F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Road bike advice
Studio RSR

03-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Road bike advice

Any guys on here know anything about road bikes?

With the gyms being closed I'm looking at getting out on a bike more, especially with the weather hopefully improving.

I've currently got a 6 year Boardman which is at the end of its life so I'm thinking of something new.

I'm more of a sportive type guy, going out on my own on rural roads doing 50-100km. Looking to spend around £2000-2500ish although hopefully this would be on O% finance.

Any recommendations guys?

And are Rutland Cycles any good? There's a couple near-ish to me.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

No bike recommendation as I have a Giant Revolt 2 cyclocross - lots of canal paths & soft-roader areas near me so it gives me more scope.

Rutland cycles are great, knowledgeable and good service. Check online for deals on previous year models and you can get decent savings.

If you pick up from their Rutland water branch you can test ride around there and go back in for any adjustments before leaving.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Is the Specialized Roubaix still one of the long distance comfort kings? That would have been my pick of carbons a few years back.

Can vouch for the long distance comfort of steel - I have a Genesis Equilibrium/ultegra disc which was a similar budget at list three years ago. £2k iirc, was a warranty replacement for a previous MY Equilibrium Stainless/105/rim that corroded lightly (which looked bad on stainless steel). Rejection/replacement a bit of a theme with me

Both Equilibriums were/are superb mile-eaters but the non-stainless current one has the edge. Very compliant. Longest day on either was over 180km under 100km is a breeze comfort-wise. Also feels like a frame that will last forever.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

I cycle a lot, like 100+ miles a week.

Rutland Cycles are good and they usually have some great deals on bikes.

It's important you think about the fit of the bike - how aggressive is your current bike? Do you get any discomfort over longer rides?

Also you need to choose between rim and disc brakes but to be honest unless your traditionalist and are dead against disc brakes on a road bike I would go disc over rim all day long.

I'm pretty up on specs, feel free to drop me a private message to discuss any particular bikes or deals you see.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

Chain Reaction and Wiggle stock their own branded Vitus range which I've found are fantastic value for the money. I run one as my winter bike and find it lighter and stiffer than my Giant TCR summer bike.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
Skwirrel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

With the gyms being closed I'm looking at getting out on a bike more, especially with the weather hopefully improving.

I've currently got a 6 year Boardman which is at the end of its life so I'm thinking of something new.

I'm more of a sportive type guy, going out on my own on rural roads doing 50-100km. Looking to spend around £2000-2500ish although hopefully this would be on O% finance.

Thanks.
Stick to one of the big three bike brands, Giant, Trek or Specialized and you can't go wrong, they all have more sportive models in their ranges. Rutland cycles are good but consider supporting your local bike shop too, they need all the help they can get. Any decent bike shop will offer finance and with your job ou probably also qualify for a workplace cycle to work scheme that you can often put towards a more expensive purchase.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Would the Cyclescheme be of benefit? Decent saving to be had on your £2.5k outlay (before budget creep of course)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

First thing to say is I have a soft spot for Treks, every since doing the LEJOG on a Lance Armstrong relica Trek 5500 - Still one of the best bikes I've ridden. I haven't actually been into road bike for a good 5 years+ now, but use to waste a stupid amount of time on bikes, almost as much time as on cars .

I've actually just been for a ride today on my near 10 year old Trek carbon frame road bike which I built up from used parts when I was much younger. The bike still rides great (cannot say the same for my 10 year older legs), and goes to show a half decent equipped pedal bike really does last the test of time well. 105 shifter/brakes, Ultegra mechs, Dura Ace wheels, not been used for nearly 3 years stored under a plastic drape in the shed, but a quick wipe down and everything still shifts/stops/works perfectly with no squeak/noise!!

This is my current main commuter bike, I've only had it since mid of Feb but have done 150 miles on it now, rain/wind/storm. It actually cost about the same as my road bike even though its from Halfords and not a big brand name!! The reason is because its partly electric !! It weighs 15kg nearly double that of the Trek, you do feel its weight (though in crosswinds that is a good thing) but when you hit a hill it zooms up versus slugging it out on the road bike .

