F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Looking at 2015 and 2016 Gran Coupes...a few questions.
GetBMWParts

12-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
md222
Rep
Drives: Beater

Looking at 2015 and 2016 Gran Coupes...a few questions.

After a year or so of research I have finally zeroed in on the 4 series Gran Coupe for my next vehicle. I only have one car and was drawn to the GC due to its combination of sportiness and versatility as a daily driver. I don't drive that many miles, usually only 6k/year. I live in NY so all wheel drive is a desirable feature. Budget wise, I'm looking at a 428xi or 435xi from 2015 or 2016. I've done some research but haven't really been able to identify any major differences between these two model years. If there is nothing noteworthy, I guess the question would be whether to pony up for the extra horsepower of the 435 or if the base four cylinder and its 5.7 second 0-60 time is sufficient. For comparison, I'll be coming from a 1999 Honda Accord V6 that does it in 8 seconds...so I should notice a huge improvement regardless. A few other questions:
  • How would you rate the 4 series for general reliability?
  • Is CPO worth the premium or should I go with a 3rd party extended warranty?
  • As an Android user I know BMW doesn't support Android Auto, but can I at least use spotify?
  • Are run flat tires really as bad as people say?
  • What options or features would you consider must haves?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
greyf36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Grey F36

hey man, I got myself a 2015 428I grancoupe last x'mas and is still very happy
about this car. Although, based on my personal experience and a mechanic friend
who work in a BMW dealership in NYC, BMW is known for having more and more
little problems as it aged...I'd say definitely go with something that has left over factory warranty or some sorta extended warranty....

But in general, this car is pretty reliable, never really have too much problems except the famous door actuator problem

Run flat is FINE, most people feel like they need a spare tire to have a sense of security but i dont see much of a problem with just run-flat.

If you like POWER, definitely go with the 435 instead of 428. I've the 428 with N20, and a JB4 with an INJEN intake, it's fast enough for me since I always have 2 kids in the back seat, so 300+ HP is useless to me. But I would highly recommended getting one with the M package, it's just gonna make your car 200times nicer overall....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

And beware, the M-package on the x-drive cars is just cosmetic. You can't get more aggressive suspension/handling out of the x-drives and they are lifted compared to the regular non-x-drive models (to make room for the x-drive components). BMW refuses to make the x-drives "equal" to the non models.

Those Stingers are awfully nice, a little bigger in every dimension too.
      12-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

I just hit 20K on my 2016 428I Gran Coupe. Got it brand new, no issues so far.
Coming from your Honda Accord, you're going to notice a huge step in performance regardless of which model you choose.

To answer some of your questions

- Reliability has been good with no real issues. I've only had to take the car in for maint.

- I would get warranty or go with Geico vehicle mechanical breakdown insurance.

- Not sure on the android part

- I switched my stock wheels w/ runflats for new black rims without runflats and I like the ride much better now.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
f36_MSport
Rep
Drives: F36 MSport

Hi, the GC is really great. I love it after 2 years with a F30 3 series.

Regarding Android and Spotify, forget about it, it is just crap. You can still di BT streaming yes but if you want to use the ConnectedDrive Spotify Apo on the dashboard you will very quickly see that every 5 songs or so the app dissappears.

The solution for me: switching to iPhone and CarPlay after 5 years of Android usage.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
MiguelM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 1989 E30M3

I just got a 428GC Xdtive, very happy with it, love the looks and versatility, drop the rear seats down and you have plenty of cargo space, enough room to sit 4 people, have two children 21 and 16 years old and they are comfortable in the back.
The 428GC has plenty of power for us in NYC where traffic is heavy, if you set the sports or sports plus mode is all you need, is great on gas, the sports package for me was a must, the bumpers, side skirts and sports seats add very nice details to the car, I also have cold weather package which is also nice, heated steering wheel and heated rear seats, also the heads up display is a great feature.
Make sure you get one built after 1/15 as they corrected the rattling of the timing chain, as far as CPO is nice, I didn't buy the extended warranty, mine is a 2015 and still under factory warranty.
Overall very happy with it, did minor upgrade like the aluminum hex trim, M4 mirrors also have a bset of M Sports brakes along with 19 inches wheels style 403, I'll be running non runflat for summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I don't specifically own a 4GC, but my brother does and I have had many BMW products and plenty of 3 and 4 Series loaners.

