F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > SIRIUS XM RADIO Premium Package - What Are You Paying?
GetBMWParts

10-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #23
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Sirius has RIDICULOUS business practices that need to be reported to the BBB.
I'm filing a complaint.

After my initial "free from BMW" service expired I called Sirius and got their "select service" at $89 per year plus fees, which came to around $108.
Ok, fine.
I don't listen to anything other than about 10 music channels that are in their music only package.

I've renewed that package twice.
My current subscription expires 9/27/17, a few days ago.
I called in August to see what price I could get and the rep EVENTUALLY said that I could renew at the same rate I was paying for the same service.
He said he would put that price in my account "notes".
He didn't.

My subscription expired a few days ago.
Today, I called the 888.601.6302 number and a rep answered. He was a pleasant guy, mild mannered and very polite. I'll give him credit on that.
I told him that I would be willing to renew for the same amount I paid last year, which is $89 plus fees and taxes, total around $108.
He tells me that he can't do that, because that offer is now $99 plus taxes and fees.
And of course, no "note" in my account of the offer.
It's only about $11 more with taxes and fees, but that's not really the point.

I tell him that many customers are only paying $30 plus fees for 6 months, which is less than what I am willing to pay for a whole year at $89 plus fees.
So, he offers me 6 months for $30 plus fees.

I then ask him why in the world would he offer me a lower price when I just offered him a higher price? Of course I already knew the answer. The reason is because of the "AUTO renew" at 6 months, which is $16.23 per month including fees/taxes. That comes to 16.23*9 = $97.38 for next 6 months, and all the next, IF you don't call and complain or cancel.
Add that $97.23 to the "special offer" of $30 plus fees/taxes, $36.49 and the yearly cost is $133.87.
Ah, that's more than my "higher" offer for the year.

I asked him why not just give me two 6 months specials and I'll pay for a whole year. OH NO. That's not how Sirius works. The rep tells me that I can call in before my 6 months expiration and ask to renew again at the $30 rate.

Sirius wants people to call in in order to give their lower "promotional" pricing that includes AUTO renewal. That is done in the hope that the subscriber will forget to call in and then Sirius will automatically charge the full price.
So, basically Sirius's business model is to constantly engage in BS monkey business and call in every 5 months at 29 days, or right before a yearly renewal.

The rep was pleasant as I said, but he of course couldn't say anything about the obvious BS that Sirius engages in. So, I asked to speak to a supervisor to get more "clarification". Guess what? Of course the rep was polite and said he would "find one". LOL! Ok. He comes back about 3 minutes later telling me that the supervisors are busy because there are a LOT of calls.
OF COURSE there are a lot of calls because Sirius creates this f'ing circus that makes their customers jump through phone hoops to get better pricing, which YOU CAN get only if you're willing to play their games.
Why did he offer you a lower price than you were willing to pay? It's pretty simple--the reps are cogs in a machine with a set script and set parameters of what they can agree to. You want 12 months at $60 instead of 6 months at $30--nope; we can't do that; we don't have a button that allows us that option. They have a defined set of deals that they can offer, and they can't be modified.

To me, it's like mail-in rebates. It's worth it for SXM to force customers to have to call back to re-negotiate their rates because not all of them will do it. Just like a good percentage of customers won't will out the paperwork for a mail-in rebate, or if the rebate is incorrectly rejected, many won't follow up to get it fixed. If they used "up front" pricing, everyone would get the best deal, and it would hurt revenues. Comcast does the exact same thing--except I've gotten them to a place where I only have to call them every 2 years.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83722.00
      10-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #24
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin4 View Post
$25 for 5 months.
Wait till it runs out and you'll receive discounted invitations.
Been doing this for the past 5 years.
this. always

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #25
PennSt8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i, 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
Whenever renewal time arrives I simply call in for the latest promotional pricing, requesting that they mail an invoice. That way, they don't have a card on file should I forget to call and re-up at the lower price.
      10-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #26
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

