F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > '16 435i Xdrive Gran Coupe w/Adaptive suspension
GetBMWParts

04-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
1slowm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Jahre

'16 435i Xdrive Gran Coupe w/Adaptive suspension

I current have a 2016 435i Xdrive equipped with the EDC (adaptive suspension). I’m looking to lower my car and get rid of the 4x4 look that the xdrive gives the car. I’m running a somewhat aggressive wheel/tire setup: 20x9 +35 with 245/30/r20 90y in the front, 20x10.5 +45 with 275/30/r20 97y in the rear. The roads around me are pretty terrible, and I’m also not looking for a ‘slammed’ look. I would like to lower maybe 1.25” front & rear. I definitely do not want to experience any rubbing issues or fender rolling...

So far I have found a few options:
• KW V1
• Bilistein B14
• H&R sport springs

Right now I’m leaning towards either the B14’s or the H&R springs, however I’m unsure what I will need to allow the adaptive suspension to function properly with a lowered vehicle.
Also, this is a leased vehicle, and I don’t want to dump tons of money into a suspension upgrade when I’ll be ending my lease in roughly 2 years from now.

I appreciate any/all input, as I’m not too well versed in the suspension topic.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

I went with a combination of H&R Sports and DINAN Shockware (for better EDC programming after lowering). Dropped ~1.1" average all around. Very happy with the setup.

If you intend on tracking your car, KWs or Bilstein would be ideal. For street setup the H&Rs are great.

This is my '16 F36 435xi GC a few days after lowering. It settled a bit more a week later.

More info here...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1357851

Last edited by Rick Hunter; 04-29-2017 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
1slowm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
I went with a combination of H&R Sports and DINAN Shockware (for better EDC programming after lowering). Dropped ~1.1" average all around. Very happy with the setup.

If you intend on tracking your car, KWs or Bilstein would be ideal. For street setup the H&Rs are great.

This is my '16 F36 435xi GC a few days after lowering. It settled a bit more a week later.
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/614/33...fa0bd3d2_b.jpg[/img]

More info here...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1357851
Thanks so much for the followup. Looks great on your f36!
Is the Dinan Shockware required, or can you still run the EDC with just the sport springs?
Do you notice a more 'rough' ride with the H&R springs vs stock?
I think this is what i'm leaning towards. I appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

Happy to help!

DINAN Shockware not needed but for the price is worth every penny. You can find a lot of threads on the forum discussing this.

Jury's out on requiring shortened bumpstops with lowered setup but if they're already replacing your springs/suspension, then there's no extra labor required to swap out the bumpstops.

Camber plates are a good idea if you want ultimate control of your settings but it's not necessary. I threw them in for the same reason as the bumpstops... your suspension is already out... might as well save on future labor costs.

As far as ride quality, the H&Rs feel somewhat similar to stock. I didn't like comfort mode as much as it felt a touch bouncier (?) but Shockware fixed that, and improved Sport mode even more. Again, no regrets! I'm so happy with the current setup and it suits my needs along with the wifey's (which is the real test).
      04-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
1slowm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Happy to help!

DINAN Shockware not needed but for the price is worth every penny. You can find a lot of threads on the forum discussing this.

Jury's out on requiring shortened bumpstops with lowered setup but if they're already replacing your springs/suspension, then there's no extra labor required to swap out the bumpstops.

Camber plates are a good idea if you want ultimate control of your settings but it's not necessary. I threw them in for the same reason as the bumpstops... your suspension is already out... might as well save on future labor costs.

As far as ride quality, the H&Rs feel somewhat similar to stock. I didn't like comfort mode as much as it felt a touch bouncier (?) but Shockware fixed that, and improved Sport mode even more. Again, no regrets! I'm so happy with the current setup and it suits my needs along with the wifey's (which is the real test).
Once again, I appreciate your help and advice!
I’m thinking of mirroring your setup as it looks and sounds like it’s a really good choice.

Since you seem very well versed in the suspension topic, I had another question if you don’t mind me asking.
If I did decide to go with the Bilstein B14’s I was wondering that since I have EDC will I need any module of any sort? I’m worried that if I ordered the B14’s they would fit just fine, however I’d have to have the EDC coded off or plugged into another system? I have asked several local shops, however they either don’t know, or haven’t responded yet. Kind of worrisome, and I probably will be avoiding these shops for the install of whatever system I decide to go with.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droz_f36 View Post
Quote:
Happy to help!

Once again, I appreciate your help and advice!
I’m thinking of mirroring your setup as it looks and sounds like it’s a really good choice.

Since you seem very well versed in the suspension topic, I had another question if you don’t mind me asking.
If I did decide to go with the Bilstein B14’s I was wondering that since I have EDC will I need any module of any sort? I’m worried that if I ordered the B14’s they would fit just fine, however I’d have to have the EDC coded off or plugged into another system? I have asked several local shops, however they either don’t know, or haven’t responded yet. Kind of worrisome, and I probably will be avoiding these shops for the install of whatever system I decide to go with.

Thanks!
Choosing the suspension that matches your purposes is very important. My setup works well for me (since I'm only interested in moderate lowering and a more aggressive street setup; I have another car for the track) but may not be ideal for someone who wants more out of their setup.

If you plan on tracking your car then coilovers allow you more options to adjust parameters. Unfortunately, unless you are buying an EDC-friendly set (which is $$), you'll have to either code out the EDC error or install an EDC canceller.

Your car is graced with EDC... is it so undesirable that you're willing to disable it? Are you a track junkie that wants to ring out as much of the chassis as you can? Once you are able to size yourself up skill-wise then your answer for an appropriate suspension system will become clear.

Happy to help. Keep the questions coming!!!
      04-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
1slowm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Choosing the suspension that matches your purposes is very important. My setup works well for me (since I'm only interested in moderate lowering and a more aggressive street setup; I have another car for the track) but may not be ideal for someone who wants more out of their setup.

If you plan on tracking your car then coilovers allow you more options to adjust parameters. Unfortunately, unless you are buying an EDC-friendly set (which is $$), you'll have to either code out the EDC error or install an EDC canceller.

Your car is graced with EDC... is it so undesirable that you're willing to disable it? Are you a track junkie that wants to ring out as much of the chassis as you can? Once you are able to size yourself up skill-wise then your answer for an appropriate suspension system will become clear.

Happy to help. Keep the questions coming!!!

Thanks man! To be honest, i'm trying to get the most bang for my buck. This is a lease and only has about 2 years left. I'll be buying the next one so I can make more permanent mods. I'm not looking to spend tons of money on this job, and would like it a little lower. I think going with the springs may be desirable for me. I'll save the coils for the next project car
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

If that's the case then... springs it is!
H&R part# 28878-5 is what fits your F36xDrive. Add DINAN Shockware for another $205, and be done with it