F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner- The most amazing thing ever
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #23
Orion4
Major
United_States
255
Rep
1,131
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Its not a magic elixir for your engine. Your results will be pretty much dependent upon how many miles you have on your engine and how much buildup has occurred on the tips of your injectors and in the chambers that may be distorting or restricting the spray pattern or impeding complete combustion.

I've used it regularily in both my E90 (128K miles) and F30 (68K miles- so far) 335i cars about every 5k miles. So i don't experience a magical boost in performance. I do note that my gas mileage and performance has remained good over the life of my ownership. I typically average about 31-32 mpg at highway speeds so i suspect my injectors and combustion chambers are remaining fairly clean so as not to disturb the efficiency of the combustion process.

Compared to some of the "Snake Oil" being pushed on late night TV and the Web, i feel it's a good value and beneficial. Especially when the Auto parts stores have to 2 for 1 sales!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #24
BimmerF32_430i
Major
BimmerF32_430i's Avatar
267
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (6)

my F30 is nearing 100K so I'm hoping for that magical boost
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #25
cdgatti
Colonel
cdgatti's Avatar
229
Rep
2,533
Posts

Drives: e90 328i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: KY

iTrader: (4)

other good products, that I feel my car responds to are the LiquiMoly line of cleaners. I use the Jectron and the Valve Cleaner product. My car will run noticeably smoother and have better throttle response if I do these treatments about 1/year.
__________________
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 02:20 AM   #26
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
1679
Rep
2,704
Posts

Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

i use Costco and have never felt that 'feeling' that their gas did anything special except cost less.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #27
Kolyan2k
Major General
471
Rep
5,449
Posts

Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s View Post
I've filled up with Shell before but I noticed a subtle difference. The fuel system cleaner really did it for me. I think the carbon deposits were starting to clog up my fuel injectors. From now on, I'll only use top tier gas and the fuel system cleaner every 5,000 miles or so.
Actually fuel injectors are the ones that clean carbon deposits on port injection cars. On DI cars fuel doesn't hit intake valves so that's where carbon builds up, and you can only clean it with walnut shell blasting

Probably wouldn't hurt to use Chevron anyway, but I wouldn't do it every 5k miles. I've used them maybe every 20-30k miles and haven't really noticed any difference
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #28
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
41
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Actually fuel injectors are the ones that clean carbon deposits on port injection cars. On DI cars fuel doesn't hit intake valves so that's where carbon builds up, and you can only clean it with walnut shell blasting

Probably wouldn't hurt to use Chevron anyway, but I wouldn't do it every 5k miles. I've used them maybe every 20-30k miles and haven't really noticed any difference
+1

Fuel additives does nothing in removing carbon buildup for our direct injection engines... It only works if the fuel actually reaches (washes) the valves.

However that said, I still find myself using techron every 3-5 months....

Did a walnut blasting at 80k, not too much buildup.
__________________
328i
Custom Tune @ 1.5bar | GruppeM Air Intake | Dinan Springs | CF Front Strut Bar | ER Charge Pipes | ER Intercooler | GFB DV+ | AEM Meth Kit

Removed: BMS JB4 N20 | ER Downpipe | BMS OCC
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #29
disfunk
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hongkong

iTrader: (0)

How about motorvac what do they clean
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #30
DTRJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
16
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2020 X4M40I COMING SOON,
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: EAST COAST

iTrader: (0)

Techron And Bmw Fuel System Cleaner Are One In The Same. Turn Over The Bmw Bottle, And Chevron Techron Is Stamped On The Bottom. Gm Also Does The Same Thing. The Techron At Costco However Is Not The Same. It Is Not The Concentrated Product According To My Phone Call To Chevron, And Is Not As Strong
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #31
cncmastr
Lieutenant Colonel
cncmastr's Avatar
United_States
442
Rep
1,547
Posts

Drives: E30, E46 M3, E53, E39, F31
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toms River, NJ

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to cncmastr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRJ
Techron And Bmw Fuel System Cleaner Are One In The Same. Turn Over The Bmw Bottle, And Chevron Techron Is Stamped On The Bottom. Gm Also Does The Same Thing. The Techron At Costco However Is Not The Same. It Is Not The Concentrated Product According To My Phone Call To Chevron, And Is Not As Strong
Was it hard typing that all in Sentence Case?
__________________
Appreciate 2
DrBall21.00

      08-03-2016, 01:35 AM   #32
goj
Brigadier General
goj's Avatar
United_States
2176
Rep
3,610
Posts

Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Just like proper maintenance..quality gas is alway my priority. Even if it's a bit more expensive I only use Shell and Chevron.

