F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Schwaben BMW/Mini Scanner: Unable to diagnose individual control units
European Auto Source (EAS)

09-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
cfm56d7b
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Schwaben BMW/Mini Scanner: Unable to diagnose individual control units

The scanner was just replaced by Turner Motorsports. The software is the very latest.

For the record, automatic VIN recognition never worked.

After an automated scan has been completed, no faults were found - which was a bit unusual.

The tests were executed while the car was idling.

I selected one of the control units - Instrument Cluster - for manual scan and "unable to communicate" message appeared. Other control unit diagnostic scans also failed due to the same message appearing.

Any insights?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:54 AM   #2
IraHayes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 635csi

I bought the same unit from ECS tuning (same company as turner motorsport) and had a similar issue. I would ask to return it for an exchange again, and ask them to actually test the unit they replace it with. That’s what I did when I asked them to exchange mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:43 AM   #3
cfm56d7b
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
I bought the same unit from ECS tuning (same company as turner motorsport) and had a similar issue. I would ask to return it for an exchange again, and ask them to actually test the unit they replace it with. That’s what I did when I asked them to exchange mine.
Well - this unit is actually a replacement. The storage card tray in the original unit broke.

I agree with you. Will start the exchange process.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #4
Blocke
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

I had the same issues. Vin read never worked. Even when I manually entered the VIN, it wouldn’t communicate with certain modules or it would say “function unavailable” or some BS. Updated it to the current SW, etc. Thing didn’t do anything more than a $20 OBD scanner I got at autozone years ago. I ended up returning it to ECS. Big disappointment.
Appreciate 0