F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Best Performance per $$$ (Continental vs. Pirelli vs. Hankook vs. Firestone)
proTUNING Freaks

08-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
BAKKI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Best Performance per $$$ (Continental vs. Pirelli vs. Hankook vs. Firestone)

Sorry if this question has been beaten to death, and I know comparisons are already out there:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=190
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...earDiameter=19

My question is slightly more nuanced. I'm currently considering these 3 tires, ranked by performance:

1. Continental ExtremeContact Sport ($895)
2. Pirelli P Zero Nero GT ($785)
3. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 ($720)
4. Firestone Indy 500 ($607)

From a performance per dollar perspective I'm currently leaning towards the Pirellis, simply because I don't think I push my car hard enough to feel the marginal improvements of the top-tier UHPs. However, I also notice that the Continentals are rated at UTQG340 compared to the Pirellis UTQG280. I'm thinking that if the Continentals last longer by just 10% they make up the price difference, and based off rating it should be closer to 20%.

So my question is: am I thinking about this all wrong? I know the rating system isn't without flaws, but to me it seems like it's at least more objective than the treadwear customer reviews on Tirerack. If anyone has owned any of these bad boys I'd love your input.

Last edited by BAKKI; 08-28-2020 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #2
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
  [0.00]
Ok so funny enough, I've actually owned all 3 tires before. However, it wasn't the P Zero Nero, it was just the regular P Zero but it's close enough for me to give you some feedback.

Keep in mind this was not for the F3x platform but rather the Porsche Panamera 4S so take it for what it is.

The car originally came with Pirelli P Zero from factory and I was honestly not impressed with the handling characteristics. They were also very noisy and pretty harsh in terms of ride quality.

I then switched to the Continental ExtremeContact Sport. I prefer these over the Pirellis because of more compliant ride, but considering the tread wear is 340, they wear pretty damn fast. I'd say they're more along the lines of something with a 200 tread wear. Blew through that set in less than 10k miles.

Finally, I switched to Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2's because my local shop was having a sale and decided to try them out. Handling wise, I think these out performs the Pirelli by a small margin but behind the Continentals. Noise wise I think these are the quietest out of the 3. These also lasted the longest with the tread wear at 300. But I think these tires are the best bang for your buck.
2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
BAKKI18.50
      08-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
The AS version of the PZero Nero came on my GTI. Not sure how close the summer and AS version are besides a very similar tread pattern, but I was not impressed. It became EXTREMELY loud after about 50% wear. It gripped pretty well in the dry and didn't hydroplane in rain, but had very poor grip on wet pavement.

If you look at the ranking on TireRack the Continentals are ranked far higher than the other two options you're looking at. I'd suggest you read the reviews on all three if you haven't already.
      08-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

UTQG is only consistent across the manufacturer, not across brands.

E.g. you can compare a Pirelli 300 vs 550 UTQG rating, not against Bridgestone.

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-s...r-performance/
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
I've been looking at tires to go square... I keep going back to the Firestone Indy 500's..... for those who don't know... Firestone is owned by Bridgestone... you know the one's that make the RE-71 that actually has racing rubber in it...

Last edited by FastF30; 08-27-2020 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
BAKKI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff80m3 View Post
Ok so funny enough, I've actually owned all 3 tires before. However, it wasn't the P Zero Nero, it was just the regular P Zero but it's close enough for me to give you some feedback.

Keep in mind this was not for the F3x platform but rather the Porsche Panamera 4S so take it for what it is.

The car originally came with Pirelli P Zero from factory and I was honestly not impressed with the handling characteristics. They were also very noisy and pretty harsh in terms of ride quality.

I then switched to the Continental ExtremeContact Sport. I prefer these over the Pirellis because of more compliant ride, but considering the tread wear is 340, they wear pretty damn fast. I'd say they're more along the lines of something with a 200 tread wear. Blew through that set in less than 10k miles.

Finally, I switched to Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2's because my local shop was having a sale and decided to try them out. Handling wise, I think these out performs the Pirelli by a small margin but behind the Continentals. Noise wise I think these are the quietest out of the 3. These also lasted the longest with the tread wear at 300. But I think these tires are the best bang for your buck.
eff80m3 Super helpful, thank you!