The inline 6 treats me well, so I treat it well
__________________
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, APEX EC-7
Instagram: @brandonsclean3
Appreciate 1
ErkanTR16457.50

      11-01-2017, 02:12 AM   #33
jap335
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i e93
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Livermore, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s View Post
I've filled up with Shell before but I noticed a subtle difference. The fuel system cleaner really did it for me. I think the carbon deposits were starting to clog up my fuel injectors. From now on, I'll only use top tier gas and the fuel system cleaner every 5,000 miles or so.
i just got a 2009 335i with 100k miles and put in the Techron cleaner 1000 miles ago and it helped a ton. Afterward now though I seem to hear more of a ticking. Any idea why that could be?
Also, I want to put in the Techron again today. Is it too soon? If so, y is it too soon?

I only use 91 chevron gas btw.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #34
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Mr. Tasty's Avatar
406
Rep
741
Posts

Drives: AW 335i Mperformance
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Gilbert

iTrader: (0)

snake oil
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:03 AM   #35
AshlandTE87
Private First Class
16
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport 6sp
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Your mom's house

iTrader: (0)

Using Techron (black bottle) is very popular amongst the E39 crowd and often run before an oil change. There is a noticeable difference in how dirty the oil is with and without, so it does work. I've got 308k miles on my 2001 525 so I'm sticking with my yrs old regimen of Techron.

With that said, I believe our F30 owner's manual states that top tier gas is highly recommended. My manual even states BP as the preferred fuel, though I seek out Shell because there are not many BP stations close to where I live. When I purchased my car I asked about walnut blasting, etc that I had read about. They told me it's not an issue if sticking to top tier gas AND using a bottle of cleaner every 3-4 months. I bought a license plate holder that day from the dealer with the discount and the SA suggested I grab a couple bottles of cleaner since I was getting a discount. Parts guys hands them to me and I looked at the SA and said "this looks like rebranded Techron". He said yep, buy it at Walmart when you need it next.

Now, having said all this and pulling from my experience/regimen on my M54 engine, I do not use Techron every 3k miles on my F30. I figure that if it makes the oil dirtier due to cleaning out deposits/carbon from anywhere that's exposed to gasoline, then I'd rather not run dirty oil for 2k miles before an oil change. I follow the same practice and run a bottle or two through right before an oil change.

To each there own. I plan on keeping the car until it falls apart and am akin to following some of the same practices I have had in place on my 525 since it seems to me at least, to work. And, a bottle of Techron at <$5 at Walmart isn't going to bankrupt me.

I should also note that I do NOT use top tier gas in my 525. I use the cheapest stuff I can find and often mix a ratio of 87 octane w/93 to get 91 in the end. So yes, there is more crud from more surfaces (like valves) that gets cleaned out.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #36
123Britt
Captain
United_States
150
Rep
643
Posts

Drives: 15 M235i AT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Madison, Alabama

iTrader: (0)

BMW DEALER's SELL Techron

But tend to use BG 44k in the service dept.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #37
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
31
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshlandTE87 View Post
Using Techron (black bottle) is very popular amongst the E39 crowd and often run before an oil change. There is a noticeable difference in how dirty the oil is with and without, so it does work. I've got 308k miles on my 2001 525 so I'm sticking with my yrs old regimen of Techron.

With that said, I believe our F30 owner's manual states that top tier gas is highly recommended. My manual even states BP as the preferred fuel, though I seek out Shell because there are not many BP stations close to where I live. When I purchased my car I asked about walnut blasting, etc that I had read about. They told me it's not an issue if sticking to top tier gas AND using a bottle of cleaner every 3-4 months. I bought a license plate holder that day from the dealer with the discount and the SA suggested I grab a couple bottles of cleaner since I was getting a discount. Parts guys hands them to me and I looked at the SA and said "this looks like rebranded Techron". He said yep, buy it at Walmart when you need it next.

Now, having said all this and pulling from my experience/regimen on my M54 engine, I do not use Techron every 3k miles on my F30. I figure that if it makes the oil dirtier due to cleaning out deposits/carbon from anywhere that's exposed to gasoline, then I'd rather not run dirty oil for 2k miles before an oil change. I follow the same practice and run a bottle or two through right before an oil change.

To each there own. I plan on keeping the car until it falls apart and am akin to following some of the same practices I have had in place on my 525 since it seems to me at least, to work. And, a bottle of Techron at <$5 at Walmart isn't going to bankrupt me.