I would say the 428/30 is plenty fine for you (although if you find a 435/40i go for it). Coming from a honda accord, it will feel more than fast enough and plenty of fun in comparison. They are more fuel efficient but, I wouldn't say to stray away from the 435/40i either, BMW makes the best inline 6. If you find one in your price range/preferred options, either car is great. Also just know that xDrive models equipped with the M-Sport Package do not receive the better suspension that RWD models get, and don't handle as well as RWD M-Sport models do. If you do find the perfect car and prefer the RWD car's handling, winter tires are always an option. Also I HIGHLY recommend the M-Sport package for the steering wheel alone. The non-M steering wheel feels small, cheap and is in my opinion uglier. The M wheel is nice high quality leather and is thick for great handling and looks so much better.

1) Seems the 3/4 series (F36) are pretty reliable, treat them well and they should run good. My brother has never had any problems with his car, (he owns a 2015 435i). As someone else regarded, models with the four-cylinder (428/430) have been known for having a timing chain issue for the 13' and 14' models, check the build date.

2) BMW CPO is not that good, its only 1 extra year (although unlimited milage but a short period of time). A third party warranty is possibly better, Carmax has some nice warranties and BMW may offer other extended plans that go past their 1 year CPO. Its always handy to have an extended warranty especially if you are worried about reliability, switching from a Japanese to german car can be a bit scary especially if planning to own long-term.

3) I have an iPhone, so I use CarPlay. The spotify app through connected drive is not the best, you're better off using bluetooth.

4) They're ok. I find they are noisier, but coming from an old honda its shouldn't be awful (especially since older Hondas are known for noisy rides), once the first set of tires go, maybe then switch to non run-flats.

5) As far as options, I would say Blind spot monitoring is really nice, heated seats/steering wheel (depends on where you live), and the Technology/Navigation Package (larger screen and full iDrive). Being that you are looking at used 4 series make sure the vehicle has a back up camera, before 2018 they were stupidly an extra cost option, as well as LED headlights, i believe the 4 came standard with halogens like the 3 series (although I may be wrong)
      12-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
md222
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyf36 View Post
hey man, I got myself a 2015 428I grancoupe last x'mas and is still very happy
about this car. Although, based on my personal experience and a mechanic friend
who work in a BMW dealership in NYC, BMW is known for having more and more
little problems as it aged...I'd say definitely go with something that has left over factory warranty or some sorta extended warranty....

But in general, this car is pretty reliable, never really have too much problems except the famous door actuator problem

Run flat is FINE, most people feel like they need a spare tire to have a sense of security but i dont see much of a problem with just run-flat.

If you like POWER, definitely go with the 435 instead of 428. I've the 428 with N20, and a JB4 with an INJEN intake, it's fast enough for me since I always have 2 kids in the back seat, so 300+ HP is useless to me. But I would highly recommended getting one with the M package, it's just gonna make your car 200times nicer overall....
Glad you are enjoying your GC and that it has been reliable. I definitely need to do some research to understand my extended warranty options.

I do like power, but as another poster stated, I might not need more than the 428 considering I spend a good bit of my time in traffic...and even when the roads are clear I'm only driving about 20 miles a day. Might make more sense spending the additional cash on a better equipped 428 than a more bare bones 435. I do like the appearance of the M package.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
md222
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
And beware, the M-package on the x-drive cars is just cosmetic. You can't get more aggressive suspension/handling out of the x-drives and they are lifted compared to the regular non-x-drive models (to make room for the x-drive components). BMW refuses to make the x-drives "equal" to the non models.

