F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Help with door lock issue
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Exclamation Help with door lock issue

I hope someone can help me out here. My 2013 335xi came down with the dreaded door lock issue - the one where it doesn't unlock when you pull the handle.

Long story short, I took it to the local dealer to fix and got charged a diagnostic fee for them to tell me they lubricated the parts that should have been lubricated every oil change.

Guess what? It happened again today - so I guess they didn't fix anything. So I'm mad as a hornet and BMW Canada is not helping out. Go figure.

Can someone post or share with me the full version of TSB 51 26 15, dated Sep 1, 2015? This is the one that deals with the improper routing of the bowden cables. I'd like to see what BMW recommends to do to fix the issue since I won't get a straight answer from the dealership.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Ok guys - for anyone that runs into this issue in the future, I wanted to share the resolution with you...

So after some tense conversations, a few emails back and forth with BMW Canada and some gnashing of teeth, I was able to demonstrate the problem to the Shop Foreman, who knew exactly what the issue was and how to fix it.

It turns out this issue is available to the dealerships on their AIR system. The service manager pulled it up for me and showed me, but would not print a copy for me...something about copyright and proprietary and blah blah blah...

Bottom line is to fix this issue, the bowden cable must be removed from the clip designed to hold in in place. That will relieve tension on the cable and allow it to move freely when the temp drops.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
dave405nyc
New Member
5
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2013 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

I've had this issue too, but they replaced the door lock actuator. Nothing about removing a bowden cable.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave405nyc View Post
I've had this issue too, but they replaced the door lock actuator. Nothing about removing a bowden cable.
Interesting that the actuator was replaced. Did your car unlock using the central lock button or comfort access?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
dave405nyc
New Member
5
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2013 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
Interesting that the actuator was replaced. Did your car unlock using the central lock button or comfort access?
yep, the central unlock button was the only way for me to get it unlocked. I did notice that when unlocking, the pin would come up at a much slower rate.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave405nyc View Post
yep, the central unlock button was the only way for me to get it unlocked. I did notice that when unlocking, the pin would come up at a much slower rate.
Same symptoms as mine...curiouser and curiouser.

I hope I don't have an actuator replacement in my near future...the dealership is already sick to death of seeing me show up at their doorstep
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Well today it happened again - guess it really is the door actuator that needs replacing - so now it's back to the service department I go...let's see if they even respond to my email
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Insane435
Captain
Insane435's Avatar
United_States
216
Rep
896
Posts

Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

I had this issue. The original actuator part used has been replaced due to this issue. If you are under warranty, make sure you get the new part and get it replaced. Havent had an issue since.
__________________
2014 EBII 435ix - Armytrix Catback, Evolution Racewerks Downpipe - Chargepipe - Intercooler, Bootmod3, NGK 97506's, AFE Dry Filter, KW V1, Forgestar F14 19s, Potenza S-04's, M Performance Brakes, M Power Pads
2011 BSM 328ix
IG: @f32_rmacher
Appreciate 1
madmonkey194.00

      03-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
I had this issue. The original actuator part used has been replaced due to this issue. If you are under warranty, make sure you get the new part and get it replaced. Havent had an issue since.
Thanks for that info. I'm under CPO so I "should" be covered...I say that because they charged me a diagnostic fee to look at the issue in the first place, which really irritated me - the new CPO program is "zero deductible" so I shouldn't have paid anything...

SA hasn't replied yet to my email...tick...tock...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
Insane435
Captain
Insane435's Avatar
United_States
216
Rep
896
Posts

Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
Thanks for that info. I'm under CPO so I "should" be covered...I say that because they charged me a diagnostic fee to look at the issue in the first place, which really irritated me - the new CPO program is "zero deductible" so I shouldn't have paid anything...

SA hasn't replied yet to my email...tick...tock...
No problem. Ill even dig up the invoice for you if you need more proof to show.
Appreciate 1
madmonkey194.00

      03-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
No problem. Ill even dig up the invoice for you if you need more proof to show.
That would be awesome because they are now ignoring my phone calls...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
Insane435
Captain
Insane435's Avatar
United_States
216
Rep
896
Posts

Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
That would be awesome because they are now ignoring my phone calls...
ill look for it tn. Ill try not to forget.
__________________
2014 EBII 435ix - Armytrix Catback, Evolution Racewerks Downpipe - Chargepipe - Intercooler, Bootmod3, NGK 97506's, AFE Dry Filter, KW V1, Forgestar F14 19s, Potenza S-04's, M Performance Brakes, M Power Pads
2011 BSM 328ix
IG: @f32_rmacher
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #13
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
1904
Rep
7,031
Posts

Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

iTrader: (0)

Ive had both my passenger and driver side replaced under warranty. this has happened to me on my e46, e90, and now my f30. its a known issue and the actuator needs to be replaced to fix it. My e90 had it replaced under CPO and all i paid was the $50 deductible. I would assume the F30 has it covered under CPO as well.
__________________
2013 EB/CR 335i xdrive | DHP | 19" VMR V803 | MPS4S | MPerformance | M3 Grills | BMS Tips | LED Turn Signals | CTS intake | VRSF FMIC | VRSF CP
2011 JB 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square | MPerformance Spoiler | M5 Grills | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #14
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
So as update - hopefully conclusion of this ordeal...

