F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F31 Electric swivel tow bar retrofit
ARMA SPEED

07-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
Nodrog29
Lover of fast estate cars
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI M340i (due Sept 22)

Exclamation F31 Electric swivel tow bar retrofit

Hi all,

I wanted a towbar for my 2015 F31 330d M Sport LCI and having had an electric swivel tow bar in the past I decided to retro fit one. It was difficult to find one fitted as it seems a pretty rare option. I only want to use one to carry a bike rack as I don't like keeping them on the roof.

I searched through all of the forums here and found some really useful information. Most importantly the manufacturer retro fit instructions which are great. I bought a used swivel tow bar and module. I got a brand new OEM wiring loom which although a bit expensive for what it is it seems like good quality.

Once I had all the bits together I got round to fitting the part. Not too bad a job and bumper off, tow bar on. Heat shield modified and hole drilled next to the battery compartment it all seemed pretty normal. The wiring loom was fairly straight forward although I'm quiet a bit more comfortable with mechanics than electrics.

Everything went in as per the OEM instruction with a reassuring click on all of the connectors. Fuse box high was already installed and the mount for the module was already there too which saved a bit of extra work. Having completed the work there unfortunately is no green light on the tow bar button and nothing happens when you press it.

The iDrive brings up a "towbar electrics failure" warning on vehicle information. I couldn't do the ISTA P programming part of the instruction but I'm planning on using E Sys once I can do the download properly. But reading the forums I get the impression that the towbar should work straight away in a kind of plug and play way. The coding is just there to disable the auto coast function and disable parking sensors etc.

My question is, have I messed up part of the instal and should I expect the towbar to at least have power and retract or is that only something that will happen once it's been coded? I can go back over the instructions again and disconnect and reconnect each plug but I don't want to do it in vain if it's a coding issue not a hardware issue.

I've posed the questions on a few threads but not had any replies and I've searched everything so far but to no avail yet. Any help would be appreciated as I will be jumping for joy when the tow bar finally retracts after all this effort.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
Patx
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d F31 LCI M sport

I have the same problem, I have installed the retrofit and even without coding the green light of the button does not turn on
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #3
Nodrog29
Lover of fast estate cars
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI M340i (due Sept 22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx View Post
I have the same problem, I have installed the retrofit and even without coding the green light of the button does not turn on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andebr
Hi, did you figure out why you had no light in the tow bar button after retrofitting the wiring loom?

Iv just retrofittet the electric tow bar on my G31, and i got no light in the button..

Best regards
Anders
It turned out it was all down to coding. A bit difficult for my old school mind to comprehend as I'd checked every electrical connection. Continuity tested everything and it all checked out OK. I had the retrofit instruction and was aware that the last part was coding but it was odd that everything could be connected correctly but still not working. No green light and no power to the button.

I had tried to download E Sys but struggled with the install something to do with tokens. I had been looking for anyone in the area of Devon that could do coding but there wasn't much. Finally I found someone and he got it sorted. Initially using E Sys but then reverted to ISTA P and whilst going through the diagnostic check it finally retracted.

So all down to coding and the vehicle accepting the new module. It's worth mentioning I had a used towbar module so it had the chassis number reset but not sure that made a difference. Wiring loom was new and towbar was used so it was a bit of a gamble but paid off!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
Patx
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d F31 LCI M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easty29 View Post
It turned out it was all down to coding. A bit difficult for my old school mind to comprehend as I'd checked every electrical connection. Continuity tested everything and it all checked out OK. I had the retrofit instruction and was aware that the last part was coding but it was odd that everything could be connected correctly but still not working. No green light and no power to the button.

I had tried to download E Sys but struggled with the install something to do with tokens. I had been looking for anyone in the area of Devon that could do coding but there wasn't much. Finally I found someone and he got it sorted. Initially using E Sys but then reverted to ISTA P and whilst going through the diagnostic check it finally retracted.

So all down to coding and the vehicle accepting the new module. It's worth mentioning I had a used towbar module so it had the chassis number reset but not sure that made a difference. Wiring loom was new and towbar was used so it was a bit of a gamble but paid off!
Thank you very much, it reassures me to know that I also do not have the green light because it needs to code.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #5
riso1988
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 440i xDrive GC, '06 330xi

Hey there - also looking to do this retrofit. Wondering if anyone has any information on the coding required? Can it be done with Esys or do you need ISTA/P? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:34 AM   #6
Dave_Cassidy1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 LCI 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easty29 View Post

Hi Easty29

I'm in the same position with this, my car has been in with the BMW main dealer for 3 days now, they checked my install and said i'd done everything right but as you i had no green light on the button etc... They are saying that my control module is faulty and going to replace it today to see if that cures the issue, but i think it will be coding related. Do you know exactly what was done to correct the issue?

Cheers
Appreciate 0