Personally I have never hand an issues using the local Halfords, they are cheap, very quick, though the cycling snobs will look down on you if you even mention the H word.

At the end of the day it depends on what your after, even £1-1.5K will get you on a very nice carbon frame road bike with decent spec, upping the budget may not really change your riding experience much. For example the difference between 105 and DuraAce really isn't worth it for us amateur cyclist. Wheels sets do make a difference though, and worth spending extra on.

I would also suggest giving eBikes a look, your budget will get you into some nice machines, like the Orbea Gain. Boardman also do a drop bar version of the hybrid bike I commute on. The Riddle SLe is also a good looking bike. The electric motor doesn't turn the bike into a moped, but it does make headwind, steep climbs much more fun!!

Again the cycling community looks down on eBikes, but if it makes cycling more fun I don't really care, my legs will never be like they were when I was in my 20s so I welcome any extra help.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Gain-...aApFAEALw_wcB#

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/...-adv-8.9e.html

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribbl...IaAr6zEALw_wcB

If money wasn't a barrier I would love one of these.......Even though its not a Trek I do end up getting back into road cycling an electric road bike will almost certainly be my next bike purchase.

Last edited by gangzoom; 03-21-2020 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
JR16641146.50
      03-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

Thanks.
100% Trek Domane

The IsoSpeed decoupler is genius. State of U.K. roads I think you know, this smooths them out amazingly.

Honestly could not recommend highly enough. This bike is a more relaxed long range, so not as twitch or upright. For me getting back into it a while back comfort was paramount.

Trek are pricey but top quality and lifetime frame warranty. Honestly see if you can try one.

As for group set, I usually try for Ultegra as it's impeccable and you won't be needing Dura Ace, but 105 is allso flawless and TBF since the moves the cable routing of these internal also this is probably best value.

As other have said rim or disc brake up to you. For me if you are taking the wheels off for the car trips and maintaining yourself rim is easier.

However everything is disc now so this has more choice. DO NOT take a bike with mechanical/cable disc brakes. I had this once and rear brake strength is terrible. Must be hydraulic which again most discs are.

Sorry to rant, just passionate, or used to be about bikes.
      03-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #10
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
100% Trek Domane

The IsoSpeed decoupler is genius. State of U.K. roads I think you know, this smooths them out amazingly.

Honestly could not recommend highly enough. This bike is a more relaxed long range, so not as twitch or upright. For me getting back into it a while back comfort was paramount.
Do you own a Domane, the 2020 electric versions actually uses the Fazua Evation motor as in my current Boardman and I'm looking to see if they are compatible, if so I was going to try and source an Domane but without the motor/battery (£1K worth apparently), and than just swap the motor/battery pack between the Boardman and the Trek.

Cannot disagree about Trek quality, love their bikes. My 2013 Madonna still rides like a dream.

Last edited by gangzoom; 03-21-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      03-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Quote:
100% Trek Domane

Do you own a Domane, the 2020 electric versions actually uses the Fazua Evation motor as in my current Boardman and I'm looking to see if they are compatible, if so I was going to try and source an Domane but without the motor/battery (£1K worth apparently), and than just swap the motor/battery pack between the Boardman and the Trek.

Cannot disagree about Trek quality, love their bikes.
No sorry mine was sold a while back, was a 5.2 in red and white from the 1st year it was released.

I can't tot this day believe how well is dampened the ride without seemingly sapping leg drive. Goodness knows how good they are now, I see the Madone has had it for a few years too but I feel that isn't a Sportive/comfort bike and Domane was fast enough.

