of the right Top view HSD cable. From the control unit to the connector marked on the image below. Additional HSD cable in the right door is required. That's why I had to buy 61129259992.
  5. Part of the reversing camera HSD cable. Reversing camera HSD contains 2 parts. Fist part (61119309154) goes from the camera in the trunk to the right back seat. The second cable goes from the right back seat to the control unit (included in 61119281258).

Retrofit price:
I wasn't in a hurry to do the retrofit, so I was waiting for good eBay deals to buy the parts.
Some parts (read HSD cables) were impossible to buy on eBay.
The total cost for the whole retrofit (including reversing camera) was ~1300€.

Installation steps:

Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery!!!

Install Rheingold. Get familiar with it. This will save you a lot of trouble.
Also, detailed installation instructions can be found there.

Top view:
  • Remove the door trim. There is a youtube video from BAVSOUND where is explained how to remove the door trim, it's really helpful.
  • Remove the sound insulation:
  • Replace left and right door wiring harness.
  • Replace left and right side view mirrors.
  • Remove trim panel for pedal mechanism.
  • Remove instrument panel trim, bottom right.
  • Route the cable from the control unit to the door connector.
  • The easiest way to route the cables from the driver's to the passenger's side is shown on the image below:
  • The same way is routed cable for the right Side-view camera.
  • Rheingold says that refitting sound insulation requires additional butyl rope to be applied. I skipped that part because the existing butyl sealed perfectly.

The tricky part was how to connect the right top view cable to the right door connector. I'm referring to the connector below:

There was no enough room for my hand to plug the HSD connector to the dedicated location in the door connector.
I could remove FEM and other parts from the lower right A pillar but I didn't want to do that.
I've used two female jumper wires to lead the HSD cable:

First, I've removed plastic housing from the female pins of the jumper wires.
Then I run them from the outside of the connector through the dedicated HSD hole to the cabin interior.
When I got those 2 female jumper wires inside the cabin I've connected it to the HSD pins and slowly and carefully pulled it out.
Note that you need to hear "click" when the HSD connector is properly connected to the door connector.

Side view:
  • Remove front bumper (DIY can be found on the forum)
  • Use K6 Adhesive set to fasten the camera holders. (Optional)
  • Drill the firewall on the left and the right side (Carefully!!).
  • Route the side-view cables. More details can be found in Rheingold (Installing repair cable for left Side View camera)
  • Install center console switch

As I stated before, Rheingold provides detailed information about all retrofit steps mentioned in the DIY.

Coding:
VO code your car: Add 5DL (and 3AG if you are retrofitting the reversing camera as well).

Enjoy

UPDATE:
roxxor posted an excellent alternative (and probably a bit cheaper) write up:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=39
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #173
lllRazorlll
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Thread bump but I have a 2014 435i with build date of June 2014. I imagine this retrofit should also work
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 05:52 PM   #174
Enel
Rep
Drives: 330i Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enel View Post
61119281258 Surround view HSD
61129259992 Door wiring harness right
61129259975 Door wiring harness left

Unbelivably expensive prices when buying them as new. How do you find those in second hand market? These are my only missing parts to finish the retrofit.
I bought everyting as new and there was a little suprise i really did not expect. I do not need any door wiring harness for my next retrofit, Comfort Access. When you buy door wiring harnesses for Surround View, they are also ready for Comfort Access. That was a big relief for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 09:16 AM   #175
Winstar
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI

Hi all,

unfortunately I crashed my F30 and destroyed my front bumper with 2 side cameras. I've rebought them but now I need the cables that were cut in the crash.

I don't need all the 61119281258 set of cables (I am not sure what is in there, anyway) that is very expensive.
what cables and where can I buy? I think it's a 4 pin HSD female-male right?

what lenght do I need?

thanks to all who will help me.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 02:45 AM   #176
Winstar
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI

update... I only need one (left cable) of the side camera cables, the other one has survived.
My question is if it's possible to find only that cable alone, with the correct bmw connector (with the sealing rubber etc.)
Appreciate 0