Those Stingers are awfully nice, a little bigger in every dimension too.
That's too bad they don't make the x-drives handle the same or close to the same as the non models. I do like the cosmetic upgrades though. And I'd have to imagine even a late model BMW sedan with x-drive should be heads and shoulders above a ~20 year old Honda. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by md222 View Post
That's too bad they don't make the x-drives handle the same or close to the same as the non models. I do like the cosmetic upgrades though. And I'd have to imagine even a late model BMW sedan with x-drive should be heads and shoulders above a ~20 year old Honda. lol
I think the track handling package was available in 2016 on x drive GC (not sure about 2015). That provided better suspension, brakes, steering. I don't know how common it was.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #11
md222
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
Coming from your Honda Accord, you're going to notice a huge step in performance regardless of which model you choose.

- Reliability has been good with no real issues. I've only had to take the car in for maint.

- I switched my stock wheels w/ runflats for new black rims without runflats and I like the ride much better now.
Thanks. Happy to hear your GC has been trouble free. I took a quick look at the Geico vehicle mechanical breakdown insurance...apparently you can only get it before your original factory warranty expires. That makes me think differently about cars with even a few months of BMW warranty left. How much did switching the wheels cost you?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #12
md222
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f36_MSport View Post
Hi, the GC is really great. I love it after 2 years with a F30 3 series.

Regarding Android and Spotify, forget about it, it is just crap. You can still di BT streaming yes but if you want to use the ConnectedDrive Spotify Apo on the dashboard you will very quickly see that every 5 songs or so the app dissappears.

The solution for me: switching to iPhone and CarPlay after 5 years of Android usage.
Really sucks about the lack of Android support. I just can't bring myself to move to Apple. Most importantly I'm glad you are loving your GC.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I have a 2015 428 GC. The MPG difference for a 428 and the 435 is negligible, so if a very nice 435 comes up at a good price, jump on it. That said, the 428 has more than enough power to move you in traffic (or out of it). Mine has been trouble free in the 3.5yrs of ownership; it's only been in for 3 oil changes. Car just rolled over 24K miles, so I drive it about as much as you expect you to drive yours. Love the versatility of the hatch which is one of the main reasons I chose it over a 3er. The run flats are really noisy on SOME roads but for the most part are livable. I'd like to drive one that had go-flats to actually hear the difference in noise and feel the difference in driving/handling though. I'm sure it's night and day there.

CPO is marketing; it doesn't cover most of what you'd expect to go wrong. If it comes with the car, fine, but don't rely on it to bail you out on everything.

Good luck in your search.
      12-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
md222
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelM3 View Post
I just got a 428GC Xdtive, very happy with it, love the looks and versatility, drop the rear seats down and you have plenty of cargo space, enough room to sit 4 people, have two children 21 and 16 years old and they are comfortable in the back.
The 428GC has plenty of power for us in NYC where traffic is heavy, if you set the sports or sports plus mode is all you need, is great on gas, the sports package for me was a must, the bumpers, side skirts and sports seats add very nice details to the car, I also have cold weather package which is also nice, heated steering wheel and heated rear seats, also the heads up display is a great feature.
Make sure you get one built after 1/15 as they corrected the rattling of the timing chain, as far as CPO is nice, I didn't buy the extended warranty, mine is a 2015 and still under factory warranty.
Overall very happy with it, did minor upgrade like the aluminum hex trim, M4 mirrors also have a bset of M Sports brakes along with 19 inches wheels style 403, I'll be running non runflat for summer tires.

98% of the time I will be the only passenger...but my young child should fit quite well in the back, as should a couple adults for short trips or airport runs.

