F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Gyeon Tire Q2. Leading by a mile.
Studio RSR

10-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #23
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
I’m really not finding it lasts well at all. A bit of rain or even a few miles and it looks like nothing is applied to the tyres.
Have you cleaned the tyre using the dedicated tyre cleaner? Also the Q2 has to be applied to bone dry tyres preferably warmed with a hairdryer.

I'm finding it's outlasting anything I've used before.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 02:10 AM   #24
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Yes I am using the tyre cleaner and drying the tyres with heated air from my pet dryer. Also kept in a warm garage for at least overnight before driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #25
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes I am using the tyre cleaner and drying the tyres with heated air from my pet dryer. Also kept in a warm garage for at least overnight before driving.
That's weird, I'm not experiencing that at all, the pic I've just posted is just short of two months and heavy use with two pressure washes, I still think it looks pretty good and certainly like it's still coated with something.

I prefer it to look a little more dressed at this point though so gave it another coat after a clean with the tyre cleaner.

Did you use a stiff brush to agitate the cleaner? I use a nail brush. Just trying to find out were there's a difference in application and prep that might be causing this for you. TBH though sounds like you're pretty clued up detailing wise if you have a pet blow dryer for drying the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #26
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Thanks and yes I spend many an hour detailing my cars. Yes use a little nail brush on the tyres with the tyre cleaner. Was a bit surprised how quickly the tyre shine disappears. Have applied again today so will see how it lasts.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #27
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I’m really not finding it lasts well at all. A bit of rain or even a few miles and it looks like nothing is applied to the tyres.
I'm not sure why you're only getting a few miles out of this, it's strange, after your post I did a test, cleaned it back and applied again. I had to do a trip to Leeds and back with total of 300 miles, it turned out these were 300 very wet miles too.

When I returned it the tyres were very dirty and looked pretty bare. I washed the car today and cleaned the tyres with APC and the jet wash. Straight away they looked blacker but not great, to get this coating to come back to life I found drying the tyre and then really buffing with w dry microfibre brings it back. It looks so much better after this and I think as I wash my car every three or four weeks I think I could easily skip and application every other wash. As I said before if doesn't look "wet" like its just been applied, but it still looks great and definitely like there is a coating still on the tyre. I've taken pictures of it after the wash and being buffed, then I've done a 50/50 pic with one side having another wipe over. For me it still exceeds any other tyre dressing, for look, longevity and clean application, I've had no issues with sling.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #28
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

I thought it was decent at first but it isn’t lasting that long and is spraying onto the bodywork far too much.

Quite disappointed really.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #29
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
I thought it was decent at first but it isn’t lasting that long and is spraying onto the bodywork far too much.

How much are you putting on?!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #30
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
Quote:
I thought it was decent at first but it isn't lasting that long and is spraying onto the bodywork far too much.

Not a lot, enough for about a quarter of a tyre at a time, don't get me wrong it looks great and I'm not sure a white car is the best benchmark but it does slap around a bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #31
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought it was decent at first but it isn't lasting that long and is spraying onto the bodywork far too much.

Not a lot, enough for about a quarter of a tyre at a time, don't get me wrong it looks great and I'm not sure a white car is the best benchmark but it does slap around a bit.
Do you mean you mean one pump of product per quarter of a tyre?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #32
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Enough to go round a quarter of a tyre.

Are you on commission?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:46 AM   #33
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Like the sound of this (I've been using VRP for years, as I find that lasts well, easy to apply on wet or dry tyres, doesn't get flung off either and doesn't leave the tyres a sticky black mess like Megs, etc - and also works wonders on black plastic trim), but not sure I can be fucked with having to clean, dry and heat the tyres before application to be honest, seems like an awful lot of effort.
      10-21-2019, 04:10 AM   #34
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Enough to go round a quarter of a tyre.

Are you on commission?
Just wondering how much you were applying if you're getting sling. I use one pump for the whole tyre. It goes a long way if you really work it in.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 04:58 AM   #35
davyk31
Major General
Rep

What do you use to apply it? I have one of the little shaped sponge application pads specifically made for tyres but it is starting to break up I guess with the ribbed surface of the tyres and need to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #36
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What do you use to apply it? I have one of the little shaped sponge application pads specifically made for tyres but it is starting to break up I guess with the ribbed surface of the tyres and need to replace it.
I use a small square of Costco microfibre. It pulls all the excess product out of the sidewall detail and doesn't just soak up the product. I've used sponge previously too.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #37
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Think my search for a good tyre shine continues. Applied this stuff on Sat and the car did not move until today when
it has done about 10 miles on totally dry roads. Really looks like nothing has been applied and there is a little fling up the side. The fling is not a huge amount as u applied sparingly but shows on a white car.

Next product please to throw my money at lol
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #38
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Think my search for a good tyre shine continues. Applied this stuff on Sat and the car did not move until today when
it has done about 10 miles on totally dry roads. Really looks like nothing has been applied and there is a little fling up the side. The fling is not a huge amount as u applied sparingly but shows on a white car.

Next product please to throw my money at lol
I'm out of suggestions as this is the best stuff I've ever used, by quite a leap. I'm really getting good results with it. Good luck with your hunt though, if you find something do report back!!

Have you used any of the tyre waxes like dodo juice?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #39
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Haven't tried the Dodo Juice. I really do think that the tyre brand can make a huge difference to the performance of the tyre shine. Some works well on some brands and some on others.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #40
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Haven't tried the Dodo Juice. I really do think that the tyre brand can make a huge difference to the performance of the tyre shine. Some works well on some brands and some on others.
That's an interesting point, Michelin tyres seem to have a suede type soft texture sidewall on some tyres now, so might give more for the tyre shine to cling to. The Bridgestone tyres I have currently are quite a smooth sidewall meaning there's less for it to hold onto.

Another good reason to get PS4S next.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #41
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So I have an update with regards to the performance of this stuff, a few people were saying that it doesn't last that long, but I was finding it really did.

Well I had my Bridgestones changed to Goodyear F1 AS2s today at Costco, when I got home I applied the Gyeon Q2 tire in the same way as usual. I found on the new tyres that it went on completely differently, seemed to take a lot more and not give as good a finish as on the Bridgestones. From the feeling as it was going on I'm also not sure it's going to last on these new tyres.

It seems that tyre brand and side wall finish do have a large part to play in this as was suggested by Davyk31 previously.

On another note the Goodyear seem much better than the Bridgestones, ride is less crashy.
Appreciate 0