F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 cam for n55 - yields solid gains
European Auto Source (EAS)

10-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #23
AmuroRay
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF30 View Post
Its going to depend on your age or mileage on the motor as to what else you would look at .. you could just replace the exhaust cam,, but that's a lot of labor to not look at other items too.. unless your doing yourself.. in addition Id take a hard look at BPCs custom MILV solution.. for the intake side.. +1mm in intake valve opening. together could be a real solution without pulling the head and porting etc.. cool stuff coming together out there...
How are you liking the B14s?

And are you planning to run the MILVS?
      10-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #24
VAF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
Quote:
Its going to depend on your age or mileage on the motor as to what else you would look at .. you could just replace the exhaust cam,, but that's a lot of labor to not look at other items too.. unless your doing yourself.. in addition Id take a hard look at BPCs custom MILV solution.. for the intake side.. +1mm in intake valve opening. together could be a real solution without pulling the head and porting etc.. cool stuff coming together out there...
Would u say Labor would be more or less then a ps2 install. Just trying to ball park a price for the install + cam
So I would think if your talking about the cam plus timing chain and and components etc .. to remove and replace .. your talking 10-12 hours .. this isn't a bolt on mod you would just add .. you'd probably want another reason to be in there .. unless your chasing more power .. but if your building a motor .. I'd think you'd have to take a look .. along with other modifications to flow more and make your boost levels more efficient. BPC and ABR both have some head customizations to accomplish this as I'm sure others..

Lots of people think boost numbers are for bragging .. but if your making 525whp at 21 boost and someone else can make it at 18 .. because their ability to flow more air in and out .. then that's a much more efficient and less stressful application on components etc .. I'm sure folks who know much more will chime in .. lol ..

With any increase in flow ie more air .. it's also going to need more fuel to make it go boom .. so there's trade offs .. just again depends on your goals and why your trying to get more power.

Long answer.. hope it helps !
2014 F30 N55 EWG - BigBoost 3.3 Turbo Kit - N52 Exhaust Cam - BPC MILV - ER FBO - AFE Momentum CAI - XDI-35 - MPE w Carbon tips - BM3 Custom Tune - 19" Apex Arc 8 w 255/35 square - Bilstien B14 Coil-overs - GC Camber plates - Solid Sub-frame bushings - Powerflex Diff Bushings - BMW L/S Diff - XHP Trans tune -504whp 497wtq on pump 93 only
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #25
VAF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:
How are you liking the B14s?

And are you planning to run the MILVS?
Still cruising on the b14s .. wish I could go a little lower in the rear .. but the ride is holding up for the price ..

Yes I'm going in. I pulled the pan to do preventative maintenance on the rod bearings .. PSA .. we found some plastic pieces of the timing chain tensioner.. ala like the n20 issues.. don't flame me n55 people .. just using as a reference.. as far as I know I'm the only one to see the issue .. and not saying the n55 has this issue. .. probably due to a stretched chain slapping .. as in the n55 platform bmw used a pretty thin chain for engineering reasons and stock or mild tune I would think most would never see the issue. That said .. I'd keep an eye on it.

So since I was now going into a TC and components.. I decided to go ahead with some of the other upgrades too .. bad part is I won't have a baseline since the bigboost kit is going on at same time. .. but would like to see if I gained any higher hp at boost levels per the average out there .. anyway .. nothing wrong with a little more lift and a little more duration! MHO ..

How's yours going ?
2014 F30 N55 EWG - BigBoost 3.3 Turbo Kit - N52 Exhaust Cam - BPC MILV - ER FBO - AFE Momentum CAI - XDI-35 - MPE w Carbon tips - BM3 Custom Tune - 19" Apex Arc 8 w 255/35 square - Bilstien B14 Coil-overs - GC Camber plates - Solid Sub-frame bushings - Powerflex Diff Bushings - BMW L/S Diff - XHP Trans tune -504whp 497wtq on pump 93 only
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #26
AmuroRay
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Still cruising on the b14s .. wish I could go a little lower in the rear .. but the ride is holding up for the price ..

Yes I'm going in. I pulled the pan to do preventative maintenance on the rod bearings .. PSA .. we found some plastic pieces of the timing chain tensioner.. ala like the n20 issues.. don't flame me n55 people .. just using as a reference.. as far as I know I'm the only one to see the issue .. and not saying the n55 has this issue. .. probably due to a stretched chain slapping .. as in the n55 platform bmw used a pretty thin chain for engineering reasons and stock or mild tune I would think most would never see the issue. That said .. I'd keep an eye on it.

So since I was now going into a TC and components.. I decided to go ahead with some of the other upgrades too .. bad part is I won't have a baseline since the bigboost kit is going on at same time. .. but would like to see if I gained any higher hp at boost levels per the average out there .. anyway .. nothing wrong with a little more lift and a little more duration! MHO ..

How's yours going ?
Just got a custom tune from Bob @ Stage FP (used to be the tuner BPC) and Iím itching to drive the car - SO much power, I canít imagine adding more than this!

I have a VC leak, so Iíll be installing the MILVs soon here too.
Appreciate 2
Phyrexia452.00
harkes704.50

10-18-2019, 04:58 AM   #27
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Just got a custom tune from Bob @ Stage FP (used to be the tuner BPC) and I’m itching to drive the car - SO much power, I can’t imagine adding more than this!

I have a VC leak, so I’ll be installing the MILVs soon here too.
Has anyone seen N55 logs with/without MILVs yet? I am really excited

PLEASE document the before/after best you can. No dyno needed just same road, same conditions, 4th gear pull, then VirtualDyno can do the magic Hopefully we will see lower WGDC with same load.

Last edited by harkes; 10-18-2019 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0