F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Driving with DSC off
GetBMWParts

01-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
gpchamp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 440i GC '23 Tesla Y

Driving with DSC off

I tried driving my '18 440i xDrive today with DSC off for the first time and I noticed that the throttle response and exhaust note were more aggressive than usual. Is that true or am I imagining things? I typically drive in Comfort mode, Sport every once in a while.

Also, what are the dangers of driving with DSC off, if any?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I think you can get the same result putting it on Sport + mode.

No danger as long as you can keep control of your vehicle. It's an "expert" mode. Most of the electronics nannies are off except for ABS. It will let you do lots of fun things like drifting as well as stupid other ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:11 PM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

With no LSD and DSC fully off she becomes a handful
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:55 AM   #4
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

I've been driving with it off a little more lately. (By off, I assume you mean you're holding the DSC button for a few seconds until it says DSC inactive.)

Some things I've noticed, throttle response and shifts are similar if not the same as in Comfort mode, definitely not as quick or aggressive as Sport/Sport+. Steering is more weighted, as it is in Sport/Sport+. I don't have adaptive shocks, so I don't know if there would be any changes to the damper settings.

Try this to compare, drive around in Sport+ for a little while, taking note of throttle response and shift speeds (in D, S, and M modes), then while still in Sport+, press and hold the DSC button until it says its inactive. If your car is anything like mine, I think you'll notice the throttle and shifts go back to feeling more like Comfort.

I'm assuming that the heightened throttle response in conjunction with no DSC/traction control is a potentially hazardous situation, so they default to Comfort-ish throttle when you turn everything off.
      01-12-2020, 03:31 AM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
I've been driving with it off a little more lately. (By off, I assume you mean you're holding the DSC button for a few seconds until it says DSC inactive.)

Some things I've noticed, throttle response and shifts are similar if not the same as in Comfort mode, definitely not as quick or aggressive as Sport/Sport+. Steering is more weighted, as it is in Sport/Sport+. I don't have adaptive shocks, so I don't know if there would be any changes to the damper settings.

Try this to compare, drive around in Sport+ for a little while, taking note of throttle response and shift speeds (in D, S, and M modes), then while still in Sport+, press and hold the DSC button until it says its inactive. If your car is anything like mine, I think you'll notice the throttle and shifts go back to feeling more like Comfort.

I'm assuming that the heightened throttle response in conjunction with no DSC/traction control is a potentially hazardous situation, so they default to Comfort-ish throttle when you turn everything off.
It actually switches back to comfort when you turn off DSC.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
That's about it....

The following is a part of the description of the 'Modes', when introduced in the F01 7-series. Same applies to most of the 3,4 & 5-series models. (Bold sections of text added by me).

Quote:
….When driving off on a loose subsurface and also when driving in a highly sports-oriented manner with the DSC switched off, it is especially important that the driver can apply engine torque extremely sensitively. This is much easier to do using a normal rather than a more sports-oriented accelerator pedal characteristic.

The sports-oriented accelerator pedal characteristic translates the accelerator pedal angle into a higher torque requirement at the engine. This torque requirement is then also put into effect more quickly by the engine control system.

As a result, the driver perceives the response characteristics of the drive, and therefore the vehicle, as more sports-oriented. However, the driver cannot use this to apply engine torque sensitively.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
gpchamp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No, I didn't hold the DSC button for a few seconds. It was just a normal "push" of the button.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpchamp View Post
No, I didn't hold the DSC button for a few seconds. It was just a normal "push" of the button.
That's not "DSC Off", that's "DTC On". Similar to the Sport+ function.
Appreciate 1
eluded3038.00
      01-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
gpchamp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Ok thank you for the clarification. I never drive in Sport+. So with DTC on, what does that really mean for me?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ok thank you for the clarification. I never drive in Sport+. So with DTC on, what does that really mean for me?
Brief press of the DTC/DSC button enables Dynamic Traction Control (DTC). DTC is a function within DSC.

Typical BMW description of DTC function...

Quote:
In the "DSC on" mode, all DSC functions are fully active. The stabilizing interventions in brake and engine function take place at an early stage. That makes it easier for less expert drivers to regain control of a vehicle that is becoming unstable.

In "DTC mode" the stabilizing interventions take place at a slightly later stage. The Automatic Stability Control and Automatic Differential Brake functions allow a greater degree of wheelspin. That improves traction when pulling away on loose surfaces such as uncompacted snow.

The dynamic handling control function does not come into action until a larger sideslip angle is reached than in "DSC on" mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #11
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Sport+ is DTC on (and comfort steering/throttle).

It will let the car spin tires more before the nannies kick in to do throttle cuts.

If you take a corner in sport, and get aggressive on the throttle, it will tend to feel non-responsive since the stability control cuts the throttle and brings it back into control.

Do the same in sport+ (or DTC on), and it will let the rear kick out under those same conditions (to a certain degree).

Hold the DTC button for a couple seconds, then it's 100% off with no nannies. Like mentioned above, you better be in tune with the car since things can get a little out of hand in a hurry. Great for the track, but not really advisable on surface streets.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:56 PM   #12
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I drove an S14 Silvia for 13 years, yeah NO nannies even ABS. You guys lucky you have traction control, stability control.... imagine what they say about the F40 Ferrari... shit is scary on the street.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #13
gpchamp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for this. I wonder why having DTC on affects the exhaust note?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Sport+ is DTC on (and comfort steering/throttle).

It will let the car spin tires more before the nannies kick in to do throttle cuts.

If you take a corner in sport, and get aggressive on the throttle, it will tend to feel non-responsive since the stability control cuts the throttle and brings it back into control.

Do the same in sport+ (or DTC on), and it will let the rear kick out under those same conditions (to a certain degree).

Hold the DTC button for a couple seconds, then it's 100% off with no nannies. Like mentioned above, you better be in tune with the car since things can get a little out of hand in a hurry. Great for the track, but not really advisable on surface streets.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:55 PM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Not sure, maybe opens the exhaust flap?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #15
gpchamp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Not sure, maybe opens the exhaust flap?
I'm sure that's the case, but why??
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #16
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I'm guessing if you are turning it off, you're probably driving more aggressively so it's programmed to give it a bit more exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:38 PM   #17
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Sport + still keeps the electronic nannies active, just a little more relaxed.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:28 AM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The traction control light is on because you can still spin the car in this mode which you might do unintentionally so you should drive as if you don't have traction control at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #19
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The traction control light is on because you can still spin the car in this mode which you might do unintentionally so you should drive as if you don't have traction control at all.
Correct. I even kick my tail out with xdrive. If the car does feel you're getting too crazy it will kick in as it's not fully off.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #20
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

DTC on is the same as Sport + but with comfort throttle/steering. You still get the burbles.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #21
gpchamp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
DTC on is the same as Sport + but with comfort throttle/steering. You still get the burbles.
What about the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #22
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
What about the suspension?
Everything is in comfort. It just allows a little more slip in the wheels.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0