F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > How up to date is the real time data for navigation?
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-07-2019, 02:00 AM   #1
GenXer
Lieutenant
United_States
214
Rep
411
Posts

Drives: BMW, Chevy, Hyundai hybrid
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: here and there

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
How up to date is the real time data for navigation?

Exactly how up to date is BMW traffic and construction data?

Every vehicle I've own with traffic data has been very accurate and up to the minute. Except for this one. It was routing me into a one way no entrance road construction this past Thursday. Obviously this construction project has been going on for a while by the looks of it. I know I should have been using Waze but I already had the car navigation running.

My Mercedes, Audi and even Chevy traffic update have successfully re-routed me away from traffic jams on I-95 and I-75 numerous times. It showed road construction elsewhere. Is there something I'm missing or forgot to turn on? Does it only update certain area? Was there a spot on the sun that day?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
ooshnoo
Major
ooshnoo's Avatar
United_States
517
Rep
1,054
Posts

Drives: 2014 428i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Buford, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 GMC Acadia  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [5.00]
How up to date is the real time data for navigation?

RTTI sucks. I paid for it on a Black Friday special, used it for a week, saw how bad it was and never used it again. It wouldn't show traffic on certain major roads, and when it did it was far more inaccurate than Google maps.
__________________

___________________
2014 F32 428i 8AT M-Sport
Appreciate 1
GenXer214.00

      10-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Major General
IK6SPEED's Avatar
United_States
3585
Rep
9,108
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 / AH3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cali

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Exactly how up to date is BMW traffic and construction data?

Every vehicle I've own with traffic data has been very accurate and up to the minute. Except for this one. It was routing me into a one way no entrance road construction this past Thursday. Obviously this construction project has been going on for a while by the looks of it. I know I should have been using Waze but I already had the car navigation running.

My Mercedes, Audi and even Chevy traffic update have successfully re-routed me away from traffic jams on I-95 and I-75 numerous times. It showed road construction elsewhere. Is there something I'm missing or forgot to turn on? Does it only update certain area? Was there a spot on the sun that day?
Depend on how fast the data received and how fast it's transmitted. Outside of crowdsourcing such as WAZE, all info come from Government Agencies and is distributed to all sources.

Also, you did not mention which HU you have as there are differences in the way the data is received.
__________________
Stable: F80 / AH3
Past: F80 ZCP / F22 M235i / E89 35is
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
GenXer
Lieutenant
United_States
214
Rep
411
Posts

Drives: BMW, Chevy, Hyundai hybrid
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: here and there

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's a 2019 F36 with a pretty wide screen and navigation. I didn't check which version it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
lbpd716
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW 318ti, 435I
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Central Valley

iTrader: (0)

We have found the information in ours to be pretty rapidly updated and accurate (California)..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #6
flavius
Private First Class
32
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
It's a 2019 F36 with a pretty wide screen and navigation. I didn't check which version it is.
2019 F36 here as well. I'm using it to navigate metro Boston all the time, it's very accurate and has been for years. Quality of the data must be varying by area.
__________________
-Experienced driver; cocomats
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #7
fazz
New Member
2
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 320D Sport
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NL

iTrader: (0)

I red somewhere that there is another way than the payed RTTi, a permanent way. You do need to have the SOS button. Somebody here might know what that is? How to get it?
Appreciate 1
Zebra11.50

      10-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
dianebrat
Private First Class
United_States
24
Rep
149
Posts

Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Boston'ish

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
2019 F36 here as well. I'm using it to navigate metro Boston all the time, it's very accurate and has been for years. Quality of the data must be varying by area.
2019 X2 here and FWIW this summer with the bridge work in Somerville the OEM NAV had no clue even weeks after the bridge closures went into effect and both Apple and Google were right on top of it, so it definitely was behind the curve in the Boston area.
Appreciate 1
GenXer214.00

      10-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
eleven11
Major
eleven11's Avatar
United_States
130
Rep
1,094
Posts

Drives: -F85 X5M-
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Derby City

iTrader: (0)

I like the convenience of having RTTI incorporated into the nav screen, but it's typically useless. It usually requires a massive delay that has been present for some time before showing. I have to rely on Google Maps if time is critical.

Interestingly, it seems (all anecdotal) that the RTTI in my new X5 is more real time.
__________________
2017 X5M - Current
2017 F31 Wagon - Current
2014 M5 ZCP - Retired
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 1
GenXer214.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST