F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unichip CarPlay
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #67
InTheSound
Enlisted Member
InTheSound's Avatar
Canada
9
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: BMW M2 '18
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Greetings steve@codemybimmer, I saw your video of the quick walk through for the product on your website. Good job!

I have a question. Is the included microphone necessary if my car already has the integrated microphone?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #68
baile508
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Twin Cities, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Just finished installing this today. Works great and is very snappy. Overall i am super happy with it. Installing was a little bit of a pain since i had to take out the glovebox to have a spot to mount it. I mainly just followed Bimmertech's smartview install video by Kies motorsports as it installs basically the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #69
nanomatical
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2016 330i
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baile508 View Post
Just finished installing this today. Works great and is very snappy. Overall i am super happy with it. Installing was a little bit of a pain since i had to take out the glovebox to have a spot to mount it. I mainly just followed Bimmertech's smartview install video by Kies motorsports as it installs basically the same.
Which System do you have NBT or NBT EVO? What is the size of your screen? Can you do a youtube review? Just a quick one to show us how it works?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #70
Easterb928
Private
5
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: X1 F48 (previously F34)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: HK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baile508 View Post
Just finished installing this today. Works great and is very snappy. Overall i am super happy with it. Installing was a little bit of a pain since i had to take out the glovebox to have a spot to mount it. I mainly just followed Bimmertech's smartview install video by Kies motorsports as it installs basically the same.
How / where did you install the microphone?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #71
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
384
Rep
715
Posts

Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

I am absolutely interested in one of these. I am on HU_Entry (6.5" No nav). Only two questions from me:

1) Can anyone confirm their install is free of the grounding/buzz noise noted by another member?

2) Price (PM would be greatly appreciated!)
__________________
Add 5 horsepower for every M logo

328i RWD | Sportline | CRed on MW | 6MT | Bootmod3 STG 1 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | KW V2 | F80 LCA/TS | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | Hawk HP+ | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #72
baile508
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Twin Cities, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomatical View Post
Which System do you have NBT or NBT EVO? What is the size of your screen? Can you do a youtube review? Just a quick one to show us how it works?
I have the 8.8" NBT.
For a video just google "smartauto uni carplay" the 1st 3 links are to the manufactures website. The 3rd link has a video. The website for the manufacturer is unichip-tec dot com.

I have not had any problems with buzzing, the sound quality is very good.

I have the micophone just sticking out of the trim above the rearview mirror. I just routed the wire around the edge of the windshield and under the trim beneath the glove box which you have to remove to remove the glove box anyways. You cant see the wire at all. Siri understands me every time so that spot seems to work fine.

The manufacturer does have decent customer service. They contacted me on whatsapp to double check what unit i had to make sure they were sending the right one. They messaged me the tracking info and when they would ship it. They also followed up to see if i installed it and if i had any problems. I didnt and the girl was very surprised since most people don't have a clue how to install it. It doesnt help that they didnt send the manual and i had to ask for it.

PM me and i will send the whatsapp phone number of the person i worked with from them. She said to have anybody i know who is interested to reach out to her.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #73
erwinscastillo
Registered
United Kingdom
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2014 F30 (320d M Sport)
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baile508 View Post
I have the 8.8" NBT.
For a video just google "smartauto uni carplay" the 1st 3 links are to the manufactures website. The 3rd link has a video. The website for the manufacturer is unichip-tec dot com.

I have not had any problems with buzzing, the sound quality is very good.

I have the micophone just sticking out of the trim above the rearview mirror. I just routed the wire around the edge of the windshield and under the trim beneath the glove box which you have to remove to remove the glove box anyways. You cant see the wire at all. Siri understands me every time so that spot seems to work fine.

The manufacturer does have decent customer service. They contacted me on whatsapp to double check what unit i had to make sure they were sending the right one. They messaged me the tracking info and when they would ship it. They also followed up to see if i installed it and if i had any problems. I didnt and the girl was very surprised since most people don't have a clue how to install it. It doesnt help that they didnt send the manual and i had to ask for it.

PM me and i will send the whatsapp phone number of the person i worked with from them. She said to have anybody i know who is interested to reach out to her.
Hi, are your legacy systems working fine (aux, usb), as said before the system is working very snappy for me but the sound is not good, it buzzes worse than AM radio and I noticed it also affected my usb/aux which now only sound dodgy, maybe I have a problem with the cables or unit I received.

I must admit they have been very helpful on whatsapp and are trying to help me figure out the issue but so far no luck and I have double checked everything, I even uninstalled the whole system to confirm my legacy systems were fine.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #74
baile508
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Twin Cities, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinscastillo View Post
Hi, are your legacy systems working fine (aux, usb), as said before the system is working very snappy for me but the sound is not good, it buzzes worse than AM radio and I noticed it also affected my usb/aux which now only sound dodgy, maybe I have a problem with the cables or unit I received.

I must admit they have been very helpful on whatsapp and are trying to help me figure out the issue but so far no luck and I have double checked everything, I even uninstalled the whole system to confirm my legacy systems were fine.

Any help will be appreciated.


Cheers

I guess i havent tried the legacy connections yet since was using carplay for everything now. i will try it out this week and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #75
Jonny3
New Member
Jonny3's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2016 F30 Black Sapphire
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Adelphi, MD

iTrader: (0)

Does this work with NBT EVO pro nav? I have an lci that didn't get the ID5 so this would be a nice mod to have.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #76
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know what the dip switches do that you can see in photos of this unit? I’m interested in one for my F30 328i and an E70 X5.

