F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Does BM3 alter CVN number or flash counter?
GetBMWParts

10-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
DevonD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Does BM3 alter CVN number or flash counter?

Do BM3 tunes alter CVN number or the flash counter?
I've been looking at available flash tunes for a few months now trying to decide who to go with. BM3 seems like the most widely used and they appear to have incredible customer service. The only thing I haven't been able to find anywhere is whether or not their tunes mess with CVN number or flash counter. A big selling point of Mission Performance is they say they don't alter those numbers at all so when flashed back to stock there will be virtually no evidence to the dealer of the tune. But MP doesn't appear to have great customer service so that's a big negative as well. Another company I've looked at is MG flasher. They also don't alter the CVN or flash counter and have the advantage of mobile flashing but I haven't heard of anyone running their tunes.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

All flash tuning is easily detected through various vehicle modules so whether or not you increment the flash counter doesn't do much for you. Main thing is to have a good relationship with your dealer and run tuning that is reliable so you don't blow up.
Appreciate 2
kern4174442.00
nikman011174.50
      10-06-2019, 11:05 PM   #3
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Go with BM3, they're great!
Appreciate 1
B58togo805.50
      10-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonD View Post
I've been looking at available flash tunes for a few months now trying to decide who to go with. BM3 seems like the most widely used and they appear to have incredible customer service. The only thing I haven't been able to find anywhere is whether or not their tunes mess with CVN number or flash counter. A big selling point of Mission Performance is they say they don't alter those numbers at all so when flashed back to stock there will be virtually no evidence to the dealer of the tune. But MP doesn't appear to have great customer service so that's a big negative as well. Another company I've looked at is MG flasher. They also don't alter the CVN or flash counter and have the advantage of mobile flashing but I haven't heard of anyone running their tunes.

Thanks!
Pretty much all flash tunes nowadays reset the flash counter.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
Go with BM3, they're great!
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
InstigatorX
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC xDrive

Quote:

Thanks!
MG Flasher Jarek@JRAuto is a great option. There are lots of people running their flash with awesome results. B58 Enthusiast and MG Flasher on Facebook are good resources to find info about them.

Also, they lock the counters similar to everyone else and have excellent customer support.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstigatorX View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
MG Flasher Jarek@JRAuto is a great option. There are lots of people running their flash with awesome results. B58 Enthusiast and MG Flasher on Facebook are good resources to find info about them.

Also, they lock the counters similar to everyone else and have excellent customer support.
(Unless things have changed since last year)

Definitely a very conservative tune (on paper). Tuner also measures crank HP/TQ numbers. When translated to the wheels - isn't all that impressive.

Also, takes around 40 minutes to flash. You also have to own an Android device to get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
InstigatorX
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstigatorX View Post
Quote:

Thanks!

(Unless things have changed since last year)

Definitely a very conservative tune (on paper). Tuner also measures crank HP/TQ numbers. When translated to the wheels - isn't all that impressive.

Also, takes around 40 minutes to flash. You also have to own an Android device to get the job done.
I ran BM3 and MG. Sold BM3 in favor of MG. Similar perf if not better. Just preferred working with tuner directly. Wasn't just another face in the crowd. Also, liked the fact they worked closely with xHP.

As for flashing, ENet support was released last week.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive MP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
All flash tuning is easily detected through various vehicle modules so whether or not you increment the flash counter doesn't do much for you. Main thing is to have a good relationship with your dealer and run tuning that is reliable so you don't blow up.
Can't stress this enough, but having a good relationship with your dealer makes a huge difference when it comes to mods. I am lucky that my dealer (BMW of Silver Spring) is really chill about mods. I disclosed my intentions to mod my car to my SA and he just asked if I could send him my mods list. Lol, I thought when I sent him the list, he would have freaked out or thought "this guy is crazy", but he told me everything is all good.

The only thing that we made clear and have a mutual understanding about, is that at the end of the day, its all about pay to play. I made it clear to my dealer that should something catastrophic happen to the engine or turbo, it's probably coming out of my pocket (we did discuss some issues where that might not hold true). However, he made it clear that they would never red flag my car because of my mods and that if anything needed to be done to the DME, he would let me know so I can flashback to stock. It's really nice when you can drop your car off without having to do anything to your mods. Also, they won't deny coverage of warranty for example if my adaptive suspension stopped working and then they would try to blame the mods. He made it very clear that the modification has to correlate to the problem.

So far the relationship has been very wonderful. Hopefully, it says that way and if it does, then I will for sure make all future BMW purchases from them.
2019 M240i M Performance Edition / xDrive / ZF8 / BM3 Stg 2+ E30 / xHP Stg 3 / Dorch Stg 2 HPFP / Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe / MPPSK Exhaust / FTP Drop in Filter / FTP Intake Pipe / FTP Chargepipe / NGK 94201 Spark Plugs .022 / Michelin PS4S - 225/35/19 + 245/30/19
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #10
DevonD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Thanks for the feedback everyone. MG was my front runner for a while but the lack of iOS, or even windows laptop, support would mean I'd have to go out and buy an android device (so add another few hudred $$) and I've reached out to them multiple times asking if they have an ETA for an iOS app with no reply. It seems like BM3 it is! Does BM3 have a trans flash for the B58 as well? I've seen people with the B48 doing beta trans flashes.

Also, I try my best to have a good relationship with my dealership and SA. But every time I have been in for service, all of the SA's are middle aged women. They are all very nice and I like dealing with them but I have a feeling they're a little less interested in hearing about me tuning the car haha
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #11
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Android device is cheap .... Amazon Fire tablet (have to down a few things before you can use the google play store but I could do it in 10 minutes even without owning an android device before). Got the Fire 7 on sale for $40 and as you can use an enet cable the net costs are low.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive MP Edition

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. MG was my front runner for a while but the lack of iOS, or even windows laptop, support would mean I'd have to go out and buy an android device (so add another few hudred $$) and I've reached out to them multiple times asking if they have an ETA for an iOS app with no reply. It seems like BM3 it is! Does BM3 have a trans flash for the B58 as well? I've seen people with the B48 doing beta trans flashes.

Also, I try my best to have a good relationship with my dealership and SA. But every time I have been in for service, all of the SA's are middle aged women. They are all very nice and I like dealing with them but I have a feeling they're a little less interested in hearing about me tuning the car haha
Yo brother, you need to tell your SA or whichever middle aged woman you end up working with that you want to speak with the Service Manager or the technician servicing your car.
2019 M240i M Performance Edition / xDrive / ZF8 / BM3 Stg 2+ E30 / xHP Stg 3 / Dorch Stg 2 HPFP / Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe / MPPSK Exhaust / FTP Drop in Filter / FTP Intake Pipe / FTP Chargepipe / NGK 94201 Spark Plugs .022 / Michelin PS4S - 225/35/19 + 245/30/19
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:58 AM   #13
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

SA won't care if car modified. They will warranty everything except power train as expected.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #14
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

You can do direct wire connection with bm3. Put together the bm3 wifi device yourself and they provide software for it free. Then its just ENET cable to the device and USB from the device to your phone. I always use Wifi though unless I’m on my macbook air which I seem to prefer for tinkering more and more these days. Using a laptop with bm3 is really really nice. Mobile app for me is just quick on the go sort of thing.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      10-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #15
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bootmod3/ Bootmod3 just hit 7k+ users (who share Dynos, Logs, and other experiences)

That should tell you more than enough, combine others together and still won't reach the great community, support, features that continue to be added and remember World's First Custom Tuning Fxx Gxx Platform that supports more engines than anything else

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0