F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Lifetime oil change coverage for $650 - worth it?
GetBMWParts

07-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Lifetime oil change coverage for $650 - worth it?

So I know that the 700+ oil change I paid for will pay for it self in 3 years or (probally 4 years since I won't be driving much and will be garaged mostly),

Is this a good deal because I know many do oil change themselves and saw on youtube how simple it is. Only reason I did this was that dealerships usually inspect your car and if anything is out of the ordinary I won't be able to find it on my own if I did oil change myself.

Or, do they not check this and it's just oil change?

I plan on keeping the car for minimum 5-7 years So overally yeah it saves but just curious about all thorough do they check for other issues.

And I think this will also help carfaxt and keep records as well.

Initially my plan was do my own oil change and then go to the routing 10k mile check (not sure if that is right but something like that), and that will show if anything is wrong .

What do most people do ? LIfetime oil change or just each session of 185$ (i believe it is). No way, i will go to jiffy lubet etc..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

how many oil changes per year tho? if its one a year which it likely is. then whats the point

edit: that multipoint insepction will only point out consumables which can already be found if you know anythiung about cars

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Uhmmm...is this a BMW dealer offer? You can pretty much assume their main incentive with this is to get you in the door and upsell you every time you come in.

Is it transferrable to another car that you may buy in the future? What if you move, will another dealer honor it?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
how many oil changes per year tho? if its one a year which it likely is. then whats the point
Yeah I was thinking if it's once a year but let say it is once a year. In 5 years It will pay off . But mainly went this route because they will do their checks etc but the. Again I'm thinking once a year check then lol

But who knows might be 2x a year

I do know I'll keep this car for awhile and start growing attached to it and eventually will save.

I'm sure I won't be moving anywhere but should ask if it's transferable to new car (which I doubt) and or able to go other dealer if I move (which I'll prob be in Seattle for awhile due to work)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
If this is for a new BMW, you get three years of free maintenance with the car. Then I would say that the deal doesn’t make sense.
Appreciate 1
nakamuru135.50
      07-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
If this is for a new BMW, you get three years of free maintenance with the car. Then I would say that the deal doesn't make sense.
This was cpo 2019. Does that include maintenance? Did I get charged unnecessary?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
You should be able to get an oil change for $100 (or less).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
You should be able to get an oil change for $100 (or less).
I think bmw Seattle charges 165 or something like that. Is 100 the norm? And is actual dealer?

Well longer I own this then will pay off. Luckily I keep cars long
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The LAST thing you should do, AND I MEAN THE LAST THING you should ever do is take a BMW to Jiffy Lube for an oil change.

Just pay as you go dude. All you are doing is fronting the dealership money that they make interest on.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
When I brought my new-to-me i3 BEV into the local dealership for a warranty issue back in May, they tried to sell me the complete maintenance package for about $700. I was due for the two-year brake fluid change and dealer inspection, which would cost me a smidge over $300. By upgrading to the complete package, I could get free scheduled services for the remainder of my warranty (17 months) for "only"$700.

I asked the service advisor why I should pay $700 for a $300 service? The reason was because it covers all oil/filter changes, air filters, and every other scheduled service. I'd be saving money. I asked when the next scheduled service was due on my car to see if they were awake that it was an electric car, and the answer was that another brake fluid change was due in 24 months...7 months after the package expires. The advisor laughed it off about forgetting that my i3 BEV didn't have an engine, but you have to wonder how many people not familiar with their vehicle's scheduled service charts would have paid for this "deal" to save money?

You can take it to the bank that any car dealer is doing a free once-over on any car they put on a lift, trying to sell additional non-warranty "gravy" work. The head mechanic pointed out that my car was down to 4mm of tread on the rear tires, trying to sell them to me (at a surprisingly fair price). I only owned the car for a week at the time, and was happy that the low tires (that I already knew about) were all that they could find wrong with it.....
      07-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
I think bmw Seattle charges 165 or something like that. Is 100 the norm? And is actual dealer?

So if you buy this service, all the dealership will do is change the oil per the schedule set by BMW's Condition Based Service system. I do not know what the average oil change interval is for the 2019 model year cars, but BMW tends to have very long oil change intervals between 10,000 and 20,000 miles (my 2006 E90 routinely had 17,000 OCI), or if you do not drive it a lot, then the OCI (oil change interval) is every 12-months. So based on what you say that the car will be "garaged mostly", then if the service is $700, your break even is 7 years. Are you going to keep the car that long? Also consider these issues:

-The service is probably not transferable, so there is no resale value to you.

-The service is probably only for your car (VIN) so if your car is totaled in 2 years, you've lost $500.

-If you go on a long trip that will go past in mileage the next oil change needs to be completed, I doubt the dealership will change the oil early. For example if your car is due for an oil service in 2,000 miles and you are taking a 3-week driving trip that will go 6,000 miles, you'll be on the road somewhere when you need the oil changed, so you'll have to pay out of pocket.

