F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > [VIDEO] BMW 435i F32 Noise Under Armrest - under hard acceleration
Extreme Powerhouse

01-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

[VIDEO] BMW 435i F32 Noise Under Armrest - under hard acceleration

hi guys - I have a strange noise which sounds like it's coming from right under the armrest area.

It happens under hard acceleration at low speeds, so from standing or up to around 25/30mph - after that I have rarely noticed it. It sounds like a creaking sound but no idea what it could be.

I set my phone to video and placed it in the armrest, has any experienced a similar noise?

thanks

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 03:34 AM   #2
sunqichang
Rep
Drives: f30 328im

Hi James,
I got this sound too under similar condition, hard acceleration, mine is 2015 328i. I am wondering if you had resolved this issue and what is the cause?

Thanks,
Sun
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Don't know of the OP sorted their problem but the only thing that might move under the arm rest is the prop shaft - maybe something has come loose and is making contact with it. Are you able to get underneath and have a look?
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
sunqichang
Rep
Drives: f30 328im

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
Don't know of the OP sorted their problem but the only thing that might move under the arm rest is the prop shaft - maybe something has come loose and is making contact with it. Are you able to get underneath and have a look?
Hello Thescouselander,
Thanks for you follow up, I will find a time to check this. And will be back with the result.

Kind regards,
Sun
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
trevkdr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespheely View Post
hi guys - I have a strange noise which sounds like it's coming from right under the armrest area.

It happens under hard acceleration at low speeds, so from standing or up to around 25/30mph - after that I have rarely noticed it. It sounds like a creaking sound but no idea what it could be.

I set my phone to video and placed it in the armrest, has any experienced a similar noise?
Any idea what it is? I had a brief look under the car thinking it might be the heat shield but it didn't look like anything was run over or affected.

I just came across this post saying it might be a e-brake mount: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1553425

Let me know if anyone can confirm, thx
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevkdr View Post
Quote:

Any idea what it is? I had a brief look under the car thinking it might be the heat shield but it didn't look like anything was run over or affected.

I just came across this post saying it might be a e-brake mount: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1553425

Let me know if anyone can confirm, thx
Its the left or right ebrake mount. Had the same issue.

Weird Rattle Noise Coming From Undercarriage https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1628225

If you have any exhaust modifications just tell bmw the noise happened before the mod. Your advisor may not care but i was asked.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
EastNashMike
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30, 2014

Quote:

thanks

Why did you end up doing for a fix? I’m having a similar issue and yes my ebrake cable plastic clips are broken.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #8
B15hop
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i Gran Coupe XDr

Fix for rattling noise likely.

This sounds like when the brake cable clip which runs under the car breaks and rattles against the drive shaft. I dealt with this before personally in my car.

There is an easy $10 fix for this if you can get under the car. Look to the rear of the car, between the heat shield and the body. You will see a black cable that runs from the rear tires to the front of the car, along the center. Shake that cable with your hand. It will likely make noise if you're hearing that rattling noise.

Anyway. Just buy some thick tie tags and strap it tightly up against the frame of the car to anywhere you can strap it. Up, not down, meaning up toward the sky.
That will stop it from rattling against the drive shaft and is probably just as good as paying $250-$700 dollars that someone will charge you to drop your drive shaft, exhaust and replace the cheap, garbage $10 clip that broke which was holding your brake cable in place.
Literally 10 mins of work and $5 bucks in tie straps. Strap it in a few places if you can.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0