F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Any ideas how to "force" dealer to check turbo?
proTUNING Freaks

05-07-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Any ideas how to "force" dealer to check turbo?

Hey guys,

I've been getting this high pitched whine at low-rpm accelerating from my car recently. I've taken it to the dealership, they made me drive it out with them but the noise wouldn't show up. The noise keeps returning after ~1.5 hours of driving. Whether calm or spirited. Did a recent internet search and this guy described it perfectly as "s4 turbo making a whining noise like supercharger, whats wrong?
So I was informed by a guy that knew the previous owner of my car that the turbo was making a whining noise and sounded like a supercharger."

I am suffering from the same issue, any ideas to how I can get the dealer to check it out without resorting to me driving it, as murphy's law never works to my side.
      05-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
I had a turbo replaced under warranty for a similar issue. I noticed a different sound from the engine and described it as sounding like a supercharger whine. I made an appointment to have it diagnosed and as I was driving it to the dealer, the turbo was intermittently losing power, i.e. under acceleration the car would feel like it was almost impossible to get up to speed. They kept the car and said they heard the noise, didn't experience the power loss when driving but went ahead and did a turbo replacement.

My recommendation is to have your phone handy so you can record any abnormalities when they occur and show the Service Advisor when you bring it in. How many miles do you have?
      05-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaF30 View Post
I had a turbo replaced under warranty for a similar issue. I noticed a different sound from the engine and described it as sounding like a supercharger whine. I made an appointment to have it diagnosed and as I was driving it to the dealer, the turbo was intermittently losing power, i.e. under acceleration the car would feel like it was almost impossible to get up to speed. They kept the car and said they heard the noise, didn't experience the power loss when driving but went ahead and did a turbo replacement.

My recommendation is to have your phone handy so you can record any abnormalities when they occur and show the Service Advisor when you bring it in. How many miles do you have?
Almost 16k Miles.
      05-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
I had a whine that sounds exactly what you guys are talking about on my '12 328i. Turned out to be bad timing chain. It was covered under warranty. Not sure if your car has the same motor but I'd definitely look into it.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/bmw-n2...tes-1716844660
      05-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw
Hey guys,

I've been getting this high pitched whine at low-rpm accelerating from my car recently. I've taken it to the dealership, they made me drive it out with them but the noise wouldn't show up. The noise keeps returning after ~1.5 hours of driving. Whether calm or spirited. Did a recent internet search and this guy described it perfectly as "s4 turbo making a whining noise like supercharger, whats wrong?
So I was informed by a guy that knew the previous owner of my car that the turbo was making a whining noise and sounded like a supercharger."

I am suffering from the same issue, any ideas to how I can get the dealer to check it out without resorting to me driving it, as murphy's law never works to my side.
My guess is that it's a ripped DV. Causes boost leaks that can significantly limit power and also makes noises audible from the intake. If you can log boost with a JB4 or if you don't have a tune use a cheap OBD dongle and an app like dash command to measure boost. If boost doesn't reach stock targets you have concrete evidence for them to investigate further. Don't let a dealer brush off your issues, they often do in turbo related issues since it's a labor intensive job for them.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

bearings on turbo chargers r overrated.
Appreciate 0