F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Decent deal on the new M2?
Studio RSR

04-09-2024, 10:10 AM   #45
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Seems a solid deal as far as new cars go, but I’d be in the previous gen with some tasty mods, it will be a more entertaining and better looking car.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 1
G50956.00
      04-10-2024, 09:30 AM   #46
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj94 View Post
The only reason im talking about a £35k car is because thats how much money you lose on a 4 year deal on a 70k car in the example for this M2C

Just explaining whats in my head and why I have never explored these lease deals. I could buy a £35k car over 4 years with a manufacturers warranty at £600 a year? and that would be trouble free motoring. It just wouldn't be the latest model etc. I appreciate its different just interesting to see how other's man maths works.
I've never had a man maths head. Mainly because I'm rubbish at maths and don't have a financially astute mindset either, or car speculator crystal ball reading abilities.

I never buy cars as investments, or care about their future value unless it's something special. Cars are like relationships to me. I date one for X years, chop it then start dating another one. I just see it as disposable income. My non financial brain just sees it as an asset I own outright that I can move on at will without any finance entanglements, or modification restrictions.

I've not had a car loan since 1994, and that was for £4K over 3 years for an F reg Golf GTI 16V. I was earning a whopping £7K a year back then, and had a mortgage as well! They were the days.

So looking at all these current lease prices is frankly scary to me, especially the 4 figure ones!

But some days I just think, screw it, get an all inclusive deal through Tuskers at work for an easy life and a fresh steer every 3 years..... then I look at the monthlies
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 01:06 PM   #47
Danj94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
I've never had a man maths head. Mainly because I'm rubbish at maths and don't have a financially astute mindset either, or car speculator crystal ball reading abilities.

I never buy cars as investments, or care about their future value unless it's something special. Cars are like relationships to me. I date one for X years, chop it then start dating another one. I just see it as disposable income. My non financial brain just sees it as an asset I own outright that I can move on at will without any finance entanglements, or modification restrictions.

I've not had a car loan since 1994, and that was for £4K over 3 years for an F reg Golf GTI 16V. I was earning a whopping £7K a year back then, and had a mortgage as well! They were the days.

So looking at all these current lease prices is frankly scary to me, especially the 4 figure ones!

But some days I just think, screw it, get an all inclusive deal through Tuskers at work for an easy life and a fresh steer every 3 years..... then I look at the monthlies
Similar to me however I do use a bank loan for up to 50% of the cars value usually. my monthly on the 440i is £340 over 4 years and I own it at the end. The thought of paying double that and giving it back at the end is mad.

I agree though they're like relationships... I've probably just found a buyer for my 440i (dont want to jynx it) I've not doubt ill miss it to start with hopefully I dont regret it!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:07 PM   #48
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep
Drives: Fiat Stilo estate mapped

Anybody ordered yet? A couple of people on PH have it looks like!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:39 PM   #49
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan4 View Post
I’d be in the previous gen with some tasty mods, it will be a more entertaining and better looking car.
Yes lusty perfection..
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Danj94536.50
      04-11-2024, 01:58 AM   #50
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManor View Post
Anybody ordered yet? A couple of people on PH have it looks like!
I considered it.
However, it’s pig ugly. I’d also wager off the track the M240i is quicker in typical weathers and a nicer daily drive. Also cheaper. Guess it depends what you want as they are different cars and I’m probably bias.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 04:58 AM   #51
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I considered it.
However, it’s pig ugly. I’d also wager off the track the M240i is quicker in typical weathers and a nicer daily drive. Also cheaper. Guess it depends what you want as they are different cars and I’m probably bias.
I definitely think the M Performance versions that BMW are doing more of now are a better all round proposition when it comes to the balance between daily driving and having a bit of fun against what you pay for them...

I'd take an M340 over an M3, any day... I definietly wouldn't be thinking about the 1 second I had taken extra to get to 60 mph when I was thinking also about the £25k price difference... and the petrol I was saving.... and insurance...

My prefs, of course, and not knocking other folk who chose differently...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 2
Pentland1735.50
P-ToK72343.50
      04-11-2024, 08:55 AM   #52
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I considered it.
I wouldn’t say it’s pig ugly but I would say it’s very colour dependent, suiting darker colours IMO which would no doubt bump the price up.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 11:54 AM   #53
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

Another deal!

https://www.contractcars.com/product...dr-coupe-auto/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Wills28657.50
      04-13-2024, 03:27 AM   #54
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManor View Post
At that mileage that's got to be for people who just want to be seen with a new M car on the drive and aren't that interested in driving it, surely?

My weekend car will do more than 6000 miles a year, as that's only 115 miles a week. Daily will probably do 20k miles this year.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 04:16 AM   #55
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
At that mileage that's got to be for people who just want to be seen with a new M car on the drive and aren't that interested in driving it, surely?

My weekend car will do more than 6000 miles a year, as that's only 115 miles a week. Daily will probably do 20k miles this year.
some of us only use our cars at the weekend as we are forced to use trains in the week...

Mind my iPace is doing 1000 a month and the mini about 400 a month since I had it!