I should also note that I do NOT use top tier gas in my 525. I use the cheapest stuff I can find and often mix a ratio of 87 octane w/93 to get 91 in the end. So yes, there is more crud from more surfaces (like valves) that gets cleaned out.
Your 525 isn't direct injected, so yes your intake valves would be exposed to the fuel-injected cleaning agent. You wouldn't see this benefit with the direct-injected N54/N55.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz3244.50

      11-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #38
AshlandTE87
Private First Class
16
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport 6sp
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Your mom's house

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestodabest View Post
Your 525 isn't direct injected, so yes your intake valves would be exposed to the fuel-injected cleaning agent. You wouldn't see this benefit with the direct-injected N54/N55.
Correct about the M54 not being DI. I've always assumed that anywhere gasoline combined with combustion and/or high heat occurs, there is opportunity for some carbon depositing to take place and therefore, an opportunity to clean it off/out. If Techron were $50 a bottle or some ridiculous price rather than $4 something, I'd probably spend more time researching and analyzing the cost vs benefit aspect of.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #39
insanecoder
Brigadier General
1341
Rep
3,204
Posts

Drives: 340isDrive
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

The only fuel additive I use..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #40
lkoyanagi
Registered
2
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2004 Lexus RX330
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

Lexus

I bought a 2004 Lexus Rx330 with 97,000 miles and a Techron cleaner bottle vastly improves throttle response and acceleration. For cars that are lagging, it is not snake oil no matter the age. I surmise that certain gas brands will deposit gum or sticky stuff in the injectors. A dealer cleanout for $100 will have the same effect, if it needs it. So, with it you have a near new performing car, if it needs it. I buy mine at Costco. Techron at the gas station is not enough, they dont say how much the content is. Buildup will occur regardless, no matter how you drive.
Appreciate 1
ooshnoo517.00

      01-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #41
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
46
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 2009 328I M sp, 2017 X1 M sp
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reno/Tahoe

iTrader: (0)

'This stuff used to work wonders on Audi/Vw motors in years past...but that was when the fuel injectors were in the intake ports....we used to dump two bottles into a 1/2 tank of gas...run through...repeat, then do an oil change due to the concentration of cleaner used. Really cleaned up the injectors and more importantly did a decent job of decarbonizing the intake valves (these deposits absorb fuel during start up and cause some problems).
Now with most car makers going to "direct injection" to improve efficiency...all the cleaner in the world won't help...no fuel is touching the backs of the intakes. I do remember seeing a write up on a motor using a combo of port and direct injection to help with this issue..but the direct only motors are out of luck...blasting the intake valve with walnut shells at about 50K miles is the fix...
but costs a heck of alot more than a few bottles of Techron!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #42
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1412
Rep
7,764
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

I use Berryman B12 every 30k miles.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #43
Fronttwelv
Second Lieutenant
Fronttwelv's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: 14 328i xdrive msport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

In my past two DI cars I ran a half bottle of Seafoam through the vacuum line going into the intake. The car smoked like hell. Instructions: Slowly let the hose suck in the fluid, then when a little is left let it suck the rest of it in. The car will stall out. Let sit for 15 mins. (its supposed to soak the carbon deposits in the intake. Most say Seafoam and using this method is "snake-oil'. My experience has been it really smoothed out the idle, restored lost fuel consumption and power. Also total hooligan rolling down the street with white clouds bursting out of your tailpipe!
__________________
Present: 2014 f30 328xi MSport, 1992 VW GTi VR6 swapped
Past: 2010 335i 6 speed; 2008 VW GTi stage 2, 2004 Subie WRX FBO, 2003 20th Anny VW GTi FBO
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #44
Littlebear
Major Major
Littlebear's Avatar
United_States
128
Rep
455
Posts

Drives: 2017 330i
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brklyn. Got a problem wit dat?

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronttwelv View Post
In my past two DI cars I ran a half bottle of Seafoam through the vacuum line going into the intake. The car smoked like hell. Instructions: Slowly let the hose suck in the fluid, then when a little is left let it suck the rest of it in. The car will stall out. Let sit for 15 mins. (its supposed to soak the carbon deposits in the intake. Most say Seafoam and using this method is "snake-oil'. My experience has been it really smoothed out the idle, restored lost fuel consumption and power. Also total hooligan rolling down the street with white clouds bursting out of your tailpipe!
Yes, I used to do this with my hopped-up E30.
We called it giving the car a "bong hit"!

Murf
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
chevron, fuel consumption, fuel injectors, fuel system cleaner, techron

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST