F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need advice on 440xi GC options
GetBMWParts

04-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Need advice on 440xi GC options

Hello guys,

I'm looking to order a 440xi GC LCI M Sport and i'm not completely sure regarding some options:

- Adaptive M suspension - sadly i can't test drive one to get a feel for it, so i'd love some feedback from someone who has it and how it feels. Please keep in mind that roads here in Romania are not that good, so i don't know if they're really worth considering or not. Also, i'm inclined to stick to 18" wheels.
- M Sport Brakes - i wonder if i need this option, i mean i like to know i have the best brakes installed on the car, but are they any good over the stock brakes for day to day use?
- Adaptive LED - so basically the car comes with Xenon lights. From your experience, is the LED a big leap forward? Either i stay with xenons as stock or order adaptive LEDs. Not sure what to do here.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
silver28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i xdrive 6 speed

Read this thread on the M suspension - good info here.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=827655

For the M Sport brakes, if you're not tracking the car, then don't think you really need them. If you like the looks of the M Sport brakes and cash is not an issue, then go for them. For day to day driving, not sure how this is really necessary.

For Adaptive LED, search the forums - there were some extensive studies that the LEDs had pretty poor light output. Not sure if this was for the F32 only but don't see how this could be diff for F36.

I could be wrong on everything but just starting the discussion.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

I have adaptive suspension on 18's and love it. If your research previous posts on this forum, you will find that it's particularly important to get adaptive suspension when you have xDrive.

Here's a guy that just posted today who went from passive to adaptive.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1372887

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

I'll second the adaptive suspension on 18' for xDrive, in fact based on forum member comments I'd say the adaptive is almost required for xDrive. Good luck!
      04-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3n0mal4 View Post
Hello guys,

I'm looking to order a 440xi GC LCI M Sport and i'm not completely sure regarding some options:

- Adaptive M suspension - sadly i can't test drive one to get a feel for it, so i'd love some feedback from someone who has it and how it feels. Please keep in mind that roads here in Romania are not that good, so i don't know if they're really worth considering or not. Also, i'm inclined to stick to 18" wheels.
- M Sport Brakes - i wonder if i need this option, i mean i like to know i have the best brakes installed on the car, but are they any good over the stock brakes for day to day use?
- Adaptive LED - so basically the car comes with Xenon lights. From your experience, is the LED a big leap forward? Either i stay with xenons as stock or order adaptive LEDs. Not sure what to do here.

Thanks
GC LCI comes with LED headlights, and ADAPTIVE LED HEADLINES will follow when the wheels turn for better corner lighting.
      04-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
The performance of Xenons may suffice for most people but you HAVE to go with the adaptive LEDs! That one of the looks that sets off a LCI 4er from a pre-LCI 4er. The Xenons won't be adaptive - it's nice to see my headlights move towards the direction I'm steering towards; great safety feature.

Answer for Adaptive M Suspension for xDrive & M Sport brakes is simple - GET THEM! Why be stuck with the crappy (so I've heard) stock xDrive suspension? M Sport brakes have slightly more stopping power and will complete the look for a 440i M Sport; they'll fill in the 18" wheels really nicely.
      04-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep

Thank you all for your replies.
I'll keep reading around the forum here, but i think i'll choose the adaptive suspension.
Not really sure about the brakes. The guy from BMW said that they have the same power as stock, only better ventilation.
beto_L.A. - for US yes, Romania it's another story. I checked today again with dealer, Xenon as stock, adaptive LED as option. But, as DrifterX said, doesn't seem to be LCI without LED.

Also, have you seen the full digital dials? Dealer said i can't order them and HUD, so i have to choose.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies.
I'll keep reading around the forum here, but i think i'll choose the adaptive suspension.
Not really sure about the brakes. The guy from BMW said that they have the same power as stock, only better ventilation.
beto_L.A. - for US yes, Romania it's another story. I checked today again with dealer, Xenon as stock, adaptive LED as option. But, as DrifterX said, doesn't seem to be LCI without LED.

Also, have you seen the full digital dials? Dealer said i can't order them and HUD, so i have to choose.
US won't get digital display for another 4 months after productions start.
I'm not waiting for it, and it will be part of a very expensive package.
      04-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
AlexM
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 M50d

- Adaptive M suspension - it's a noticeable difference. The ride is much smoother and road bumps are absorbed better. As you are getting an X-drive, i guess you need it to get the firm setting in sport mode.
- M Sport Brakes - i ordered it as i'm getting a big discount and like the looks. Other than that, not really sure whether you will notice the difference on a daily drive as 440 already gets better brakes than lower models.
- Adaptive LED - Adaptive LEDs give the sexy LCI looks. And the cornering is completely secondary - the main treat is the automatic high beam! Check out the videos on YouTube, that perk is really really cool! You don't have to touch a thing, the sensor cuts out the approaching vehicle and makes a blind spot in the high beam, which still lights up everything else but the car on the left lane. Same goes for the vehicles in front of you.

Multifuntion display - i went for it as my outgoing car is the current F30 and i need a change of interior

X6 M50d Tanzanite Blue
F36 440i GC/retired; F30 328i/retired; E92 335i/retired
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:29 AM   #10
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep

Wow, i watched the video about the LED technology as you said, it's pretty smart. Didn't knew it had those features to split the beam and so on. LED it is.
I'm still considering the brakes. It's 600eu without taxes, and if my only benefit is in the looks, i don't know. I'm already close to my budget limit.

Also, this forum is bad for me. Last night, with a glass of wine, i learnt too many about MPPSK, Active-8/JB4, downpipes, catless and so on ...

Another thing i wanted to ask is about the active cruise control. I don't wanna get it, since i'm 100% sure i won't be using it. I drive alot in a F01 730d model with all the gimmicks, like cruise control, lane assist and so on. I always keep them turned off. Only thing i use is the HUD (i believe it's the first generation, monochrome).
But i wonder if it's a drawback maybe for reselling the car.
We just sold my wife's E92 325Ci Cabrio 2007, and it the process alot of potential buyers asked if it had cruise control, because obvious it didn't. And i wonder why would you buy such a car to not drive it?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 06:29 AM   #11
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Wow, i watched the video about the LED technology as you said, it's pretty smart. Didn't knew it had those features to split the beam and so on. LED it is.
I'm still considering the brakes. It's 600eu without taxes, and if my only benefit is in the looks, i don't know. I'm already close to my budget limit.

Also, this forum is bad for me. Last night, with a glass of wine, i learnt too many about MPPSK, Active-8/JB4, downpipes, catless and so on ...

Another thing i wanted to ask is about the active cruise control. I don't wanna get it, since i'm 100% sure i won't be using it. I drive alot in a F01 730d model with all the gimmicks, like cruise control, lane assist and so on. I always keep them turned off. Only thing i use is the HUD (i believe it's the first generation, monochrome).
But i wonder if it's a drawback maybe for reselling the car.
We just sold my wife's E92 325Ci Cabrio 2007, and it the process alot of potential buyers asked if it had cruise control, because obvious it didn't. And i wonder why would you buy such a car to not drive it?
Get mppsk if u can. After sale price is a lot higher. Brakes only make a diff in the rear so u get 2 piston rather than 1 piston Bosch brakes. I say worth it. Most say no.

About the active cruise, lots of ppl buy bmw these days for the name and/or looks. That's why its mainstream cars have become so soft and lack steering feel. Our Bmw chapter is banning all cars with any driver assist from the track so that's something to keep in mind with these technologies.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #12
Speed-NYC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440ix Gran Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3n0mal4
Hello guys,

Thanks
suspension and lights are what will serve you well.

the brakes are for racing (repeated late breaking for extended periods of time) and for looks.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #13
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep

Thanks for the replies.
This forum is a real gold mine
So, i found out the actual difference between stock and M sport brakes, it's on the forum of course:
- front std. 340x24mm 4 pistons, M sport 370x30mm 4 pistons;
- rear std. 330x20mm 1 piston, M sport 345x24mm 2 pistons.
Also with M sport the minimum wheel size is 18", which i'm also a bit conflicted with (more expensive, totally not needed).

I still have about a month until i place the order, i'm sure (fingers crossed) by then i'll be 100% sure of my options.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #14
Vojta89
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks
I guess roads in Romania are just a bit worse than here in Czech republic.