They just sent me a “6 month / $30” offer. So that is the best rate, if you want it that’s what I would tell them I’d pay, and not a 1¢ more.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #27
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

they sent me the same thing but for 'select' not 'premium' which is howard, so I was going to tell them 6 months for $30 to include howard 100/101 or I'm done.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #28
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
they sent me the same thing but for 'select' not 'premium' which is howard, so I was going to tell them 6 months for $30 to include howard 100/101 or I'm done.
I pay $30 for 6 months for Sirius Select, which includes Howard.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #29
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
so the guy I talked to didn't even know what he was talking about. He said select does not include. Good to know thanks

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #30
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Jesus christ, unbelievable. So I just got off the phone with this guy with the conversation ending with "sir please stop laughing as I am explaining this to you because it is very rude". I was told that some cars have 'sirius radios' and some have an 'xm radio' in my car and that in order to get howard, the only way I can get it, I have to get the all access package, which is $10 for 6 months at which point it goes up to $24.99 a month + taxes and fees. So either you guys are all making up these magical deals you are getting or I am just striking out. He said "why are you laughing?" Me: "I am laughing because the content is ridiculously overpriced and $24.99 + taxes and fees is more than I pay for Apple music and Netflix combined and no one on earth wants to pay $28 a month to listen to Howard Stern talk about the size of Robyn's jugs or the 1940s station so they can hear the best of Glen Miller and Benny Goodman in the middle of nowhere, with no cell service.

* EDIT -
Called back again and a guy told me its $120 a year plus taxes and fees so like $140 for a year of howard stern. I honestly don't know if its worth it. Is that a lot of money? No. But it doesn't seem worth it. On the other hand, I get sick of fiddling with my phone and having hit and miss reception where podcasts don't work etc. Ah man who knows

The other approach is this... I pay the $50 + tax and fees for the All Access package for 6 months and I examine if it feels 'worth it' during that time and if it does, I still call to say Im gonna cancel and likely get another 6 mos for the same price, or I just cancel it. Thoughts?

Yes, I drive an overpriced sub $50k car and I'm haggling over $10 a month. So what? I'm cheap. This is not news. 2 kids, 2 daycare/preschool bills, SoCal expenses - I'll take it where I can get it.

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 10-05-2017 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
tex26702411.00
jeffc83722.00
      10-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #31
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
I'm on the $25 for 5 month Select program. I never listen to Howard but he's available.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 06:35 AM   #32
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so the guy I talked to didn't even know what he was talking about. He said select does not include. Good to know thanks
The packages are different depending on whether you have Sirius or SiriusXM or XM. It's bizarre.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #33
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The packages are different depending on whether you have Sirius or SiriusXM or XM. It's bizarre.
Yeah, thats what they told me. Because my radio is XM, I have to get the all access package. Really on the fence about this one.. Think I'll do 6 months paid, see how I still feel about it and go from there. The $60 experiment. See how much I like it when I know Im paying for it. It is basically absurd considering I buy a $10 12 pk of Coors Light like nothing, but again.. Priorities

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #34
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Why did he offer you a lower price than you were willing to pay? It's pretty simple--the reps are cogs in a machine with a set script and set parameters of what they can agree to. You want 12 months at $60 instead of 6 months at $30--nope; we can't do that; we don't have a button that allows us that option. They have a defined set of deals that they can offer, and they can't be modified.

To me, it's like mail-in rebates. It's worth it for SXM to force customers to have to call back to re-negotiate their rates because not all of them will do it. Just like a good percentage of customers won't will out the paperwork for a mail-in rebate, or if the rebate is incorrectly rejected, many won't follow up to get it fixed. If they used "up front" pricing, everyone would get the best deal, and it would hurt revenues. Comcast does the exact same thing--except I've gotten them to a place where I only have to call them every 2 years.
Oh yes, I know those things all too well.
Sirius phone reps, who mostly are not in the US, can't do anything about adjusting pricing unless it is a predetermined and set offer.
That is a poor business decision on Sirius's part, imo.

