F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > End of warranty check and alloy wheels white worm?
Studio RSR

10-01-2020, 05:39 AM   #23
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

What a shocking state of affairs. On my previous 3 series, I had one rear 442M replaced under warranty, one rear replaced under goodwill out of warranty and one refurbed through BMW that I curbed. All were fine and immaculate when collected.

There must be a problem with either their balancing machine (locking centre cap), the unsympathetic way the mechanics treat the wheels or both.

You would think that once you had taken the car back once they would be extra careful next time round...obviously not.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 06:28 AM   #24
DC78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 430D Coupe

I had the same on my last 430 - wheels were a disgrace less than a year.

I opted to have them powder coated and painted.

Dealer paid and provided a car while it was done.

As others have said the diamond cut wheels are rubbish.

I fully expect to be back with my new car in a year or as soon as I've had a wheel off.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #25
RoryD
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

End of warranty check and alloy wheels white worm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryD View Post
Just checked mine and I have corrosion around the centre caps on the rear wheels only. Sadly not on the front that I managed to kerb!

I'm still in warranty so contacting the dealer about a claim!

Cheers
Rory
I've been down to the dealer and they have taken a video and booked me in for a few weeks time. Let's see if the work gets approved. Thanks wlightning I wouldn't have checked them Ofer carefully if is not read this thread!

Cheers
Rory
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #26
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryD View Post
I've been down to the dealer and they have taken a video and booked me in for a few weeks time. Let's see if the work gets approved. Thanks wlightning I wouldn't have checked them Ofer carefully if is not read this thread!

Cheers
Rory
Fingers crossed Rory.

I wish I checked mine carefully before the warranty ended. Admittedly I was a bit lazy as I relied on the end of warranty check, which I still believe is very misleading. I've raised this with BMW UK and BMW Global, both have taken my point but obviously don't agree with me.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #27
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
I would have said that one of their mechanics has zero mechanical sympathy when putting the centres in and doesn't line them up properly, or their wheel balancing machine has burrs or something on it that's damaging the lacquer when it's tightened up. But that damage doesn't look quite like either, it almost looks like a hammer hit.
The more I look at the damage the more I wonder WTF they used to cause it. It's not just the lacquer, it's literally taking chunks of the metal off.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #28
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
What a shocking state of affairs. On my previous 3 series, I had one rear 442M replaced under warranty, one rear replaced under goodwill out of warranty and one refurbed through BMW that I curbed. All were fine and immaculate when collected.

There must be a problem with either their balancing machine (locking centre cap), the unsympathetic way the mechanics treat the wheels or both.

You would think that once you had taken the car back once they would be extra careful next time round...obviously not.
I've been told there's going to be a new tyre fitter. Coincidence? I've been told not...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #29
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC78 View Post
I had the same on my last 430 - wheels were a disgrace less than a year.

I opted to have them powder coated and painted.

Dealer paid and provided a car while it was done.

As others have said the diamond cut wheels are rubbish.

I fully expect to be back with my new car in a year or as soon as I've had a wheel off.
I would agree powder coated and painted would be the way forward, as it's only a matter of time diamond cuts will be problematic again.
Appreciate 1
DC7832.50