That age old issue - who wants to put 25k or 30k miles a year on a really nice car and kill the value, but what's the point of having a nice car if you never drive it!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 04:34 AM   #56
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
That age old issue - who wants to put 25k or 30k miles a year on a really nice car and kill the value, but what's the point of having a nice car if you never drive it!
Exactly, especially one that is designed for those who enjoy driving for the sake of driving, rather than those who like a nice place to be whilst they go wherever they need to go.

Good point about those not needing a car during the week though, if only the train network was that good up here!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 05:22 AM   #57
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, especially one that is designed for those who enjoy driving for the sake of driving, rather than those who like a nice place to be whilst they go wherever they need to go.

Good point about those not needing a car during the week though, if only the train network was that good up here!
Its not that good down here!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 05:49 AM   #58
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Similar to me however I do use a bank loan for up to 50% of the cars value usually. my monthly on the 440i is £340 over 4 years and I own it at the end. The thought of paying double that and giving it back at the end is mad.

I agree though they're like relationships... I've probably just found a buyer for my 440i (dont want to jynx it) I've not doubt ill miss it to start with hopefully I dont regret it!
That's not a bad shout actually. Saves clobbering all or most of the savings account! That's a nice low payment for a very decent car, well done

Ha, giving it back at the end, plus fines for dings and scratches, mileage excess and any other gotchas you didn't notice in the small print

It does work for some people though. My Mum's done it for 20 years.

You won't miss it. Each iteration of BMW (if that's what you're moving onto) is objectively better than the previous generation It's like Chris Harris was saying in his review of the new M2. Everyone bashed on it saying it's not a patch on the previous M2, but he said it drives a lot better
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 05:51 AM   #59
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Its not that good down here!
No, but I assume most people use it as it's quicker than driving due to congestion. Very few journeys between big towns up here are faster by train unless you live next to a station and only want to go to the next station down the line. This week I've been to Chesterfield, to Mansfield, to Market Drayton in Shropshire and to Stockport in south Manchester all starting in North Manchester and every single journey would have been twice as long by train.

The only place I can go to which is faster by train is London from central Manchester. Everywhere else takes much longer once you factor in getting to my closest train stations in either Rochdale or Manchester, finding parking, then walking to the train station, not to mention whether they're on time or not!

And of course, getting to the train station by public transport takes much longer than driving. The only bus that goes to Manchester from my town takes 55mins to do what is a 7.5mile journey by car, because it goes literally round the houses! It's laughable compared to continental Europe.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 07:35 AM   #60
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No, but I assume most people use it as it's quicker than driving due to congestion. Very few journeys between big towns up here are faster by train unless you live next to a station and only want to go to the next station down the line. This week I've been to Chesterfield, to Mansfield, to Market Drayton in Shropshire and to Stockport in south Manchester all starting in North Manchester and every single journey would have been twice as long by train.

The only place I can go to which is faster by train is London from central Manchester. Everywhere else takes much longer once you factor in getting to my closest train stations in either Rochdale or Manchester, finding parking, then walking to the train station, not to mention whether they're on time or not!

And of course, getting to the train station by public transport takes much longer than driving. The only bus that goes to Manchester from my town takes 55mins to do what is a 7.5mile journey by car, because it goes literally round the houses! It's laughable compared to continental Europe.
Yep, Chesterfield is / was home and I have worked in most of the cities of the north - including Manchester where I was forced to use the train, and even then I drove to Dore as it was quicker than getting it in Chesterfield and going into Sheffield and back out.

Down here, as I work in London its hobsons choice, crap train service at huge expense or drive and queue for hours and pay even more to park...

My train ticket is £27 a day and parking £9.... I could walk but the days are long enough and its a 20% hill to walk up coming home!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 02:11 AM   #61
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Quote:
By the way im by no means hating on leasing, it's your money you do what you like with it. A new car is appealing especially an M car, picking that up would be a very special day
Thing is though, for me, I would constantly feel like a really stupid guy for getting excited when picking up my £600pm lease car.
It would not be a special day, at all.
Each ounce of excitment would be countered by double the 'what the hell am I doing, borrowing this car for this amount of money?!?'

Last edited by M33DLO; 04-15-2024 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
Danj94536.50
      04-15-2024, 02:25 AM   #62
Danj94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33DLO View Post
Thing is though, for me, I would constantly feel like a really stupid guy for getting excited when picking up my £600pm lease car.
It would not be a special day, at all.
Each ounce of excitment would be countered by double the 'what the hell am I doing, borrowing this car for this amount of money?!?'
Haha true but I guess it depends what your disposable income is each month is like and to be honest if you bought one new for cash you'd lose more then £600 a month in depreciation for a considerable number of months I'd imagine.

Horses for courses right?! I can see how its appealing though get yourself in a 24 plate M2 for £500 a month.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 02:58 AM   #63
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Yep, Chesterfield is / was home and I have worked in most of the cities of the north - including Manchester where I was forced to use the train, and even then I drove to Dore as it was quicker than getting it in Chesterfield and going into Sheffield and back out.

Down here, as I work in London its hobsons choice, crap train service at huge expense or drive and queue for hours and pay even more to park...

My train ticket is £27 a day and parking £9.... I could walk but the days are long enough and its a 20% hill to walk up coming home!
I feel the same pain. £26.20 a day ticket, £9 a day parking. 5 days a week :-(
Appreciate 0