From what I've heard, the Nero GTs are a good step up from the older P Zeros. But I think I'm leaning towards the Hankooks now, especially since they lasted the longest for you. I'm really surprised that the Conti Extreme Sports only lasted 10k miles though -- don't they have a 30k mile warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #7
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKKI View Post
eff80m3 Super helpful, thank you!

From what I've heard, the Nero GTs are a good step up from the older P Zeros. But I think I'm leaning towards the Hankooks now, especially since they lasted the longest for you. I'm really surprised that the Conti Extreme Sports only lasted 10k miles though -- don't they have a 30k mile warranty?
I've also heard the newer Pirelli tires got better like the Nero GT and the PZ4 due to a updated compound but I'm still scarred from the P Zero that I doubt I'll give Pirelli another chance.

Continental does offer a 30k mile warranty but that's only on the basis that you have a square set up and rotate the tires every so often. Gets slashed down to half if it's a staggered set up. Even with that, I assume it's going to take awhile to from start to finish with the warranty claim.

But I think you'll be contempt with the Hankook's for the price. It's not the best "looking" tire, (think that goes to Continental at least comparing it between these 3) but for the price of the Ventus V12 Evo's, can't go wrong.
2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I've been looking at tires to go square... I keep going back to the Firestone Indy 500's..... for those who don't know... Firestone is owned by Bridgestone... you know the one's that make the RE-71 that actually has racing rubber in it...
The run-flats the dealer put on my car during their CPO prep have mercifully worn out and the Firestones will most likely be what I put on the car in a couple weeks.

For the price and performance it's a real stand out. I autocross pretty regularly, so the price of the Michelins made them less appealing consider the abuse they would see and all the complaints of short lifespan knocked the Conti's off the list.
      08-31-2020, 03:41 PM   #9
Elderado82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

I run the Firestone Indy 500 on my 135i and love them. Currently modded with a MHD stage 2+ tune and they still grip off the line with very little to no wheel spin that is one area they shine. Another, is comfort for a hi performance tire they are very quiet and handle pot holes and bumps pretty well, I live in NE and we have pretty shit roads esp in the city. I have taken my car out twice to our local airport for some autocross and can tell you when you push them hard the lateral traction fades pretty quick but this is only under very harsh racing conditions. In the city or when doing some spiritual driving they are an amazing tire. I highly recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #10
BAKKI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderado82 View Post
I run the Firestone Indy 500 on my 135i and love them. Currently modded with a MHD stage 2+ tune and they still grip off the line with very little to no wheel spin that is one area they shine. Another, is comfort for a hi performance tire they are very quiet and handle pot holes and bumps pretty well, I live in NE and we have pretty shit roads esp in the city. I have taken my car out twice to our local airport for some autocross and can tell you when you push them hard the lateral traction fades pretty quick but this is only under very harsh racing conditions. In the city or when doing some spiritual driving they are an amazing tire. I highly recommend them.
Elderado82 That's great to hear -- I'm actually starting to lean towards the Firestones from all the good things I've heard. What size are you running? And how have they been wearing so far? One of the concerns I've heard is w/ tread life.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 07:51 AM   #11
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
As a word of warning, the Firestone's in their current form may not be around much longer.

I need new tires and tried to get a set for my 435 and ran into problems. Both Firestone Centers in my area had no problems getting the front tires, but neither could not get the 255/35/19's rears. Neither had them in stock and neither store was able to order them because their system was showing the tire as being "discontinued". Since no tire shop in my area keeps performance tires in stock, everything has be to ordered.

Tire Rack still carries them and I would have gone that way if it wasn't very difficult to get them mounted around here.
      10-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #12
Elderado82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKKI View Post
Elderado82 That's great to hear -- I'm actually starting to lean towards the Firestones from all the good things I've heard. What size are you running? And how have they been wearing so far? One of the concerns I've heard is w/ tread life.
225/40/18 and 255/35/18, wear has been great with no issues. Although, I only drive on them when it warms up as I live in NE during winter months I'm on Blizzaks. As for issues finding them if you do try looking into Bridgestone RE003s as they are the exact same tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:43 PM   #13
GeorgeDixon
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & M550i

I went from P Zeros to Indy 500’s on my M4 and honestly loved them. Traction was way better than I expected. For the price I don’t think they can be beat.
Appreciate 1
BAKKI18.50