F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Schroth Quick Fit in my F-series
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-19-2018, 01:01 AM   #1
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
705
Rep
1,638
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Schroth Quick Fit in my F-series

Hi

The BMW E and F-series isn't really that different so I decided to fit som Quick Fit as H-harnesses are a requirement on some tracks here in China.

45min job - perfect fit
Attached Images
      
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 1
Solidjake490.00

      08-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
Solidjake
\_(ツ)_/
Solidjake's Avatar
Poland
490
Rep
1,111
Posts

Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC/Philly

iTrader: (2)

Thanks!!
__________________
Tensioner/belt DIY | Side skirt extension DIY

Apex SM-10/PSS | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Intake/Exhaust
Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Brakes | Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600
Bootmod3 Stg 1 93 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
skier_du
Private First Class
skier_du's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
119
Posts

Drives: 335Xi
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Very nice!
One of the things holding me back from these is they are not made specifically for the F30. I'm wondering if they will not pass tech inspection with some of the organizations as a result. I'd love to hear back if they have worked or not from you, or anyone with experience in this.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
705
Rep
1,638
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Very nice!
One of the things holding me back from these is they are not made specifically for the F30. I'm wondering if they will not pass tech inspection with some of the organizations as a result. I'd love to hear back if they have worked or not from you, or anyone with experience in this.
Late reply and the inspectors hardly care about your car here in China, but I have used them on two trackdays now without any problems. Great to feel safe in the car
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
FaRKle!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1023
Rep
1,547
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

I have Quick Fit Pros in my F31 and haven't had any issues with tech inspections. All the events I've been to typically require you to have that done prior to the event and the shops don't ask about if you're using the stock belts or a Quick Fit. The HPDE clubs have rules about 4-pt harnesses, but the Quick Fit meets those.

One thing the Quick Fits have allowed me to do is use left foot braking reliably. Prior, I was using the dead pedal to stabilize myself a lot, but with the Quick Fits I now use my left foot for all braking. This has allowed me to get on the throttle earlier while keeping the car smooth and has made a good difference in lap times.
Appreciate 2
harkes704.50

      02-22-2019, 12:05 AM   #6
skier_du
Private First Class
skier_du's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
119
Posts

Drives: 335Xi
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Good info. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
Drlu23
Private
Drlu23's Avatar
9
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: X1 Xdrive 28i, 328 I Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyde Park NY

iTrader: (0)

Hey, I noticed in your picture that the belts are outside of the head-rest brackets. I am not sure, as I don't have a set yet, but shouldn't the shoulder harness be inside the head-rest brackets?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 11:38 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1023
Rep
1,547
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlu23 View Post
Hey, I noticed in your picture that the belts are outside of the head-rest brackets. I am not sure, as I don't have a set yet, but shouldn't the shoulder harness be inside the head-rest brackets?
You're right, he should be running them between the posts. That's how I run mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:43 AM   #9
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
705
Rep
1,638
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlu23 View Post
Hey, I noticed in your picture that the belts are outside of the head-rest brackets. I am not sure, as I don't have a set yet, but shouldn't the shoulder harness be inside the head-rest brackets?
Not so sure. They will be really tight around your neck then - count be very uncomfortable. If they are tightened properly I cannot see how they can possibly go anywhere else in a crash.
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
FaRKle!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1023
Rep
1,547
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Not so sure. They will be really tight around your neck then - count be very uncomfortable. If they are tightened properly I cannot see how they can possibly go anywhere else in a crash.
In a crash things flex such that the belts can slide off of the seat shoulders if they're not routed between the posts. Then you're no longer secured...
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
386
Rep
720
Posts

Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Not so sure. They will be really tight around your neck then - count be very uncomfortable. If they are tightened properly I cannot see how they can possibly go anywhere else in a crash.
I could see that being too tight on me. I would be too broad shouldered and tall to get the belts laying flat enough over me.

However, I do appreciate the need to have them fixed since I myself be worried about them potentially slipping and injuring my arms in a wreck. If I were to do something like this I'd attach a sturdy leather loop to both headrest supports and route the belts through, or something similar. Some cars have seats better shaped to hold a shoulder restraint in place, like a BRZ/86, but I still wouldn't be comfortable only relying on friction holding it on top of the seat.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #12
FaRKle!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1023
Rep
1,547
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
I could see that being too tight on me. I would be too broad shouldered and tall to get the belts laying flat enough over me.

However, I do appreciate the need to have them fixed since I myself be worried about them potentially slipping and injuring my arms in a wreck. If I were to do something like this I'd attach a sturdy leather loop to both headrest supports and route the belts through, or something similar. Some cars have seats better shaped to hold a shoulder restraint in place, like a BRZ/86, but I still wouldn't be comfortable only relying on friction holding it on top of the seat.
One of the F8x guys had a custom piece of webbing made to keep the straps together, you could do the same.

Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #13
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
705
Rep
1,638
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
One of the F8x guys had a custom piece of webbing made to keep the straps together, you could do the same.

Nice solution
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #14
zinner
Captain
zinner's Avatar
415
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i / 2010 335d
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

They discourage anything like this in my chapter unless you have a caged car with a true 5 point. They explain it better than I could but paraphrasing ,as others have, mentioned during a crash and the forces involved they aren't as safe as the factory systems even being only 3 point.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #15
328dX
David
328dX's Avatar
United_States
352
Rep
1,036
Posts

Drives: 2015 328dX wagon
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs down from me.

This should no way be legal at any track, let alone driving like that, are you familiar with submarining?

Get a proper 6 point or use your standard seat belt.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #16
FaRKle!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1023
Rep
1,547
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
Thumbs down from me.

This should no way be legal at any track, let alone driving like that, are you familiar with submarining?

Get a proper 6 point or use your standard seat belt.
I recommend reading up on how Schroth designed the quick fit to prevent submarining.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
328dX
David
328dX's Avatar
United_States
352
Rep
1,036
Posts

Drives: 2015 328dX wagon
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I recommend reading up on how Schroth designed the quick fit to prevent submarining.
I don't see any ASM on those belts, not only that, the belt placement isn't confined between the headrest mounts. Schroth even says it was designed to be used with a HANS device
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #18
FaRKle!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1023
Rep
1,547
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
I don't see any ASM on those belts, not only that, the belt placement isn't confined between the headrest mounts. Schroth even says it was designed to be used with a HANS device
I think you need to read a bit more closely... They absolutely have ASM (just look at the product specific page). Also if you look at the instructions it tells you to route the belts between the headrest posts.

You have the HANS thing backwards. It's not that the product needs HANS, but rather the Pro model gives you the option of using one if you want, vs the standard model isn't HANS compatible.

There's also plenty of videos showing how these things work.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST