F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Upgraded b58 fmic?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-19-2019, 01:32 AM   #1
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Upgraded b58 fmic?

So i remember when i purchased my car there was no word on the horizon about an fmic. Then the mysterious csf one came out and i decided to wait for reviews. None came out. There is one video of anthony zepeda installing it but nothing aside from that.
I get cherry red turbos 2-4 times a week and i love tracking the car so i dont want to blow my stock turbo.
Any ideas on these two products?
Ps list any others you can find.
      10-19-2019, 02:05 AM   #2
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrmdoom View Post
So i remember when i purchased my car there was no word on the horizon about an fmic. Then the mysterious csf one came out and i decided to wait for reviews. None came out. There is one video of anthony zepeda installing it but nothing aside from that.
I get cherry red turbos 2-4 times a week and i love tracking the car so i dont want to blow my stock turbo.
b58 does not have fmic. it has water to air intercooler in the intake manifold which is great even at high boost levels, no need to upgrade.
Appreciate 1
sspade2460.00
      10-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

an intercooler or radiator upgrade won't save your turbo or stop it from glowing red. If you're concerned about EGTs then you need a richer afr on your tune.

Everybody runs into some sort of issue/modification with the radiators i've seen. and it's not needed for most of us. spend the money on other upgrades.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
buran0.00
      10-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
You tuned? If your answer is no then you have 0 to worry about.

Yes tuned, well it runs way richer then stock, so nothing to worry about u less your running 23-24psi
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Quote:
You tuned? If your answer is no then you have 0 to worry about.

Yes tuned, well it runs way richer then stock, so nothing to worry about u less your running 23-24psi
Yes tuned, yes downpipe, yes approx 25. I want it to be cooler and these run off the stock air to water system
      10-19-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
an intercooler or radiator upgrade won't save your turbo or stop it from glowing red. If you're concerned about EGTs then you need a richer afr on your tune.

Everybody runs into some sort of issue/modification with the radiators i've seen. and it's not needed for most of us. spend the money on other upgrades.
Other upgrades like what?
      10-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

Turbos get red when being beat on. No amount of extra cooling in the a/w system could counter act that.
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00
      10-20-2019, 08:25 AM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
wheels
tires
brake pads
charge pipe injection
pure turbo
custom tune
meth
etc etc etc. literally anything else.

Quote:
Yes tuned, yes downpipe, yes approx 25. I want it to be cooler and these run off the stock air to water system
what tune runs 25 psi?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
OzBMR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

MHD maps have options for standard, Sport Cooling Mode For Intercooler & Sport / Race Cooling Mode For Coolant.

"Optimizes the cooling for better air intake temperature on the B58 water to air intercooler. Reduces the coolant temperature for better performance, lower oil temperature and less engine stress."

I can confirm that using the middle "Sport" setting coolant and oil temps are lower than stock. Stock coolant and oil temps were typically 110 degrees C, now 95 - 97 degrees for coolant and about 104 for oil. IAT would also benefit. The track setting would be a good option for track days.
Quarter mile 10.93@127mph

Last edited by OzBMR; 10-20-2019 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50
      10-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #10
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

I don't see how lowering temps of the main coolant circuit, which is used for the engine and oil, will benefit IAT temps.

IAT is governed by charge air cooler, which sits on a separate coolant circuit (the secondary coolant circuit).

Unless the MHD cooling map actually affects BOTH main and secondary coolant circuits, that particular text appears to be a bit misleading.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #11
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Quote:
wheels
tires
brake pads
charge pipe injection
pure turbo
custom tune
meth
etc etc etc. literally anything else.

Quote:
what tune runs 25 psi?
No meth. No pure turbo no cp injection. Dinan cold air intake. Downpipe. Mhd and custom tune i looked at a log once and saw boost at 25. Brakes are zimmerman/akebono. Wheel spacers are 15mm from burger tuning
      10-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #12
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjaman View Post
I don't see how lowering temps of the main coolant circuit, which is used for the engine and oil, will benefit IAT temps.

IAT is governed by charge air cooler, which sits on a separate coolant circuit (the secondary coolant circuit).

Unless the MHD cooling map actually affects BOTH main and secondary coolant circuits, that particular text appears to be a bit misleading.
Because its not magic and probably just running the water pump at higher speeds by increasing input voltage. Both lines will benefit but will put additional stress on the lifetime of the delicate pump.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #13
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No meth. No pure turbo no cp injection. Dinan cold air intake. Downpipe. Mhd and custom tune i looked at a log once and saw boost at 25. Brakes are zimmerman/akebono. Wheel spacers are 15mm from burger tuning
That is just a temporary boost spike.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #14
brainy
Rep
Drives: 340i

What about an interchiller?

https://fiinterchillers.com/products/
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #15
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Because its not magic and probably just running the water pump at higher speeds by increasing input voltage. Both lines will benefit but will put additional stress on the lifetime of the delicate pump.
There are 2 circuit lines.
They both are run by separate water pumps.

Only the secondary coolant circuit has an electric water pump. The main coolant circuit is mechanical water pump only. You can't just "increase input voltage" on a mechanical water pump.

I have no issue with how it can be done.
I'm only trying to make sure that people are aware changing one coolant circuit will have nil impact on the other.

Last edited by CrushJelly; 10-21-2019 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #16
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I suggest looking into a radiator upgrade since the B58 is designed around water cooling. I believe Wagner makes one.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #17
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There are 2 circuit lines.
They both are run by separate water pumps.

Only the secondary coolant circuit has an electric water pump. The main coolant circuit is mechanical water pump only. You can't just "increase input voltage" on a mechanical water pump.

I have no issue with how it can be done.
I'm only trying to make sure that people are aware changing one coolant circuit will have nil impact on the other.
The IAT temps are effected by the electric water pump. The MHD setting is obviously controlling the power to the electric pump.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #18
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Post some logs. I struggle to believe you're hitting 25psi on a pure turbo with no supplemental fueling, but the proof is in the pudding.

Quote:

Quote:
The IAT temps are effected by the electric water pump. The MHD setting is obviously controlling the power to the electric pump.
I think most can agree that the MHD feature is mostly a gimmick. It's the equivalent of running a colder thermostat or more powerful pump. If it helps, then you're running on the ragged edge of tuning to begin with. More surface area/airflow is far superior to to pushing the existing hardware. And we have enough trouble producing solid data with the upgraded radiators to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #19
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There is nothing "obvious" about the MHD parameters.

If MHD is controlling the electric water pump, then it should have no impact on then engine/oil coolant circuit. Yet it does, as users report lower engine water temps and lower oil temps.

So it has to also be controlling the Heat Management Module for the main coolant circuit.

My presumption is that MHD does control the Heat Management Model, but there has never been any actual proof from logs or otherwise that it's also controlling the electric water pump for the secondary coolant circuit. Hence I very much doubt it is actually doing so - and the claim that it lowers IATs is currently unfounded.

Happy to be proven wrong - with evidence of IAT logs or logs of the electric water pump running higher rpm than normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #20
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There is nothing "obvious" about the MHD parameters.

If MHD is controlling the electric water pump, then it should have no impact on then engine/oil coolant circuit. Yet it does, as users report lower engine water temps and lower oil temps.

So it has to also be controlling the Heat Management Module for the main coolant circuit.

My presumption is that MHD does control the Heat Management Model, but there has never been any actual proof from logs or otherwise that it's also controlling the electric water pump for the secondary coolant circuit. Hence I very much doubt it is actually doing so - and the claim that it lowers IATs is currently unfounded.

Happy to be proven wrong - with evidence of IAT logs or logs of the electric water pump running higher rpm than normal.
Ok great, your speculation is as good as mine. Have a nice day.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #21
OzBMR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

I asked MHD about the changes made for the separate cooling circuit for the charge cooler and this is a summary of their response.

With stock settings the electric pump only activates when there is 20 degrees C or more of difference between ambient and IAT. They have lowered the minimum value so the pump starts circulating coolant earlier. They do not alter the pump voltage or max values. It should therefore provide some benefit up to the point where IAT and ambient have 20 degree C differential, after that no difference.

This is a bit like the intercooler water spray that Mitsubishi had for the EVO IX's. With stock maps it would never activate as the settings required coolant temps to be over 100 degrees C before it would spray and temps in those cars never went over 94.
Quarter mile 10.93@127mph

Last edited by OzBMR; 10-22-2019 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      10-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #22
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR View Post
I asked MHD about the changes made for the separate cooling circuit for the charge cooler and this is a summary of their response.

With stock settings the electric pump only activates when there is 20 degrees C or more of difference between ambient and IAT. They have lowered the minimum value so the pump starts circulating coolant earlier. They do not alter the pump voltage or max values. It should therefore provide some benefit up to the point where IAT and ambient had 20 degree C differential, after that no difference.

This is a bit like the intercooler water spray that Mitsubishi had for the EVO IX's. With stock maps it would never activate as the settings required coolant temps to be over 100 degrees C before it would spray and temps in those cars never went over 94.
I dont get it. My car is running mhd stg 2+ set to track cooling. I live in michigan and it gets cold. Why can i see my turbo bright red at night?????