F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Loose Coil Packs
proTUNING Freaks

04-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
OGxFUBAR
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i GT

Loose Coil Packs

Hey, I just had new spark plugs and coil packs redone on my '14 BMW 328i GT Yesterday.

Drove around town for a bit and everything was great, I hit the open road going home and opened her up, and when i pulled in my driveway, i smelled burning and saw smoke coming from the engine when i lifted the hood.

Took it back to the mechanic...'oh its just your Oil Fill Cap, buy a new one and youll be ok.

So im playing around in the engine inspecting whats been down, and out of interest i poked a coil pack. and the coil pack joyfully just moves around. I check all coilpacks and they are all floating. The boot is sitting above the cylinder and if i push down on them gentle to get the boot to fit snug, it just slowly raises back up. Should they be like this? I could probably blow on to a coil pack and get it to move a little bit, so i wonder what happens when i drive and hit bumps...

Edit; Worth noting, that it went in for a misfire, bad sparks and coils. i changed them all. After i poked the coilpack i had a misfire again.. I hate stealerships and do not want to go back...even if it is to get the work done right.

Double edit: I say Boot. I mean the rubber on the top of the ignition coil that i would assume molds around the cylinder tube when it goes in.

Last edited by OGxFUBAR; 04-27-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Orion4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

That's been known to happen if the mechanic puts too much Dielectric grease in the boot. If used at all, it should be a very minimal amount. If that's the case, take a Q-tip and clean out the grease in the boot and wipe off the insulator.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
OGxFUBAR
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
That's been known to happen if the mechanic puts too much Dielectric grease in the boot. If used at all, it should be a very minimal amount. If that's the case, take a Q-tip and clean out the grease in the boot and wipe off the insulator.
This would be it. My mechanic said the coil packs were a pain to get out. So he made sure to put extra grease....Iím hitting a brick wall with my face with this 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Orion4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

You may want to look for a different mechanic. They are NOT difficult to remove. Just firm persisent pressure pulling up with something like a screwdriver or socket extension slid through the top piece>
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
ooshnoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGxFUBAR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
This would be it. My mechanic said the coil packs were a pain to get out. So he made sure to put extra grease....I’m hitting a brick wall with my face with this 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️
You need a new mechanic