F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BOV with the electronic wastegate?
ARMA SPEED

01-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
JaxD
Probably fixing some broken shit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

Question BOV with the electronic wastegate?

So I recently did some mods to my 2013 328i xdrive. I installed an injen intake and put in a cts blow off valve. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-part...ctsbv0015~cts/ the installation went perfectly except for 1 error. Basically, the instructions show it being installed on a n20 with the mechanical wastegate. My bov is set up exactly like the diagram below however I couldn't find any vacuum lines like on an n20 with a mechanical wastegate! Does anyone know where the vacuum lines on the n20 are routed with the electronic wastegate or if there even are any? I haven't had much luck online or digging around the engine but I've been pressed for time so I may have missed something. Currently instead of running the vacuum line from the solenoid to a vacuum tee its running into my intake. I added a link for videos if anyone's interested in sound. https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjErfy1ZHxbyQWF79
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxD View Post
So I recently did some mods to my 2013 328i xdrive. I installed an injen intake and put in a cts blow off valve. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-part...ctsbv0015~cts/ the installation went perfectly except for 1 error. Basically, the instructions show it being installed on a n20 with the mechanical wastegate. My bov is set up exactly like the diagram below however I couldn't find any vacuum lines like on an n20 with a mechanical wastegate! Does anyone know where the vacuum lines on the n20 are routed with the electronic wastegate or if there even are any? I haven't had much luck online or digging around the engine but I've been pressed for time so I may have missed something. Currently instead of running the vacuum line from the solenoid to a vacuum tee its running into my intake. I added a link for videos if anyone's interested in sound. https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjErfy1ZHxbyQWF79
Being that the WG is electronic, I would think that there are no vacuum lines.

However, I'm more interested in that BOV... Is it atmospheric, like it just dumps out, or is it actually a diverter valve that recycles the charged air back into the system?
      01-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
JaxD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Being that the WG is electronic, I would think that there are no vacuum lines.

However, I'm more interested in that BOV... Is it atmospheric, like it just dumps out, or is it actually a diverter valve that recycles the charged air back into the system?
Its an atmospheric which is why I ran the solenoid to the intake until I figure it all out. The kit came with an "adapter" so the electrical line that ran into the stock bov now runs into the solenoid sensor.
EDIT: The check engine error code I get when I scanned was P127E.

Last edited by JaxD; 01-11-2019 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #4
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its an atmospheric which is why I ran the solenoid to the intake until I figure it all out. The kit came with an "adapter" so the electrical line that ran into the stock bov now runs into the solenoid sensor.
EDIT: The check engine error code I get when I scanned was P127E.
Gotcha.. are you having any drivability problems? I feel like, in conjunction with running the solenoid off the intake, running an atmospheric blow-off rather than a DV, as long as you aren't pushing north of 400whp, would be a detriment to performance, as the system expects that air to be recirculated, but you're just dumping it.
      01-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
JaxD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Gotcha.. are you having any drivability problems? I feel like, in conjunction with running the solenoid off the intake, running an atmospheric blow-off rather than a DV, as long as you aren't pushing north of 400whp, would be a detriment to performance, as the system expects that air to be recirculated, but you're just dumping it.
Haven't had any performance issues, driving feels the same as when I first put the intake on. I don't mind the code so long as I know I'm not causing excessive damage to the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haven't had any performance issues, driving feels the same as when I first put the intake on. I don't mind the code so long as I know I'm not causing excessive damage to the turbo.
You're not damaging the turbo, but you're lessening the efficiency, performance wise, of the whole system, but probably not by that much.
      05-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #7
tsbrandon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
I'm having the same problem could you tell me what exactly you did to get it to work? I can't figure out where to put the vacuum lines.
Appreciate 0