Also gangzoom no way do you also have an electric bike! I see a trend

Great taste in the Treks though sir, at 45mph downhill wearing 3mm Lycra (picture it chaps) I need faith in that bike like nothing else.
      03-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
330XDave
Major
Rep

Don't dismiss going down the second hand route either unless you really do need finance, you could get a top end bike from the last few years for £2k-£2.5k. This is my 6 year old Bianchi, it's high spec with a Campagnolo Super Record groupset but I'd be lucky to get £2.5k for it second hand.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
gangzoom1643.00
JustChris17426.00
JR16641146.50
      03-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #13
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

Another steel rider here, Genesis Volare 931 only finished building it after Christmas, but it rides so much nicer than the aluminium cube I had before.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #14
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

You could have a titanium framed Planet X bike for about £1799...
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      03-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #15
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Also gangzoom no way do you also have an electric bike! I see a trend
Yes I have a problem .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Don't dismiss going down the second hand route
Half of my bike gear/bikes have been 2nd hand, but am not sure traveling around the county to meet up with people and having a chat about bikes is a good idea at present?
Appreciate 2
JustChris17426.00
      03-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #16
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Literally just got in from a quick 40 miler.

Massive subject, best of luck but yes if you can get into Rutland cycles and explain your situation that would be a great start.

For your budget you should be looking at an ultegra groupset but I use 105 and cycle thousands of miles a year both here and abroad.105 is a sweetspot for price / performance, even Tiagra nowadays is pretty decent.

The disc thing is interesting, I've yet to buy into it simply due to the distances I do and the worry of some kind of mechanical that might befall me if I have an off somewhere remote (like rural Spain or up a mountain).

As you know getting the bike is just the start, pedals / new shoes / new gear / Lid or no lid / GPS etc etc..have fun

A couple of decent forums who can also help with a choice

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/

https://www.cyclechat.net/
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #17
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
100% Trek Domane
Oh you have opened a can of worms.......When Trek introduced their Project One options I was far too poor to even think about playing with the website, just built this up on Trek Website.

The scary thing is, when a Halfords eBike is £2k+, the sum Trek wants for this things doesn't make me fall off my chair .

Appreciate 2
JustChris17426.00
      03-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
100% Trek Domane
Oh you have opened a can of worms.......When Trek introduced their Project One options I was far too poor to even think about playing with the website, just built this up on Trek Website.

The scary thing is, when a Halfords eBike is £2k+, the sum Trek wants for this things doesn't make me fall off my chair .

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...75dd7c3c_b.jpg[/img]
That is fantastic

Had to search google images as if deleted all pics...here she is, looked after my coconuts for many a ride.
Attached Images

03-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #19
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
100% Trek Domane

Oof. That's a thing of beauty.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #20
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have a problem .

Half of my bike gear/bikes have been 2nd hand, but am not sure traveling around the county to meet up with people and having a chat about bikes is a good idea at present?
He'd probably meet one person as the chances are the one bike he'd go and see would be the one that he buys. Go in to a shop and he'd probably be meeting a lot more!

Unfortunately as the supermarket I manage serves 21k customers a week in a VERY tight space I'm not overly empathetic of those who may have to come in to contact with a handful of people and think they are the next super spreader.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #21
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Quote:
Yes I have a problem .

He'd probably meet one person as the chances are the one bike he'd go and see would be the one that he buys. Go in to a shop and he'd probably be meeting a lot more!

Unfortunately as the supermarket I manage serves 21k customers a week in a VERY tight space I'm not overly empathetic of those who may have to come in to contact with a handful of people and think they are the next super spreader.
How's your supply chain holding up? Fuckwit hoarders notwithstanding, what items are not coming through?

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #22
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
How's your supply chain holding up? Fuckwit hoarders notwithstanding, what items are not coming through?
Pasta, toilet rolls, flour, long life milk, chicken and eggs are the areas that are spending more time with every product off sale than on sale. And in my store toilet rolls and eggs are restricted and strictly enforced to 1 per customer, chicken 2 of any chicken products in total, pasta 2 and the rest 4, yet still not even close to keeping them available most of the time.

Soap also too unsurprisingly as well as any product that has the word "antibacterial" on it. Not see hand gel in for over 2 weeks now other than what they send for staff to use.
Appreciate 1