Yes, it's all programmed response, and it's one that hurts Sirius's reputation with it's customers.
Their sales and customer service have no agility or flexibility to address and correct an issue, to help increase customer confidence and satisfaction thus ensuring continued subscription without the constant need to employ an army of offshore reps to play "nicey nice" on the phone with angry customers.
Seems that either that method works for Sirius, or they don't care to improve their business and take a different approach.
This is problem with allowing monopolization and strictly limiting or removing a true "free market".
In the cable industry Xfinity controls it because our legislators allowed that monopoly to happen. There is lateral competition, but nothing yet that is a direct competitor, and that allows Xfinity to continue to charge crazy pricing for TV and internet services.
But, that's a different topic, I digress.

Unfortunately, BMW's radio reception is piss poor that I need to have a radio service in order to get a "live" radio broadcast.
The radio reception my last 3 BMW's has been extremely awful, and every time their tech's "look into it", I get the standard, "no problem found" or "normal operation".

Still, no matter how one looks at it Sirius's business practices SUCK from my customer point of view.
I am looking at other options, and when I find the one that works better for me Sirius is GONE.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #35
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Jesus christ, unbelievable. So I just got off the phone with this guy with the conversation ending with "sir please stop laughing as I am explaining this to you because it is very rude". I was told that some cars have 'sirius radios' and some have an 'xm radio' in my car and that in order to get howard, the only way I can get it, I have to get the all access package, which is $10 for 6 months at which point it goes up to $24.99 a month + taxes and fees. So either you guys are all making up these magical deals you are getting or I am just striking out. He said "why are you laughing?" Me: "I am laughing because the content is ridiculously overpriced and $24.99 + taxes and fees is more than I pay for Apple music and Netflix combined and no one on earth wants to pay $28 a month to listen to Howard Stern talk about the size of Robyn's jugs or the 1940s station so they can hear the best of Glen Miller and Benny Goodman in the middle of nowhere, with no cell service.

* EDIT -
Called back again and a guy told me its $120 a year plus taxes and fees so like $140 for a year of howard stern. I honestly don't know if its worth it. Is that a lot of money? No. But it doesn't seem worth it. On the other hand, I get sick of fiddling with my phone and having hit and miss reception where podcasts don't work etc. Ah man who knows

The other approach is this... I pay the $50 + tax and fees for the All Access package for 6 months and I examine if it feels 'worth it' during that time and if it does, I still call to say Im gonna cancel and likely get another 6 mos for the same price, or I just cancel it. Thoughts?

Yes, I drive an overpriced sub $50k car and I'm haggling over $10 a month. So what? I'm cheap. This is not news. 2 kids, 2 daycare/preschool bills, SoCal expenses - I'll take it where I can get it.
If you are in the US, then call Sirius and tell them you want the 6 month special for $30 plus fees and taxes. You will get Howard in that package don't worry about it.
It is an "auto renew" offer, meaning the renew at the end of 6 months will be crazy high and ridiculous. You have to call in before the end of the 6 months and ask for another "offer".

One poster writes that he requests a mailed bill so that Sirius does not have a CC number on file to auto renew.
With a CC you could tell you CC company to not auto renew with Sirius.

Yeah, is BS game playing, and that is why Sirius SUCKS.

It doesn't matter who pricey our cars are, I agree that that doesn't then mean we are just suckers willing to pay too much for a product/service that is NOT worth how much their regular pricing is.

Again, I'm in the US, so I don't know if you are not in the US and thus there is something different for you with Sirius.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #36
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, thats what they told me. Because my radio is XM, I have to get the all access package. Really on the fence about this one.. Think I'll do 6 months paid, see how I still feel about it and go from there. The $60 experiment. See how much I like it when I know Im paying for it. It is basically absurd considering I buy a $10 12 pk of Coors Light like nothing, but again.. Priorities
Sirius select is a car audio package that includes Howard.

Sirius and XM merged a number of years ago, and even though they were granted this new monopoly, it seems they still offer some separation of programming among and between them.
Quite stupid really.