I agree that the 428 should have enough power for me to navigate the FDR Drive and GW Bridge each day when I'm not in stop and go traffic. lol

Is the sports package the same as the M package? I do like the looks of the more stylized bumpers, and sports seats are nice too. I've never had a heated steering wheel, or seats, but I'm guessing it's the type of thing you don't know how good it is to have until you have it.

I will definitely look for a build date after 1/15. Any way to easily determine the manufacture date by entering the VIN in an online database?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #15
md222
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I don't specifically own a 4GC, but my brother does and I have had many BMW products and plenty of 3 and 4 Series loaners.

I would say the 428/30 is plenty fine for you (although if you find a 435/40i go for it). Coming from a honda accord, it will feel more than fast enough and plenty of fun in comparison. They are more fuel efficient but, I wouldn't say to stray away from the 435/40i either, BMW makes the best inline 6. If you find one in your price range/preferred options, either car is great. Also just know that xDrive models equipped with the M-Sport Package do not receive the better suspension that RWD models get, and don't handle as well as RWD M-Sport models do. If you do find the perfect car and prefer the RWD car's handling, winter tires are always an option. Also I HIGHLY recommend the M-Sport package for the steering wheel alone. The non-M steering wheel feels small, cheap and is in my opinion uglier. The M wheel is nice high quality leather and is thick for great handling and looks so much better.

1) Seems the 3/4 series (F36) are pretty reliable, treat them well and they should run good. My brother has never had any problems with his car, (he owns a 2015 435i). As someone else regarded, models with the four-cylinder (428/430) have been known for having a timing chain issue for the 13' and 14' models, check the build date.

2) BMW CPO is not that good, its only 1 extra year (although unlimited milage but a short period of time). A third party warranty is possibly better, Carmax has some nice warranties and BMW may offer other extended plans that go past their 1 year CPO. Its always handy to have an extended warranty especially if you are worried about reliability, switching from a Japanese to german car can be a bit scary especially if planning to own long-term.

3) I have an iPhone, so I use CarPlay. The spotify app through connected drive is not the best, you're better off using bluetooth.

4) They're ok. I find they are noisier, but coming from an old honda its shouldn't be awful (especially since older Hondas are known for noisy rides), once the first set of tires go, maybe then switch to non run-flats.

5) As far as options, I would say Blind spot monitoring is really nice, heated seats/steering wheel (depends on where you live), and the Technology/Navigation Package (larger screen and full iDrive). Being that you are looking at used 4 series make sure the vehicle has a back up camera, before 2018 they were stupidly an extra cost option, as well as LED headlights, i believe the 4 came standard with halogens like the 3 series (although I may be wrong)
If there's any truth to BMW being the ultimate driving machine I have to agree that any model 4 series should be night and day over my old Honda. Driving so little I'm not really that concerned about MPG. I know even the 428 is a lot faster than what I have now...but there's still something about going to a 4 cylinder that I'm not crazy about. I do like the M-sport package for the nicer looks and steering wheel.

Even though it sounds like these cars have pretty decent reliability, going from Japanese to German (and used at that) does make me a bit nervous. I really think I will go with an extended warranty of some sort, even if it's just for catastrophic coverage. While I'd rather not pay more for various repairs, I can handle the cost of smaller items and know it's somewhat par for the course when going with a sportier German vehicle.

I guess I'll see how the run flats perform and sound and figure things out from there. I assume you have to change the wheels to go to traditional tires?

I definitely want the Tech/Nav package. I'll keep an eye out for the backup camera...is that simply an solo add on or is it included in any package? I do like the look of the LED headlights as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #16
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

You do NOT need to change the wheels when going to go-flats.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #17
md222
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
You do NOT need to change the wheels when going to go-flats.