After 4 (F O U R) trips to the service department, the issue has been resolved by replacing the door actuator. It remains to be seen if this is a permanent fix, as the weather here has turned warm and the issue only manifests in cold temps.

So to summarize:
IF your door lock fails to unlock through pulling the handle AND will unlock with the centre switch - but the lock pin moves slower than the others, THEN your actuator needs replacing. Accept no substitutes.

The Bowden cable replacement does not fix the issue, even though there is a TSB for it. There is no TSB for the actuators as far as I know.

Warranty or CPO warranty will cover this work - but be prepared to have to argue this point with the service department - in my case, I was charged a diagnostic fee to "look" at the problem and "lubricate" parts (which did not fix the issue at all). Take video of your issue with time and date of occurance. Show it to the SA and the tech.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed info on this issue.
Appreciate 1
WillSkill161.50

      04-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #15
Insane435
Captain
Insane435's Avatar
United_States
216
Rep
896
Posts

Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
So as update - hopefully conclusion of this ordeal...

After 4 (F O U R) trips to the service department, the issue has been resolved by replacing the door actuator. It remains to be seen if this is a permanent fix, as the weather here has turned warm and the issue only manifests in cold temps.

So to summarize:
IF your door lock fails to unlock through pulling the handle AND will unlock with the centre switch - but the lock pin moves slower than the others, THEN your actuator needs replacing. Accept no substitutes.

The Bowden cable replacement does not fix the issue, even though there is a TSB for it. There is no TSB for the actuators as far as I know.

Warranty or CPO warranty will cover this work - but be prepared to have to argue this point with the service department - in my case, I was charged a diagnostic fee to "look" at the problem and "lubricate" parts (which did not fix the issue at all). Take video of your issue with time and date of occurance. Show it to the SA and the tech.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed info on this issue.
glad its solved. Sorry i never sent the invoice! I had mine replaced and have not had one issue since. you should be good to go.
__________________
2014 EBII 435ix - Armytrix Catback, Evolution Racewerks Downpipe - Chargepipe - Intercooler, Bootmod3, NGK 97506's, AFE Dry Filter, KW V1, Forgestar F14 19s, Potenza S-04's, M Performance Brakes, M Power Pads
2011 BSM 328ix
IG: @f32_rmacher
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #16
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
glad its solved. Sorry i never sent the invoice! I had mine replaced and have not had one issue since. you should be good to go.
No worries. I'm hoping this is good to go as well. Hopefully the passenger side doesn't start acting up.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #17
Orion4
Major
United_States
255
Rep
1,131
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Do you have the actuator part number off the work-order/invoice? Mine intermittently does the same and I'm going to change it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
drivethrurecfan
Private
27
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

I also had this issue a few months ago. The dealership replaced the Door Lock Actuator and also the bowden cable According to them, their TSB advises them to reroute it in a way where there is more tension, making it easier to unlock. Haven't had an issue since then.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #19
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Do you have the actuator part number off the work-order/invoice? Mine intermittently does the same and I'm going to change it out.
When I get home, I will look at the invoice to see what part# they have.

Alternatively, you can check realoem.com and they will list the part#.

Found it...pn 51-21-7-202-143 system latch, left

Last edited by madmonkey; 04-05-2017 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #20
Orion4
Major
United_States
255
Rep
1,131
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #21
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
WillSkill's Avatar
United_States
162
Rep
357
Posts

Drives: 2013 AW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'm having the exact same problem. They apparently moved my bowden cables because it was getting jammed? That did not fix it. I tried another dealer and they said they were ordering new door handles for me lol, but they haven't contacted me yet.

So I've been to the dealer twice and no solutions. I even mentioned that I'm pretty sure I need new actuators... The problem is I can't recreate the problem all the time and my warranty ends around late november 2017...
__________________
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #22
madmonkey
Lieutenant
madmonkey's Avatar
194
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSkill View Post
I'm having the exact same problem. They apparently moved my bowden cables because it was getting jammed? That did not fix it. I tried another dealer and they said they were ordering new door handles for me lol, but they haven't contacted me yet.

So I've been to the dealer twice and no solutions. I even mentioned that I'm pretty sure I need new actuators... The problem is I can't recreate the problem all the time and my warranty ends around late november 2017...
Take a video when the issue happens...that is the only way to prove you have a problem and capture the date and time from your dash
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST