F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > M Performance exhaust from BMW?
Studio RSR

04-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

M Performance exhaust from BMW?

Hello guys,

I was speaking with my stealer today about getting the M Performance exhaust supplied and installed prior to collecting my new car.

They tell me it is not ADR approved so they won't supply or install?

Can anyone please confirm this is so?

I understand I can but it myself and have it installed I was looking to have it included in the lease though.

Thanks in advance.

H
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Hello guys,

I was speaking with my stealer today about getting the M Performance exhaust supplied and installed prior to collecting my new car.

I understand I can but it myself and have it installed I was looking to have it included in the lease though.

Thanks in advance.

H
Yes from my experience this is true. They wont provide the exhaust but 'may' install it. All depends on your relationship with the department.

Mine wouldnt install non AUS purchased parts.

Just buy from overseas and get it installed by any mechanic. Dont bother getting it done by a bmw specific mechanic as its an easy job.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks in advance.

H
What does ADR mean? It's available in NZ and I got I fitted when I purchased the car. From memory cost about $1100 installed.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

ADR stands for Australian Design Rule.

My undersatnding is that if something has not been approved with the ADR then it cannot "legally" be put onto the car, especially by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
ADR stands for Australian Design Rule.

My undersatnding is that if something has not been approved with the ADR then it cannot "legally" be put onto the car, especially by the dealer.
Wow, sounds like pretty heavy handed legislation to me, it's just an exhaust system. We have rules for noise levels etc in NZ, but this exhaust system easily complies.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks in advance.

H
Yeah the BMW Performance exhaust is not ADR standard. If u r thinking of buying one, I am sure Stuart @ BMRAutowerkes over at the E90 forums could help you out. He's a great bloke, and very helpful.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
What does ADR mean? It's available in NZ and I got I fitted when I purchased the car. From memory cost about $1100 installed.
Australian Design Rules.. and its not about whether the exhaust meets ADR, its about whether BMW Aust can be bothered meeting the testing / compliance requirements (time and effort). Given the number of exhausts that they will sell Vs the revenue they will achieve in selling said exhausts, its no surprise that they (as is the case with many dealers / importers) will not bother

Not to dis-similar to the reason why we will never see the RS3.. Audi would have to write off 3-4 cars just to get it past the AU crash testing and ADR mandates.. thats a lot to write off of a limited production car thats in huge demand globally. the thing that gets me is we (AU) think that our safety standards are better than that of say the UK, or Germany! FFS if its compliant in Germany where you can (and do) often exceed 200km/h on long runs (legally), it will do us nicely.

My favorite example, as a cyclist is helmets. If I buy a helmet from the UK, it doesn't come with an ADR tag/certification and therefore I can not race competitively with it on. The EXACT same helmet in Australia, WITH an ADR sticker, costs over 40% more (but is obviously at least 40% safer!) So, people in AU tend to ride with crappier helmets as the cost is higher