F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Transmission/gearbox noise and shake on cold start
Extreme Powerhouse

06-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
Rattlesnake86
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F36 420D M Sports

Transmission/gearbox noise and shake on cold start

Howdy,

I have an issue and wanted to hear your thoughts.

I own an 2016 4 series, B47 engine (190hp), ZF 8HP automatic transmission.

I bought the car last year, having 89k miles.
Ever since I bought it, at cold start (after staying at least one night off), in P, I hear a strange noise (it looks like a metal rod, which engages or disengages something), and there is a slight shock/bump, as if the car tends to move a little. This happens 1-2 seconds after starting the engine.

Then, that shock seems to be felt when starting the car during the day again, but much less intense than at the first start in the morning. However, the noise can only be heard in the morning, at the cold start.

The car has 100K miles now, it's been like this since I got it, a year ago, but only now have I started to pay attention to this.
I must mention that the gearbox works flawlessly, shows no signs of hesitation or problem in shifting whatsoever.

Could it be something dying out there? I'm curious if you ever experienced this.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:15 AM   #2
Neverlast
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 LCI 320d

Hi, the only thing that happened to me once is having the car vibrate in Park (car starts fine in garage but once outside where its colder when I put back in Park it occurs). Other than that there is a very slight push when going into D but only on the first start.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 05:22 AM   #3
Uni-Rapide
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Hi Rattlesnake86 I have the same issue and would like to know if yours was ever solved?

I have a 2018 340i with about 27k km’s. Took it to the dealer last week because I’m still under warranty. They said they’re not familiar with the issue and couldn’t find any error codes. Nonetheless they did a software update and apparently reset the adaptations. Unfortunately it didn’t help, issue is still there.
They are going to take it up with BMW and inform me when there is any news on this subject.

Last edited by Uni-Rapide; 05-16-2021 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
shoman24v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 SDrive28i

Ah, I finally found a post with the same issue. I just posted in the F30 section and included a video. I too have the cold start jolt after starting the car. Doesn't appear to be present when the car is warm. I have an 2018 330i with only 14k miles. Did anyone else get this issue solved? Uni-Rapide, any info?

| 2018 330i | 14k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2017 X3 sDrive28i | 39k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Lighting Package | Alpine White/Ivory White Nevada Leather w/Red Stitching |

Last edited by shoman24v; 05-24-2021 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0