F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bmw vehicle check "service"
ARMA SPEED

12-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #23
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I think a free checklist inspection is good customer service, however...

Putting a vehicle on a lift and systematically going through an inspection by an experienced tech can reveal problems early on that could save you money in the long run. So, even if it's just a twenty minute check don't discount the value of it. But as others have indicated you should get some documentation of what you invested in besides clearing a CEL.

It appears this dealer has subscribed to the "pay to play" model so you'd probably be best to shop for an alternative service provider.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-15-2020, 12:22 AM   #24
88JediF36
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i Grand Coupe

My 440i has 38k in it and I just noticed in the connected app that I should have gotten a vehicle check at 37k. With COVID going on I barely drive the car anymore. I’m somewhat contemplating on even getting it done at the moment BUT I may just take care of it so if there’s anything potentially wrong with the car I know.

I hope they don’t charge me $260!!!
Appreciate 1
MTTH231.00
      12-15-2020, 08:11 AM   #25
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

They stuff they look at for the vehicle check is the same stuff that's looked at for my yearly State Inspection, including an OBD scan. That inspection costs $39.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #26
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88JediF36 View Post
My 440i has 38k in it and I just noticed in the connected app that I should have gotten a vehicle check at 37k. With COVID going on I barely drive the car anymore. I’m somewhat contemplating on even getting it done at the moment BUT I may just take care of it so if there’s anything potentially wrong with the car I know.

I hope they don’t charge me $260!!!
Before leaving your car at the dealer, verify what they check and what type of report you get.
If you believe you are paying too much, consider doing that in an independent mechanic.

I already received error scan from my independent mechanic with much more details than what I saw from my BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #27
whatevs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328

I had the same "Vehicle Check Service" done when I went in for an oil change. Does anyone know if BMW could deny any kind of warranty work if we deny this service? (my car is under CPO).
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #28
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevs View Post
I had the same "Vehicle Check Service" done when I went in for an oil change. Does anyone know if BMW could deny any kind of warranty work if we deny this service? (my car is under CPO).
That is the key question. Here is important to find out what the dealer do, then check with your independent how much they charge.
Can BMW deny warranty because you did the vehicle check at an independent mechanic?
Appreciate 1
whatevs136.50
      12-15-2020, 10:09 PM   #29
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

There is no need to have BMW check anything. If you're OCD about it have it done by one of the outfits that do it for free. For instance:
https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...le-inspection/
https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/...car-inspection
https://www.aamco.com/Auto-Repair-Ma...le-Performance
https://www.midas.com/content/pdf/se...rtesycheck.pdf
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      12-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #30
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Are you sure these guys perform the same inspection as BMW? Some of them don't show scanning for errors?
Are you sure BMW will fix for free, if you go to the dealer with an expensive warranty issue, along with no vehicle check performed before? In my view not an OCD, but a legitimate question.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #31
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Look at your warranty agreement. Does it say you have to get a BMW administered vehicle check to maintain your coverage? You may be able to cheat an honest man, but you can't cheat a man who is well informed.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #32
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Look at your warranty agreement. Does it say you have to get a BMW administered vehicle check to maintain your coverage? You may be able to cheat an honest man, but you can't cheat a man who is well informed.
Thanks... I'll check the warranty agreement and confirming your statement, my next check will not be at dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #33
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Just as a point of reference, my dealership offered to perform this "check" today, but would only charge me $65.

I still politely declined...
      12-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #34
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Over here the main reason to get vehicle check done at dealer is the 12 years corrosion / rust warranty. Without a record that vehicle check has been done on time according to their procedures they will reject claims. I had E90 complete front door replaced from that warranty around 8 year mark so it does work.

This practice may of course be different in other parts of the world, and I am not aware that F3x cars would have any such spots where this warranty would even be needed.

Some people in this thread mentioned it is something that can be just changed from idrive to certain date, that is a different thing it is the one with a § sign and it is just a reminder to have a scheduled inspection with the authorities.

With all that it is still too much to pay over 200 for it, here it is 100 something at all dealerships.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      03-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #35
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
The only thing that's free at a BMW dealership is the coffee in the waiting room. I'm surprised they don't all have pay toilets.
Quote:
The only thing that's free at a BMW dealership is the coffee in the waiting room. I'm surprised they don't all have pay toilets.
And when you think about it, even the coffee is NOT FREE, we pay for it in the price of the car!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 06:10 PM   #36
2017F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330iX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
Over here the main reason to get vehicle check done at dealer is the 12 years corrosion / rust warranty. Without a record that vehicle check has been done on time according to their procedures they will reject claims. I had E90 complete front door replaced from that warranty around 8 year mark so it does work.

This practice may of course be different in other parts of the world, and I am not aware that F3x cars would have any such spots where this warranty would even be needed.

Some people in this thread mentioned it is something that can be just changed from idrive to certain date, that is a different thing it is the one with a § sign and it is just a reminder to have a scheduled inspection with the authorities.