This merger for monopoly should NEVER have been granted, but then no one asked me before it was approved.

Sirius Select works just fine in our cars and it includes Howard.
Go get your deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #37
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Im on the train with the other guys. Since mine has gone out ive been getting countless letters to renew it. Hell i even have one at my desk at work lol

$25 for 5 months and waved activation WITH online streaming.

It all starts with 1 letter, then next next next lol. Theyll even "threaten" you with the whole "Last attempt" . I got one the following months.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #38
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sirius select is a car audio package that includes Howard.

Sirius and XM merged a number of years ago, and even though they were granted this new monopoly, it seems they still offer some separation of programming among and between them.
Quite stupid really.

This merger for monopoly should NEVER have been granted, but then no one asked me before it was approved.

Sirius Select works just fine in our cars and it includes Howard.
Go get your deal.
Everyone I have talked to at Sirius says that Select does not include Howard and that I have to get 'all access' to get howard since I have an XM radio in my car. This has been 4 people so far, told me the same thing. Last deal I got offered was $120 + taxes and fees for a year. I want to do another 6 mo promo thing but no one has been willing to help. Just constantly talking to Indians with totally made up American names... like dealing with robots.

It runs out 10/16. So what did someone say that if you let it run out, you get more offers for less?

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #39
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i MSport 6mt

I just signed up for the 6 month $30 deal last week. Has howard stern, not that I'll listen to him.
      10-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #40
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkles View Post
I just signed up for the 6 month $30 deal last week. Has howard stern, not that I'll listen to him.
Yeah, apparently the older BMWs have the sirius radio and the newer ones have the XM radio. Maybe BS, maybe not, who knows. $30 for 6 month is a solid price for what you actually get. Brings to mind the old Springsteen line "57 channels and nothin' on."

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #41
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you are in the US, then call Sirius and tell them you want the 6 month special for $30 plus fees and taxes. You will get Howard in that package don't worry about it.
It is an "auto renew" offer, meaning the renew at the end of 6 months will be crazy high and ridiculous. You have to call in before the end of the 6 months and ask for another "offer".

One poster writes that he requests a mailed bill so that Sirius does not have a CC number on file to auto renew.
With a CC you could tell you CC company to not auto renew with Sirius.

Yeah, is BS game playing, and that is why Sirius SUCKS.

It doesn't matter who pricey our cars are, I agree that that doesn't then mean we are just suckers willing to pay too much for a product/service that is NOT worth how much their regular pricing is.

Again, I'm in the US, so I don't know if you are not in the US and thus there is something different for you with Sirius.
What he is saying is that the Sirius deals/packages are not the same as the SiriusXM deals/packages. Sirius Select has Howard 100, which you can get for $30/6 mos. He has SiriusXM (or just XM), which does not have that deal/pkg.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #42
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, apparently the older BMWs have the sirius radio and the newer ones have the XM radio. Maybe BS, maybe not, who knows. $30 for 6 month is a solid price for what you actually get. Brings to mind the old Springsteen line "57 channels and nothin' on."
I don't think it's BS. My wife's car has Sirius too, and when I first signed up, I put them thru the ringer on why they couldn't get my MLB games as part of my package, when I was looking at the website and it clearly showed MLB games for lower level XM packages.

I just don't get why 5 years later this hasn't all been streamlined into one channel lineup and package offering for all platforms.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #43
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

They called me today as its expiring today and they offered me 6 months @ $50 + Tax for all access so I took it. I figure Howard 100/101, BBC, Lithium, Classic Vinyl, XMU and the ability to always have something to listen to if WiFi is spotty or I don't feel like getting some podcast going, is worth $10 a month.

Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      12-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #44
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Current Sirius Select promotion: $30 for 6 months or $60 for 12 months. The 12-month promo is a rarity; I can always get them to agree to the 6-month promo, even if it is not advertised. And they will credit your prorated subscription fee of your remaining term, so if you want to call and re-negotiate fewer times this year, it's worth calling now.
Appreciate 0