Just pay as you go like everyone else does.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
      07-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
This was cpo 2019. Does that include maintenance? Did I get charged unnecessary?
For $100, you can transfer the maintenance to you. It will then be 3 years from the first date of service (delivery date to first customer).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Quote:

That's the going rate in GA. Dealerships around $100, euro shops $75 ish.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #14
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
For $100, you can transfer the maintenance to you. It will then be 3 years from the first date of service (delivery date to first customer).
Well here is what happened. I was kind offered the oil change towards the last stretch of signing papers and then when the lifetime oil change popped up, I asked 2 questions (or more but these are what I remember).

1). How much is oil change? Answer was quoted around 150-165 I believe.

2). If I go in oil change 2x a year then should pay off after the 3rd year. And the guy I was dealing agreed.

Seems we were chatting about random stuff so didn't really focus on what was at stake. Was quite nice chat too.

Anyways, Now I realize bmw seattle usually has oil change deals and you can basically get it for 110 (120 including tax). And realizing I will drive probally around 5-7 k miles that will equate to one oil change a year (since the service guy says around 5-6k is when it's due).

And he mentioned CPO that I have till November 8th 2021 to get free oil change (that's about 2.5 years).

So when I asked if oil change was gonna get payed off within 3 years , I basically had free oil change then and was never told this.

I left a voice message to the financial manager and wondering what are odds of getting this off my invoice as I realize paying as I go is best as uncertain how I will keep this (even though its a awesome ride).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #15
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So if you buy this service, all the dealership will do is change the oil per the schedule set by BMW's Condition Based Service system. I do not know what the average oil change interval is for the 2019 model year cars, but BMW tends to have very long oil change intervals between 10,000 and 20,000 miles (my 2006 E90 routinely had 17,000 OCI), or if you do not drive it a lot, then the OCI (oil change interval) is every 12-months. So based on what you say that the car will be "garaged mostly", then if the service is $700, your break even is 7 years. Are you going to keep the car that long? Also consider these issues:

-The service is probably not transferable, so there is no resale value to you.

-The service is probably only for your car (VIN) so if your car is totaled in 2 years, you've lost $500.

-If you go on a long trip that will go past in mileage the next oil change needs to be completed, I doubt the dealership will change the oil early. For example if your car is due for an oil service in 2,000 miles and you are taking a 3-week driving trip that will go 6,000 miles, you'll be on the road somewhere when you need the oil changed, so you'll have to pay out of pocket.

Just pay as you go like everyone else does.
Keeping the car for 7 years, I don't really mind if I'm detailing my car and not much extreme changes on newer bmw that come out. Generation 4 might even look worse . Who knows. I might not even really care too much about cars and get more practical and keep it for 10 years and pays off. But since there is no certainty I should try to get the lifetime oil off.. I got the car in July 3rd so it has even been a week. Just leaving voicemessage not sure when I'll get response.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #16
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Oil changes are a BMW Value service that helps BMW dealers compete with independent shops.

https://bmwusaservice.com/valueservice
Appreciate 1
nakamuru135.50
      07-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #17
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Nice thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #18
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
All newer BMWs the computer is set for 10,000 miles or one year for an oil change. Driving conditions and styles can reduce the 10,000 miles. So driving 7K a year, you can expect one low mileage oil change each year.
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      07-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #19
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Dude, FCPeuro lifetime warranty on everything including oil. $120 one time and you can change the oil all you want for life
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #20
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Dude, FCPeuro lifetime warranty on everything including oil. $120 one time and you can change the oil all you want for life
I somewhat assumed it wouldn't apply to oil? Have you done this? If so, signing up tomorrow. I typically alternate between BMW oil changes (service agreement) and one on my own at home, at 5k intervals.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #21
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

It does seem the policy applies to engine oil. But here are the fine details. You have to purchase the replacement items first. Then you have to ship the old parts back which would include sending the oil filter and most probably the used oil in the plastic bottles/containers which the new oil was shipped in. And you have to pay for the shipping yourself as reimbursement for return shipping is not covered by the lifetime warranty. For those that are near FCP's warehouse, this is going to be an easy deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #22
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I somewhat assumed it wouldn't apply to oil? Have you done this? If so, signing up tomorrow. I typically alternate between BMW oil changes (service agreement) and one on my own at home, at 5k intervals.
Literally EVERYTHING on their site. Yes you do have to pay for return shipping on the waste oil which averages around $40-$50. And as with any warranty claim you don’t get refunded until they receive the original item. Customer service is great, they won’t hassle anyone. I’ve purchased motor oil, diff oil, rear wheel bearings, cam position sensors, a couple uncommon sockets. You won’t find one bad review of them on the forum, and a ton of the guy who’ve owned M3s for a while use them.
Appreciate 0