F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Driver Window switch block + mirrors not working
ARMA SPEED

11-10-2018, 03:08 AM   #1
Aaroona
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Driver Window switch block + mirrors not working

I went to take my car for a wash today, everything was functioning fine. Windows were working fine from the drivers switch block and Mirrors were working (specifically, passenger side reverse drop).

After washing the car (hand washed, water blaster etc.), I went to wind down the window, since the car had been in the sun while being washed.

Bam. Windows don't work from drivers door control... Okay, well that's odd. Next I put the car into reverse to leave the park and then I noticed the mirror didn't go down.

So I pulled back into the car park and fired up ISTA - to which I noticed there was 2 new errors;
D90C03 - LIN master K_LIN_1: Short circuit
D90C05 - LIN master K_LIN_1: Communication faulty

Now after some research, I can' t find bugger all online - but I've tried;
- Disconnecting my drivers side mirror
- Checked fuses, all good.
- Individual switches on each door works for their respective windows.
- Triggering the ECU function from ISTA to wind the drivers window up or down works fine.
- Triggering any mirror functions from ISTA does NOT appear to work (left or right)
- Other FEM controlled items work - CA, individual window switches on doors (except drivers door), lighting, etc.
- Mirrors do not fold anymore from Key, nor from drivers door switch block.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? I am hopeful that it's nothing serious and an easy fix... but I am at a loss as to what to check next.

Last edited by Aaroona; 11-10-2018 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroona View Post
I went to take my car for a wash today, everything was functioning fine. Windows were working fine from the drivers switch block and Mirrors were working (specifically, passenger side reverse drop).

After washing the car (hand washed, water blaster etc.), I went to wind down the window, since the car had been in the sun while being washed.

Bam. Windows don't work from drivers door control... Okay, well that's odd. Next I put the car into reverse to leave the park and then I noticed the mirror didn't go down.

So I pulled back into the car park and fired up ISTA - to which I noticed there was 2 new errors;

- Triggering the ECU function from ISTA to wind the drivers window up or down works fine.
- Triggering any mirror functions from ISTA does NOT appear to work (left or right)
- Other FEM controlled items work - CA, individual window switches on doors (except drivers door), lighting, etc.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? I am hopeful that it's nothing serious and an easy fix... but I am at a loss as to what to check next.

[IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/wrUUvw.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/5NI6vm.png[/IMG]
Have you checked the wiring loom for the door and mirrors? Usually when there is a short circuit the wires get hot and melt together.
From the fault description and your comments, sounds like its to do with the mirror switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:18 AM   #3
prancuzas
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

well i have the same exact problem.

guys at service shop told whole FEM unit needs to be replaced. it's costly as it's VIN-tied to a car.

although i have a feeling it's a bit weather dependent as for me it stopped working during cold winter. after it got warmer abit - it started working again, then died, then worked again, now it's dead. waiting for warmer weather to comeup...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
93rdp
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 B7, VW Golf 6, BMW F31

Aaroona , did you managed to solve this issue? I’m having the same problem with a F31. The car is now at an electrician for 2 weeks almost and he couldn’t identify the problem yet...
Some advice would be much needed.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93rdp View Post
Aaroona , did you managed to solve this issue? I'm having the same problem with a F31. The car is now at an electrician for 2 weeks almost and he couldn't identify the problem yet...
Thanks.
I have had a master window switch go bad, but it's most likely a short in the KCAN Connection.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #6
93rdp
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 B7, VW Golf 6, BMW F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I have had a master window switch go bad, but it's most likely a short in the KCAN Connection.
Problem solved. The issue was the electric motor of the side mirror which was defective, causing a short in the LIN network.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 05:24 AM   #7
F31_dude
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Aaroona , did you managed to solve this issue? I’m having the same problem with a F31. The car is now at an electrician for 2 weeks almost and he couldn’t identify the problem yet...
Thanks.
Did you ever fix this?

if so how? absolute nightmare, I've replaced the driver's side control panel and still the same issues

Windows don't work from control panel, rear windows don't work either, mirrors don't fold

front passenger window does work regardless

Windows and mirrors all work from the fob

Fault codes are: D90C04
D90D07
D90D0A
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 05:39 AM   #8
F31_dude
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Problem solved. The issue was the electric motor of the side mirror which was defective, causing a short in the LIN network.
did the motor throw up an error code? I'm having a similar issue right now
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #9
Grateful_Newt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 05:31 PM   #10
Mrzay
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroona View Post

Hey, I’m having the exact same problem. Did you end up fixing this problem? Need some help
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 11:28 PM   #11
f30mason
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

did you ever figure this out, im having the same problem
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 11:41 PM   #12
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30mason View Post
did you ever figure this out, im having the same problem
You better start a new thread with your specific issue. There are too many different people with different problems listed here.