F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Yard freaks
GetBMWParts

09-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #705
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Boring under concrete is a freaking nightmare.
Awesome project there! Looks like you're sitting on a pretty big lot
~F90Conversion~CFLowerSplitters~21"3Piece AlphaForgedWheels~BMSgoldTitaniumLugz~ 3dCFRearSpoiler~3dCFSideSkirtExtensions~DTMCFDiffu ser~CFRearSplitters~CFEmblems~LedermanzWheel~Shado wlineKit~CFDoubleSlatGrills~WstyleCFRoofSpoiler~M4 CFMirrorCovers~MeisterschaftEVC90mmQuadExhaust~CFT ipCovers~VRSFdp~KWV1Coilovers~MPedals~G2GoldCalipe rs~35%TinT~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #706
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
Boring under concrete is a freaking nightmare.
Awesome project there! Looks like you're sitting on a pretty big lot
About 5 acres...neighbors have 10 and 15 respectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #707
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! I can barely handle my .50 acre lol! I know what it cost just to maintain a .50 acre in regards to seeding, fertilizer, pre-post emergent and watering but I can't imagine what it would cost for the size you have or people with bigger lots. Can I ask you do you spend the money on maintaining that size of a lot and how much do you spend? Curious just because the wife wants a bigger lot and I'm already telling her how much it cost just with a .50 acre lot. Thanks!
~F90Conversion~CFLowerSplitters~21"3Piece AlphaForgedWheels~BMSgoldTitaniumLugz~ 3dCFRearSpoiler~3dCFSideSkirtExtensions~DTMCFDiffu ser~CFRearSplitters~CFEmblems~LedermanzWheel~Shado wlineKit~CFDoubleSlatGrills~WstyleCFRoofSpoiler~M4 CFMirrorCovers~MeisterschaftEVC90mmQuadExhaust~CFT ipCovers~VRSFdp~KWV1Coilovers~MPedals~G2GoldCalipe rs~35%TinT~
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #708
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome! I can barely handle my .50 acre lol! I know what it cost just to maintain a .50 acre in regards to seeding, fertilizer, pre-post emergent and watering but I can't imagine what it would cost for the size you have or people with bigger lots. Can I ask you do you spend the money on maintaining that size of a lot and how much do you spend? Curious just because the wife wants a bigger lot and I'm already telling her how much it cost just with a .50 acre lot. Thanks!
We have goats and donkeys to help - LARGE zero turn for the rest. Lol. It's not a manicured yard by any means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #709
bosstones
Major
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
what area are you in boss?
Chicago 'burbs. Looks like we're going to get some evergreens planted in the back for privacy screening AND it is supposed to rain again this weekend. I think I'm just going to put down my prodiamine, humic, and a fert. I'll aerate the back but only spot seed in front. At least I am well stocked on grass seed for next year.

Quote:
I never understood why put down pre emergent during the Fall to prevent weeds in the Springtime but yet we still put down pre emergent in the Springtime? for the last 2 seasons I have not noticed any difference with not putting down pre emergent in the Fall. at least for cool season lawns. Plus with Falltime most grasses are already getting prepared to go dormant so if anything the best thing to do that I notice that works for me is just to put down your last application of fertilizer
I had a TON of weeds popping up recently. Dandelion, oxalis, spurge, clover. Frickin' crazy. I spot sprayed the front pretty good but left the back since some of them are annuals. The dandelion is perennial but I'll scorch them next spring.
      10-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #710
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I'm curious how broad the blades are.
so far as you can see the blades are still not as thick as you can see them within the thicker blades of grass since it's only been a few weeks since germination. according to Pete they will thicken but not so much since it is fall and less sunlight. hopefully next Spring is when i'll see how these will look

just put down my last fertilizer for Fall. the grass looks really nice, thick and lush. I have a neighborhood contractor who will be performing winterization so the last time I can use the sprinklers is Oct 17th. after that I will leave it up to mother nature

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #711
Sheeen
Registered
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
I learned from the lawn gurus of YouTube. for dethatching usually it's at the beginning of Spring to get all the dead grass up. and than in the fall time just before you reseed if you plan on reseeding. I dethatched because I had lawn fungus and a lot of the dead grass was just sitting here. so the dethatcher helped pull most of it out.

if you're pulling up a patch of grass and it's actually coming up it could be quite a few things. one it could be grubs are eating your roots. is the grass brown? also, it could be the roots are very shallow and not deep enough to hold. I use RGS to stimulate root growth. since Fall is upon us I would think about doing a dethatch, aerate and an overseeding since you're saying your lawn looks a bit thin. i'm looking to do this at the beginning of September.

This year is pretty much done if you ask me as far as trying to develop a deeper root system. I would suggest doing this next year. look into the NEXT products particularly RGS and HUMIC12. that's going to help amend your soil and promote Root development

Allyn the Lawn Care Nut has already put out a couple of videos on overseeding since it's coming up
My experience is pretty much the same. Youtube taught me well, but not without some minor troubles. Also I messed up my old lawnmower from ebay, it was cheap anyway, now I want something more efficient, maybe this. Also I'm making some renovation and that's why my backyard is currently looking like this, gonna test new seeds.
Appreciate 2
Now_Rudi6224.00

10-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #712
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeen View Post
My experience is pretty much the same. Youtube taught me well, but not without some minor troubles. Also I messed up my old lawnmower from ebay, it was cheap anyway, now I want something more efficient, maybe this. Also I'm making some renovation and that's why my backyard is currently looking like this, gonna test new seeds.
Sweet! what kind of seeds will you be using?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #713
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

What is winterization???