With all that it is still too much to pay over 200 for it, here it is 100 something at all dealerships.
That’s exactly it. I purchased the car used in January from a BMW dealer and last month, shortly after my independent mechanic did an oil change, the check vehicle service warning came up - I simply reset it. The dealer had already seen the vehicle the previous month and given the low mileage there was nothing to worry about. The sales advisor did mention to return every 2 years for the rust warranty to remain valid and so far I’ve narrowed it down to the CDN$59.95 (US$47.33) 55 point inspection as being my best and cheapest option to oblige them.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #37
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

BMW's vehicle check is exactly that..a check. They look around the car, check fluids, wipers, tires etc and put it on a lift to look underneath. Anything that needs to be work you pay extra for unless covered by warranty or maintenance plan. If anyone is interested I can perform the vehicle check for you and reset the cluster for $200, way less than the dealer. PM me.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #38
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
And when you think about it, even the coffee is NOT FREE, we pay for it in the price of the car!
Or the over priced service and parts...

These days since waiting areas are closed, they don't even make coffee or offer other little perks in the waiting area!

An indy BMW place I went to recently for my Shockware mod did the inspection for free. They do it for any car regardless of the work being done. It was a nice touch.

Other brand dealerships do it for free as well as part of their general service intake of a vehicle. Not sure why BMW wants to charge $200+ for the honors. I'd be willing to pay for the work...just not what they charge.
      03-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #39
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Or the over priced service and parts...

These days since waiting areas are closed, they don't even make coffee or offer other little perks in the waiting area!
Well, their Value Service is actually very competitive and I get a loaner from my dealership, which is convenient. My dealership also has their coffee, water, soda station open and they have started to allow waiting during service again so I actually prefer that. Whatever items I can get done under Value Service, I will do at the dealership henceforth. I just got my spark plugs and oil change done under this program and it was about $40 cheaper than my indy.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #40
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Well, their Value Service is actually very competitive and I get a loaner from my dealership, which is convenient. My dealership also has their coffee, water, soda station open and they have started to allow waiting during service again so I actually prefer that. Whatever items I can get done under Value Service, I will do at the dealership henceforth. I just got my spark plugs and oil change done under this program and it was about $40 cheaper than my indy.
The value service items are competitive and cheaper than many of the indy's here too. I won't argue that one. Factor in the ability to get loaners and the dealership is 30 miles closer than my closest indy and it's a no brainer.

My only beef is with the $200 "service check".

Things might have changed recently, but back in December when my car was last serviced, the waiting areas were closed, service was by appointment only, and the parts department brought items out to you in your car. You couldn't even drop off your car the night before because people were clogging up the service area and exceeding the allowable number of people in the area. They staggered drop offs all morning to keep it down to 1~2 people at a time.
      03-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #41
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Things might have changed recently, but back in December when my car was last serviced, the waiting areas were closed, service was by appointment only, and the parts department brought items out to you in your car. You couldn't even drop off your car the night before because people were clogging up the service area and exceeding the allowable number of people in the area. They staggered drop offs all morning to keep it down to 1~2 people at a time.
Sounds unusually busy. We have a dozen dealerships in NJ, so I have never seen any that packed. That said, the "partial reopening" is fairly recent because last fall the procedures were similar to what you describe.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #42
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

I took my 2017 340ix to my local dealer at 28k for one of these so called Vehicle Service Checks and I ended up paying only $100 for their discounted oil change, fees and taxes already INCLUDED in the price.

My SA looked at my mileage and said that it is too low for either an engine filter change and said that the cabin filter was up to me, to which I declined. I had my brake fluid flushed a year back as part of the included scheduled maintenance along with an oil change.

I also had a few warranty items addressed for free including them putting on another coolant screw cap for the infamous B58 coolant loss issue. Oh well. They even dropped the undertray to check for coolant leaks and found none. Again, all covered under warranty.

I will say that my SA knows me well and knows I know cars and would rather rip off the next customer. The fact he told me that I didn't need certain things done was great and that certain things would be optional was also refreshing.

All in, I've only spent a grand total of $100 in service charges on my car since I purchased it new 4 years ago. And yes, I did get the multipage inspection printout along with the work order when I went to pay my bill. This is at Norwood BMW if anyone is curious.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #43
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Sounds unusually busy. We have a dozen dealerships in NJ, so I have never seen any that packed. That said, the "partial reopening" is fairly recent because last fall the procedures were similar to what you describe.
Two things working against the dealership.

1. It's a pretty small facility.
2. It's only one of 4 dealerships in the metro area, the others are all 30~40 miles away on the opposite side of the metro area to the west. The next metro areas with dealerships in any direction are 1.5~4 hours away.
      12-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #44
Santi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive F30 N20

idle thread. and i'm a noob.

i opted out of this 'vehicle check' and the diff was that my SA walked me thru what was being done and gave me a sheet of the check list. a visual inspection. anything that cannot be seen directly comes with an extra cost.

did the oil change and all (promo ), but also opted out of the cabin filter replacement. this will be a youtube activity.

how do i reset the vehicle check warning?

thanks.
Appreciate 0