Great to know. Thanks. I guess the main downside of making the switch would be having no spare on hand.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #18
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
I think the track handling package was available in 2016 on x drive GC (not sure about 2015). That provided better suspension, brakes, steering. I don't know how common it was.
To be clear, I believe you are referring to the adaptive suspension, which is a slight improvement, but the car retains the extra-high x-drive ride-height and doesn't come with stiffened suspension. I like a sporty firm ride that is well damped, the car felt like a boat in "normal". Calling it a "track handling package" is a huge misnomer. They should be publicly admonished for that. There has not been a "705 sport suspension" for the x-drive 3/4 series as far as I know.

If that package came with the M-sport brakes front and rear, then that's something. I felt the brakes were "wooden" when using them, not a whole lot of feedback and just didn't feel like massively powerful stoppers. You know how you can bring a car to a stop and not even feel it, that wasn't possible 99% of the time. The brakes look nice though.

Better steering? What does that even mean? The steering is another low-point, with a "dead spot" in the center where there's "play". This has plagued all of the 3/4 series and is one of the number one complaints. I don't think it's as bad running the car in sport, but it's annoying.

Again, there is no real effort to make this more of a performance/driving experience car. This is different than the non-x-drive cars where you can actually get a sport suspension setup from the factory.

As far as power, I'd say it's more than adequate. These dyno at the wheels around what they claim as the power output and torque is available at low RPM with the 8spd transmission. This means it'll get up and move just fine. The biggest difference you'll notice is as you get going much faster, like 80mph+, the seat of your pants acceleration won't be as great as a 35/40 model obviously. It'll still accelerate smartly, but you'll quickly run into illegal speeds if you are seeking where more HP and TQ will make you go substantially faster. Not that I wouldn't want it, but I'd definitely want the whole package going that far, engine, suspension, etc., and in reality 95% of the time it's not needed. The other 5% is just for pure fun.

Last edited by RM7; 12-10-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #19
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

I've had a F36 for a few months now, after a 3 years of an F31. To be honest in almost all situations the F36, with all it's coupe good looks, is as practical. The fold down seats, rear doors and huge hatch are all you need in terms of practicality 99% of the time. I just went to pick up an 8ft Christmas tree in it, easy. Also the powered hatch is just great, also pillar-less doors and the low driving position, it has all the stuff to make you smile each time you climb in

Between the two you have mentioned, the 335 with the straight six should be the clear winner imo. Even if you don't need to use the power, it will feel smoother and meatier on even a short city drive. Even a car hating eco warrior would be able to detect the difference if you forced them to drive the six for a week, and then down-graded them to the 4

Whatever engine you choose though, you will love the GC. I'm not saying that because I have one, I'm saying I have one because it was the obvious choice. No other car I could find was as good an all rounder, especially if you're a sporty driver and choose the straight six.

Not sure what premium the six attracts in the US but whatever it is, bare in mind you'll get most of the difference back when you sell it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #20
lonecitizenfour
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i XDrive

Garage List
I saw the word Stinger and would like to say go for that LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #21
The Reverend
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i

I've got the 2016 435 and I have to say, whenever I think about my next car, I always come back to the one I have. In terms of practicality, fun to drive factor, its the best. Run-flats are noisy and annoying, avoid them if you can.

I'd highly recommend the Dinan Shockware though. Tightens up the vehicle remarkably.
Appreciate 1
N26Ghost496.50
      12-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #22
ricobrumsey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' 435 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by md222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post

Thanks. Happy to hear your GC has been trouble free. I took a quick look at the Geico vehicle mechanical breakdown insurance...apparently you can only get it before your original factory warranty expires. That makes me think differently about cars with even a few months of BMW warranty left. How much did switching the wheels cost you?
I am looking for a similar vehicle as well (2015 or 2016 435 GC). Thought hey the Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance sounds like a fantastic option, but then came across some disheartening tidbits.

The requirement for Geico MBI is the car has to be less than 15 months old and less than 15k miles, which takes any 15', 16', or 17' out of the conversation.

I am looking into getting an extended warranty on either a 15 or 16 via a dealer. I haven't heard a compelling reason to go CPO.
Appreciate 0