Things we don't do in FL. I did an all in one day treatment a few weeks ago. It's starting to work. Weeds are dying and grass is growing. I still have those spots were the grass is incredibly soft and carpet like. Densely bunched together.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #714
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

cut the lawn today. all the new seeds are doing well. blades are actually getting thicker. this variety really does make stripes pop!

Appreciate 4
RickFLM43898.50
Now_Rudi6224.00
Sheeen5.00

10-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #715
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
I finally got to overseeding this past weekend with a break in the rain. Hope its not too late into the fall as temps are already pretty low.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #716
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I finally got to overseeding this past weekend with a break in the rain. Hope its not too late into the fall as temps are already pretty low.
oooooo I think as long as temperatures are over 55 degrees you might be fine but temperatures continue to drop.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #717
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

I'm gonna have some carrots!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:19 AM   #718
GenXer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Chevy, Hyundai hybrid

Garage List
I'm not a yard freak but I pay people to come and sprinkle poison on my lawn to make it look nice.
In the fall of last year, I've extended my driveway, patio and shed concrete but the workers left my lawn in a bad shape. The lawn was hydroseeded in 2016 so it's relatively new. The dump truck and Bobcat have turned parts of my lawn into a barren desert. I've tried loosening the soil and overseeding it but nothing wants to grow. I will try aerating the lawn again and see if that does anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #719
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I'm not a yard freak but I pay people to come and sprinkle poison on my lawn to make it look nice.
In the fall of last year, I've extended my driveway, patio and shed concrete but the workers left my lawn in a bad shape. The lawn was hydroseeded in 2016 so it's relatively new. The dump truck and Bobcat have turned parts of my lawn into a barren desert. I've tried loosening the soil and overseeding it but nothing wants to grow. I will try aerating the lawn again and see if that does anything.
you'll need to loosen up that soil since it's heavily compacted. I would even go as far as throwing down some new lawn soil if it's in the budget. aerate and reseed if possible
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #720
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Windows closing! My next door neighbor just did his today. I would say this is almost the last week to get any overseeding done before it's too late.
You'll be happy to know that the seed I put down is sprouting nicely. I'll do it again in the spring to touch up any thin/bare areas.

Appreciate 1
      10-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #721
bosstones
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Quote:
you'll need to loosen up that soil since it's heavily compacted. I would even go as far as throwing down some new lawn soil if it's in the budget. aerate and reseed if possible
^ whs Sounds like it is pretty compacted. Not sure how big the area is but you could get or rent a small tiller to break up the ground. Throw some compost and/or top soil on top before cultivating the ground to get some 'good stuff' mixed in. Toss some starter fert and quality grass seed, bed the seed in, and top dress and you should be good to go. You'll get weeds unless you use something like Tenacity (or it's active ingredient) but that can be dealt with after the new grass grows in.
      10-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #722
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
^ whs Sounds like it is pretty compacted. Not sure how big the area is but you could get or rent a small tiller to break up the ground. Throw some compost and/or top soil on top before cultivating the ground to get some 'good stuff' mixed in. Toss some starter fert and quality grass seed, bed the seed in, and top dress and you should be good to go. You'll get weeds unless you use something like Tenacity (or it's active ingredient) but that can be dealt with after the new grass grows in.
this way is ideal if he wants to do it right. for a band aid fix just aerating, throwing down some compost, overseed and fertilizer will at least get it looking better
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #723
bosstones
Major
Rep

Quote:
this way is ideal if he wants to do it right. for a band aid fix just aerating, throwing down some compost, overseed and fertilizer will at least get it looking better
Mostly things I ran out of time to do this fall. Put fert down last weekend....at a higher rate than maybe I should have. lol Too late to seed. Didn't get to aerate but oh well. Still want to put down/spray a cocktail of fungicide before winter. Running out of time for that, too, though.
      10-27-2019, 05:37 PM   #724
scootr
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4

I keep about 2000 Sq FT of lawn in front of the house. That's it - we are in the southwest US where lawns are frowned upon as water wasting. It is a great mix of 3 grasses and clover. Once called Superbowl sod grown locally for the Chargers San Diego stadium. I let it go long in the summer so it takes less water. It stays green year round and I mow it every week or 2 depending upon the season. The sod is 18 years old and Scotts has been the main food.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-27-2019, 10:01 PM   #725
bosstones
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
I keep about 2000 Sq FT of lawn in front of the house. That's it - we are in the southwest US where lawns are frowned upon as water wasting. It is a great mix of 3 grasses and clover. Once called Superbowl sod grown locally for the Chargers San Diego stadium. I let it go long in the summer so it takes less water. It stays green year round and I mow it every week or 2 depending upon the season. The sod is 18 years old and Scotts has been the main food.
Looks good! Is it KGB? I think there was a cultivar called Superbowl.
      10-28-2019, 06:32 AM   #726
scootr
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4

This particular sod was developed by West Coast Sod and grown in Winchester, CA.
It's been through some dry years and always comes back strong. I have not reseeded. I do feed it 2 times a year. I lived in the desert for 20 years prior to moving to this wetter climate... and the one thing I wanted was a little lawn
Appreciate 0