- Adaptive M suspension - I'm driving on 20" with nonRunFlat and in compare with my previous daily - E92 330xd (even on nonRunFlat 18") it's so damn smooth GET IT
- M Sport Brakes - I've never been happy with stock BMW brakes, even on ///M models it sucks, always had to buy aftermarket BBK - this M Sport brakes are enough and I'm happy - GET IT (and you won't buy single aftermarket BBK for that price)
- Adaptive LED - Maybe xenons light the road better, but cutting out cars in front of you is priceless - GET IT
- Full digital Cluster/HUD - I find driving assists useless (lane assist, adaptiv cruise etc.), for me it's better to have pocket for keys unded steering wheel than buttons for these assists. And when you don't have assists HUD is for.... ?? phone calls?? - definitely get the Full Digital Cluster - it's so beautiful
Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      04-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep

I'm yet to decide on HUD vs full digital cluster. Also on brakes.

Here's my build as it stands now:
440xi GC - M sport, 8at sport
Individual Tanzanite Blue
19" wheels 704M
Adaptive M suspension
Adaptive LED lights
Dakota Leather - black (blue stitchings)
Glass roof
Professional navigation
Advanced parking pack
Heated f+r seats, steering wheel
No model inscription, no M on sides
Other mini things that don't really matter

First BMW with AWD and AT i get. My first was a E36 320i (the 24valve one 150hp), manual. I still drive the E39 530d (2003), and used to drive a E46 325Ci Cabrio, also manual. The F01 730d i drive is mostly on holidays, and that ofc is AT, but that means alot of highways, plus people in car, so not fun at all.
I wonder how the xDrive will feel. That's my wife's option, but i agree during winter, when we go skiing and such, we've had some adventures in the past with RWD

Last edited by z3n0mal4; 04-18-2017 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #16
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks

Adaptive M suspension is excellent choice. I drive mine in Serbia (same roads as Romania) Comfort mode excellent for long trips, Sport mode for curvy roads. Good, take it!

M Sport Brakes: don't waste your money. Standard brakes are superb if you do not drive on track.

Adaptive LED: Take it. I have standard xenons. There is a room for improvement. Plus the looks at night is very mighty, especially in rear view mirror.

Take also electric seats. There are too many adjusts for manual.
Navi Pro - must
Rear tinted windows.

Surround camera is a must because you seat as low as in submarine. You can not see curb or anything near car that is lower than 50cm

Enjoy in your excellent choice neighbor
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #17
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP M4 / Z3 2.8

I retroffited LED on my pre-lci 4gc and LOVE them! Night and day differences in my opinion. Stands out better when the low beams are on
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 02:12 AM   #18
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep

petrov555 Thank you, I'm already sold on Adaptive M Suspension and LEDs. Regarding the brakes, I'd like to have them, but as you, and many others say, it's a waste of money. I won't go track days, even if i'd like, i don't have options close by. Navi pro checked, tinted windows ofc, electric seats i thought they come with leather. I'll double check that, thanks for telling me.
Enjoy your GC as well

Robby29 Already made my mind on that subject, will go adaptive LED. Was sold when i watched the whole beam splitting technology on youtube. Plus, it looks sexy.

Noob question following.
I see here many talk about PIA on new cars. I was wondering, can u install them (for ex. MPPSK) only on new car, or u can buy and install them anytime later?
Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      04-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
petrov555 Thank you, I'm already sold on Adaptive M Suspension and LEDs. Regarding the brakes, I'd like to have them, but as you, and many others say, it's a waste of money. I won't go track days, even if i'd like, i don't have options close by. Navi pro checked, tinted windows ofc, electric seats i thought they come with leather. I'll double check that, thanks for telling me.
Enjoy your GC as well
Thanks Don't forget cameras! It is very hard to maneuver the car near curbs. The sitting position is very low. I call it submarine feeling.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #20
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

I would absolutely get all 3 of them. Adaptive suspension gives the car a premium feel and the ability to change that with the driving modes is a huge plus over the standard suspension. Blue M brakes makes the car look 10000 times better and it also saves you a lot of money if you get it now rather than deciding to add it later. Adaptive LEDs not only improve visibility but also makes the car look way more premium and cool with the LCI halos.
      05-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #21
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep

So, one month later and i still didn't place the order, but i'm really close.
Some things have changed, and thanks to you all for your inputs here.
The most obvious one is the color. Ditched Tanzanite Blue. Say hello to San Marino Blue. They go for the same price, so it's a win win.
Also getting adaptive M, sport brakes and LED. And i chose to go with the digital cluster and no HUD. Fits better my needs.
Appreciate 0