F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F31 Yaw Rate Sensor Error
GetBMWParts

07-30-2023, 11:00 PM   #1
F31_TNT
Rep
Drives: BMW 328DX

F31 Yaw Rate Sensor Error

2014 F31 328DX

I'm trying to diagnose this issue on my car that is giving me the Chassis Stabilization error message.
From the bimmerlink app the 2 error codes I am getting are:
480121 SBS Function - yaw rate sensor model error sensor 1
480122 SBS Function - Yaw rate sensor signal quality sensor 1
I tried calling my local BMW dealer and they weren't any help. They couldn't even tell me where the yaw sensor is on my car.

Has anybody ran into this or know anything I can try checking? I can't find any info online about the yaw sensor for these cars. HELP!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 04:09 PM   #2
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

I believe the sensor is under the driver’s seat. Not sure if it’s simply under the seat or under the carpet. Check realoem

What dealer doesn’t know where the yaw sensor is. That’s ridiculous

Last edited by casualDIYer; 08-01-2023 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 08:42 AM   #3
seabassmty
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F31_TNT View Post
2014 F31 328DX

I'm trying to diagnose this issue on my car that is giving me the Chassis Stabilization error message.
From the bimmerlink app the 2 error codes I am getting are:
480121 SBS Function - yaw rate sensor model error sensor 1
480122 SBS Function - Yaw rate sensor signal quality sensor 1
I tried calling my local BMW dealer and they weren't any help. They couldn't even tell me where the yaw sensor is on my car.

Has anybody ran into this or know anything I can try checking? I can't find any info online about the yaw sensor for these cars. HELP!!
I am not sure about the sensors, but my F36 that I got in a auction flooded, have the same problem chasis stabilization, cruise control, abs, and sport drivei did not work either, and I got a code for the speed sensor I change that and did not work, but I notice that the bearing on the wheel was different than the others so I change that and fix all the issues. I hope this help.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabassmty View Post
I am not sure about the sensors, but my F36 that I got in a auction flooded, have the same problem chasis stabilization, cruise control, abs, and sport drivei did not work either, and I got a code for the speed sensor I change that and did not work, but I notice that the bearing on the wheel was different than the others so I change that and fix all the issues. I hope this help.
Sounds like the previous owner got his car fixed at chee-pass auto wreck-can-ic. The bearing contains a magnet, that, as it turns, is measured by the speed sensor to determine the car's speed. Combined with the accelerometer, traction control and ABS are activated depending on what is going with other controls. Of course if the wrong part is installed, say one that is missing the magnet, or the magnet isn't in the right location to be read by the sensor, the car is going to freak out comparing one wheel with the other 3, and shut down those systems.

Congrats on figuring out the problem. That sounds like fairly complex diagnosis.
      09-19-2023, 08:47 AM   #5
F31_TNT
Rep
Drives: BMW 328DX

So I took the car to BMW for the EGR recall and had them scan the car to check out the light. It appears that the ICM is faulty and needs replacement. I can tackle the replacement of it if anyone can send me Ista so I can do the coding.
Appreciate 0