F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Engine bay degreasing tips.
proTUNING Freaks

04-29-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

Engine bay degreasing tips.

I really need too degrease my engine to find an oil leak. I know the ofhg/oil cooler gasket is leaking. VCG doesn't look to be leaking, the edge of the head around it is free of any fresh oil and the coils/wells were spotless when i changed the plugs. But i have residue built up on the tic pipe and surrounding areas by the chain tensioner plug as well as combustion smell during long drives or very hard diving.

So has anyone else really deeply degreased their engine? Specially the whole front and turbo side? Any do's or dont's?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep

About the best photos i could get.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

I have, put a bag between the fuse box and the lid, to trap water out, almost like a seal. I've wet the alternator without issue many times, but it's advised to stay away from it, and also disconnect the battery before starting.

Wash the engine cold as well.

As for products, I use Simple green + small bristle brush. Cleans really well and doesn't affect rubber components as other strong engine degreasers.

Lastly, you could also use a oil dye after so you can spot where it's leaking out afterwards.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

This stuff borders on the miraculous. I even used it on an oil stain on my driveway, it took it off in a flash. Expensive, but for most jobs you water it down.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
I have, put a bag between the fuse box and the lid, to trap water out, almost like a seal. I've wet the alternator without issue many times, but it's advised to stay away from it, and also disconnect the battery before starting.

As for products, I use Simple green + small bristle brush. Cleans really well and doesn't affect rubber components as other strong engine degreasers.

Lastly, you could also use a oil dye after so you can spot where it's leaking out afterwards.
The oil i use has dye in it already, molygen. just ordered a better light to check also.

Thanks i have a feeling it's justy going to be tons of tedious work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
This stuff borders on the miraculous. I even used it on an oil stain on my driveway, it took it off in a flash. Expensive, but for most jobs you water it down.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
Ill look into it. I have an oil stain i need to get rid of anyways. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonnblack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post

The oil i use has dye in it already, molygen. just ordered a better light to check also.

Thanks i have a feeling it's justy going to be tons of tedious work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
Ill look into it. I have an oil stain i need to get rid of anyways. thanks.
It's not hard. do it when it's cool out so you can take your time and not worry about stuff evaporating while you take your time.
Appreciate 0