Last edited by seancarlin; 12-29-2017 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #77
bargonaut
Registered
3
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Unichip Smartbox Installation Manual

The DIP switches specify the vehicle type, as well as adjust for different display resolutions.

View post on imgur.com
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CarPlayBox Support List2017.pdf (38.2 KB, 578 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #78
bargonaut
Registered
3
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone have pinout information about the CIC+combobox head unit? I bought the Unichip Smartbox from the manufacturer, but the supplied harness doesn't match the AUX input for my vehicle. They sent me instructions to move a few pins, but there are no factory wires matching the pins they identify.

All the Carplay functions work great, and it is integrated well with iDrive. However, the audio doesn't play over the car stereo since the pins are wrong. I've been skype-ing with their tech support, but there's a long delay waiting for responses from China. I know which wires are the AUX audio lines from the Smartbox, but I don't know which pins to connect so it will work with the car.

My car is a 2013 328i with Harmon stereo and integrated Nav.

Any advice is appreciated.

EDIT: it turns out my car has CIC+combobox, but Unichip sent me the NBT cable. I have to get them to provide me the correct wiring harness instead.

Last edited by bargonaut; 01-03-2018 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #79
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing, this is really helpful. If you have any other documentation to share on this device, it would be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargonaut View Post
The DIP switches specify the vehicle type, as well as adjust for different display resolutions.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 01:04 AM   #80
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Backup camera

Has anyone tried installing an aftermarket backup camera with this unit? Unichip support, AKA Gary, says it will work. He told me you have to use the configuration option below to do so:

Name:  424A613B-7737-4C02-BBAD-6A97ED688225.jpeg
Views: 2163
Size:  585.6 KB

Name:  A01F9FB4-3D16-49EB-9709-1B855F19C04F.jpeg
Views: 2197
Size:  957.0 KB

Last edited by seancarlin; 01-04-2018 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 04:18 AM   #81
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Atiqofsweden's Avatar
Sweden
57
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 328i Sportline -13
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

i just ordered one of these units, will post an install thread and short review when i get it!

i am planning to use a female USB outlet mounted in the plastic cover under the HVAC unit!

later ill try to add a backup cam to the installation aswell.
__________________

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Custom Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV+ || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #82
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Cool! How do you plan to install the USB under HVAC? Did you buy a plastic replacement from the 2017 models which have a built in USB there in some models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atiqofsweden View Post
i just ordered one of these units, will post an install thread and short review when i get it!

i am planning to use a female USB outlet mounted in the plastic cover under the HVAC unit!

later ill try to add a backup cam to the installation aswell.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #83
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Atiqofsweden's Avatar
Sweden
57
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 328i Sportline -13
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancarlin View Post
Cool! How do you plan to install the USB under HVAC? Did you buy a plastic replacement from the 2017 models which have a built in USB there in some models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atiqofsweden View Post
i just ordered one of these units, will post an install thread and short review when i get it!

i am planning to use a female USB outlet mounted in the plastic cover under the HVAC unit!

later ill try to add a backup cam to the installation aswell.
Nope, don't think the original part with a built in usb has a male usb connector on the rear, therefore it won't connect with the female connector of the Unichip box.

I am planning to make a small hole at the side of the cup holder led, where there is a small ridge and install one of these.
Attached Images
 
__________________

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Custom Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV+ || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 02:30 AM   #84
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Cool! I'm interested to see the finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atiqofsweden View Post
Nope, don't think the original part with a built in usb has a male usb connector on the rear, therefore it won't connect with the female connector of the Unichip box.

I am planning to make a small hole at the side of the cup holder led, where there is a small ridge and install one of these.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #85
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Atiqofsweden's Avatar
Sweden
57
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 328i Sportline -13
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancarlin View Post
Cool! I'm interested to see the finished product.
Sweet, i think i'll receive it this week so keep watching and ill post a review and install guide soon!
__________________

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Custom Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV+ || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #86
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Atiqofsweden's Avatar
Sweden
57
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 328i Sportline -13
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

So, my unit is now installed, review coming up shortly!

Got one problem though, everything works, except for the sound while in carplay mode, everything works fine from the original BMW menus, so this problem is only in carplay mode.

i have checked all the connections, but this didn't help.
support is telling me to check the Most bus cable but it seems to be connected like it should.

any advices?
__________________

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Custom Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV+ || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #87
MrChang
Private
20
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: F31 M-Sport MG 2014
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atiqofsweden View Post
So, my unit is now installed, review coming up shortly!

Got one problem though, everything works, except for the sound while in carplay mode, everything works fine from the original BMW menus, so this problem is only in carplay mode.

i have checked all the connections, but this didn't help.
support is telling me to check the Most bus cable but it seems to be connected like it should.

any advices?
I dont have a clue but hope you get help.
I am also thinking of installing this unit but what is your car specs? Myself I have a 320d manufactured 2014-02 with the basic small screen (no navi), bluetooth professional (combox in trunk I think) an H/K sound. Is it possible to install in my car?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #88
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Atiqofsweden's Avatar
Sweden
57
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 328i Sportline -13
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChang View Post
I dont have a clue but hope you get help.
I am also thinking of installing this unit but what is your car specs? Myself I have a 320d manufactured 2014-02 with the basic small screen (no navi), bluetooth professional (combox in trunk I think) an H/K sound. Is it possible to install in my car?
Same specs as me, except for the H/K sound i think it should be possible for your car!

try asking unichips support chat on their site!
http://www.unichip-tec.com/
__________________

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Custom Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV+ || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
carplay

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST