F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drivetrain Noises xDrive Cars
proTUNING Freaks

04-08-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
cameron_jf30d
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Drivetrain Noises xDrive Cars

Has anyone else experienced drivetrain noise similar to the groaning of a wheel bearing but the wheel bearing is not the problem?

My '14 328d xDrive sedan just rolled over 100k miles yesterday and it had been at the dealer for a week. They could not duplicate the noise other than the road noise from the noisey RunFlat Pirelli Sottozero Snows that are on the car, simply stating that "OEM" all-seasons would fix the problem. So I kind of threw a fit and told them I wasn't paying Diag fees after I just picked the car up yesterday and they magically found $2300 worth of stuff the car needed even though a month ago it got yet another couple grand worth of stuff done... Anyway I picked it back up again today and decided to drive the car again, just me this time no tech in the car. I drove about 100 miles and the noise came back after about 40 miles of driving so all the drivetrain components would be pretty warm about that time.

I'm getting a really bad groaning and nearly every single wheel bearing save for the passenger front have been replaced in my ownership from 44,625 miles in April 2017. So now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I'm having a front differential issue? Arghh!!! I hate going to the dealer it's always a hastle and it seems they like to move at the pace of a snail. My car has already as of today been there a week and the same thing last visit. And the only reason I continue to go back is that I had purchased an extended warranty through them that carries a $100 deductible if I bring the car to the selling dealer. The warranty has covered a plethora of things at this point so IMO money well spent. I paid $2990 for the warranty and so far they have done approximately $10k worth of things covered by the warranty outside of the Factory and CPO warranties the car had when I purchased.

If anyone has experienced this please shed some light!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Does it sound like the center support bearing on the driveshaft? Mine makes a slight noise (always has) when on throttle. It's not uncommon (also not really an issue).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #3
cameron_jf30d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Does it sound like the center support bearing? Mine makes a slight noise (always has) when on throttle.
Not really so mine has always made noise as well. And I know this is slightly characteristic of xDrive cars. It's just odd that they wouldn't even take the front drive shaft out to eliminate the front part of the drivetrain especially on a higher mileage vehicle. So the noise really started a few months ago and I didn't pay too much attention to it. But this visit they replaced the driveshaft guibo at the rear diff, did an alignment, front thrust arm bushings (again in the last 2.5 years... weird), and about a month ago they did an EGR cooler gasket and driver front wheel bearing (this was supposed to "fix" the noise). But after picking it up yesterday the noise is really bad, like I can hear it over the radio bad and you can feel a vibration correlating to the noise in the floorboard. My thoughts are either front diff, t-case, or front driveshaft is toast.

I may take the front driveshaft out after work tomorrow and drive it through the weekend without it to see if I can get the noise to come back. I just know this isn't tire noise and the local dealer is convinced it's the snows causing the noise now.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

I think it depends.

Disconnecting the front shaft would prove nothing, since the differential would still be spinning. This may be a bit of a challenge. If this was my car, I would pull a sample of front diff oil through its filler hole.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
cameron_jf30d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
I think it depends.

Disconnecting the front shaft would prove nothing, since the differential would still be spinning. This may be a bit of a challenge. If this was my car, I would pull a sample of front diff oil through its filler hole.
Well it wouldn't be spinning if I drive the car on a lift. That's what I'm getting at. I just had the diff service done not long ago and the fluid didn't have any out of the ordinary smell or contamination. (I did the 4x4 service with the use of a friend's shop and lifts)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #6
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron_jf30d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
I think it depends.

Well it wouldn't be spinning if I drive the car on a lift. That's what I'm getting at. I just had the diff service done not long ago and the fluid didn't have any out of the ordinary smell or contamination. (I did the 4x4 service with the use of a friend's shop and lifts)
Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same problem. My t case was replaced under warranty about 20k miles ago.
Appreciate 0