F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Question on navigation system
ARMA SPEED

04-24-2024, 08:53 AM   #1
MtBMW73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Question on navigation system

I have a 2020 F32, relatively new to me (bought in December). It has a navigation system as well as Apple Carplay.

This is my first car with a built-in nav system. I've always used Google Maps on my phone for directions. One of the nice features of Google Maps is that it will take traffic into account and if, during my trip, it finds a faster route based on changing traffic conditions, it will ask me if I want to switch to the faster route (which I almost always do).

My question is if the native BMW nav system will do the same. I know it has a traffic feature. Does the system take this into account, and if it finds a faster route during my trip, will it present this as an option?

Basically I am wondering if it is worthwhile to use the BMW nav or just stick with Google Maps (displayed on the monitor through Carplay). I do like that the heads-up display show directions during my trip when using the BMW nav.

Thoughts/opinions appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 10:14 AM   #2
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

i like the BMW navigation system, specifically because it utilizes HUD, but I've also had issues with CarPlay and it being buggy. as long as you have an active ConnectedDrive subscription which downloads RTTI (the traffic data), the navigation will route you and re-route you based on traffic data. I haven't found it to be any worse than Google Maps in terms of directions and routes.
Appreciate 0