F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Uneven tire tread causing massive traction problems - wlll this fix it?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-01-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
GrabEmByTheBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

I'm running a set of staggered runflat Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's on my RWD F30. Fronts are 225/40//19, rears are 255/35/19.

I've been driving with the passenger rear tire much newer than the rest of the tires, thus notably more tread. This, however, hasn't produced any super noticable traction issues.

However, my passenger front tire recently had to be replaced. So now, both passenger tires have notably more tread than the drivers side tires. This has caused a surprisingly unsafe feeling whenever I gun it. The car sways side to side, at times to the point where it almost feels like I'll lose control.

These runflats are expensive. I almost got PS4S's but I like the idea of runflats and as far as runflats go, these are among the best. I don't want to buy a whole new set - do you think setting one of the new tires diagonal to the other new tire may help counter this? AKA, if I move the new passenger front tire to the front drivers side, so that it's diagonal with the newer rear passenger tire - might that help a bit?

It makes sense in my head but I really have no idea. Obviously new tires would be ideal but at that point I think I'd just get a new set of PS4S.

Last edited by GrabEmByTheBimmer; 12-01-2018 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
Pittcrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril Blue 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabEmByTheBimmer View Post
I'm running a set of staggered runflat Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's on my RWD F30. Fronts are 225/40//19, rears are 255/35/19.

I've been driving with the passenger rear tire much newer than the rest of the tires, thus notably more tread. This, however, hasn't produced any super noticable traction issues.

However, my passenger front tire recently had to be replaced. So now, both passenger tires have notably more tread than the drivers side tires. This has caused a massively unsafe feeling whenever I gun it. The car sways back and forth to the point where it almost feels like I'll lose control momentarily.

These runflats are expensive. I almost got PS4S's but I like the idea of runflats and as far as runflats go, these are among the best. I don't want to buy a whole new set - do you think setting one of the new tires diagonal to the other new tire may help counter this? AKA, if I move the new passenger front tire to the front drivers side, so that it's diagonal with the newer rear passenger tire - might that help a bit?

It makes sense in my head but I really have no idea. Obviously new tires would be ideal but at that point I think I'd just get a new set of PS4S.
I'm no tire expert but the amount of tread available on any given tire determines its roiling circumference. At the very least you need to make sure the circumference is the same for both tires on the same axle (front axle and rear axle). If they are not the same the tires are actually covering different distances each revolution. I would think this would play havoc with rear differential and also the computer that determines when to activate the traction control. I don't think switching one tire from the passenger side to the drivers side will help solve the problem.
      12-02-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Guys, come on, having a couple of new tires mixed in with some worn ones will in no way result in what the OP thinks he's feeling...and why would replacing a front tire all of a sudden have an impact on traction of a RWD car?

Either something else is wrong/bent/broken...or it's paranoia.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #4
anakha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Not sure if this slight unevenness would result in what you're describing, but I'd try the following:

1. Check and correct cold tire pressure to be the same for both tires on each axle. Be very meticulous about this and check in the morning after the car has been sitting overnight. Maybe slightly overfill the night before and drain to correct in the AM if you don't have a way to fill at your own home.

2. If the budget can handle it (sounds like it can), consider getting a Road Force balance and make sure they do the STRAIGHTTRAK LFM or whatever the new version is called where they consider the forces on all four wheels additively (gsp9700.com).

3. Get an alignment and ask for the printout of the alignment machine. You might be surprised by how often places will only THEN tell you they couldn't get something to spec or that their printer is "broken"...

Between those three things, I think most problems are fixed unless something more serious is broken, bent, or damaged. Hope this wasn't telling you stuff you already know, but probably a good place to start.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
Pittcrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril Blue 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Guys, come on, having a couple of new tires mixed in with some worn ones will in no way result in what the OP thinks he's feeling...and why would replacing a front tire all of a sudden have an impact on traction of a RWD car?

Either something else is wrong/bent/broken...or it's paranoia.
If you read the post he said he's having stability issues only when he guns it, not traction issues. This started when he installed a new front tire. So he now has 2 new tires on the right side of the car and 2 tires on the left side of the car that are closer to slicks, this could easily cause the car to consistently pull to the left. This could cause the stability or traction program in the car to try to correct the problem. Like I said, I'm no expert. That's one of the nice things about these types of forums, you have a problem, you post it, and hope someone has an idea of what the solution could be. Everyone throws in their opinion. I don't think the OP is paranoid, sounds like he has a real problem, so maybe go easy on the insults next time.
      12-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabEmByTheBimmer View Post

However, my passenger front tire recently had to be replaced. So now, both passenger tires have notably more tread than the drivers side tires. This has caused a surprisingly unsafe feeling whenever I gun it. The car sways side to side, at times to the point where it almost feels like I'll lose control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
If you read the post he said he's having stability issues only when he guns it, not traction issues. This started when he installed a new front tire. So he now has 2 new tires on the right side of the car and 2 tires on the left side of the car that are closer to slicks, this could easily cause the car to consistently pull to the left. This could cause the stability or traction program in the car to try to correct the problem. Like I said, I'm no expert. That's one of the nice things about these types of forums, you have a problem, you post it, and hope someone has an idea of what the solution could be. Everyone throws in their opinion. I don't think the OP is paranoid, sounds like he has a real problem, so maybe go easy on the insults next time.
I don't know, when I read someone say traction, I assume they mean traction. Also, his description in red sounds like he's losing traction in the rear causing the car to slide side to side...you know, as in, no traction... He also didn't say anything about slicks, but that would be a good thing if he was, since slicks will grip better, unless he's driving on wet roads...
Not sure where you think I insulted anyone.

Last edited by Emilime75; 12-02-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
GrabEmByTheBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Thanks everyone for your posts. I played around with it more and the 'scary' feeling only really happens in Sport mode (traction control enabled). Sport+ doesn't give me near the same level of problems.

It also appears that at high speeds I have less control too (a little wobbly, slightly). One of the drawbacks of the runflats is that if you use them as runflats (aka you drive on them while they're flat), if you're safety-concious then you're simultaniously admitting that ok, I'm not going to immediately stop and change this tire out, so I'm going to need a brand new tire (sure you can patch it, but it's compromised now that the sidewall's been ridden on). This costs more money and in my case, can throw the car out of whack (diff tread depths on multiple tires).

I've got a 14 day return window on this runflat - I may return it next weekend and opt for a set of the PS4s...I really hate the idea of getting a flat on the highway and having to change a tire on the side of the road (I have a spare but hate the unsafe feeling of changing it on side of highway). I guess though, that if in the rare instance that situation should arise, I could always try to ride on the flat tire as long as possible to the next exit - hopefully the worst case scenario would be a destroyed wheel and nothing more than that - but who knows.
Appreciate 0