F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > LED bulb in Depo F30 projector headlights
Studio RSR

09-27-2020, 11:28 PM   #23
navid0308
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Huge shoutout to Machtkampf!!!

I pulled the trigger and got these LEDs and they are pretty darn good! A few points I would like to mention for anyone who's interested:

1. The beam pattern is pretty close to halogens; there is a little glare but I think most modern cars have some glare. Plus it lights up the road signs really nice. I didn't get flashed when I was cruising around just FYI.

2. Color temp is pretty close to the angel eyes but not 100%. While driving though, I don't think anyone else on the road will be able to tell. On a side note, I think no bulb will ever actually match the angel eyes - they don't seem to have a white (equal R G B values) color, rather they look a little magenta.

3. They are plug and play WITHOUT any errors or flickering on startup. These don't have any modules (I believe they're called CANBUS or decoder) between the plug and the bulb. Probably the error canceller is in the bulb itself. It is very compact though, thus an easy fit inside the DEPO housing.

4. Throw: common complaint with LEDs is that they have great foreground light but poor throw (read lighting up stuff in the distance). Honestly, I felt like they lit up the road a lot better than my halogens. Switching to a white light will ALWAYS reduce what is *perceptually* visible at a distance. It's simply because of the way our eyes work. Read here: https://sciencing.com/common-eye-color-7192584.html

Tip for anyone upgrading from the halogens: the H7 base is meant to be upside down inside the DEPO lights. Otherwise you will shred your hands and still not be able to get the H7 adapter to sit right.
Attached Images

Last edited by navid0308; 09-27-2020 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-28-2020, 07:11 AM   #24
Machtkampf
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by navid0308 View Post

I pulled the trigger and got these LEDs and they are pretty darn good! A few points I would like to mention for anyone who's interested:

1. The beam pattern is pretty close to halogens; there is a little glare but I think most modern cars have some glare. Plus it lights up the road signs really nice. I didn't get flashed when I was cruising around just FYI.

2. Color temp is pretty close to the angel eyes but not 100%. While driving though, I don't think anyone else on the road will be able to tell. On a side note, I think no bulb will ever actually match the angel eyes - they don't seem to have a white (equal R G B values) color, rather they look a little magenta.

3. They are plug and play WITHOUT any errors or flickering on startup. These don't have any modules (I believe they're called CANBUS or decoder) between the plug and the bulb. Probably the error canceller is in the bulb itself. It is very compact though, thus an easy fit inside the DEPO housing.

4. Throw: common complaint with LEDs is that they have great foreground light but poor throw (read lighting up stuff in the distance). Honestly, I felt like they lit up the road a lot better than my halogens. Switching to a white light will ALWAYS reduce what is *perceptually* visible at a distance. It's simply because of the way our eyes work. Read here: https://sciencing.com/common-eye-color-7192584.html

Tip for anyone upgrading from the halogens: the H7 base is meant to be upside down inside the DEPO lights. Otherwise you will shred your hands and still not be able to get the H7 adapter to sit right.
Quote:

Wow awesome thank you! Im happy they worked for you too, hopefully everyone struggling with poor beams sees this and upgrades as it definitely helps alot.

Thanks for the last tip i did struggle with that so i lifted my car and removed tires to have more space to install them, Were you able to mount them on to the depo's using just the cap provided with the leds? Or did u use one of these H7 retainer clips like these? Have u managed to find a way to get to the high beams by any chance?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #25
navid0308
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtkampf View Post
Wow awesome thank you! Im happy they worked for you too, hopefully everyone struggling with poor beams sees this and upgrades as it definitely helps alot.

Thanks for the last tip i did struggle with that so i lifted my car and removed tires to have more space to install them, Were you able to mount them on to the depo's using just the cap provided with the leds? Or did u use one of these H7 retainer clips like these? Have u managed to find a way to get to the high beams by any chance?
I had to use the adapters you provided in the link(thanks!). At first I installed the LED cap with the adapter but it wouldn't sit right because I was trying to install it in the same orientation as halogen headlights. You can see in the pics below how the adapter slides more into place in the DEPOs when placed upside down.

Regarding high beams, I left them as is. They aren't used enough to go out anytime soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #26
JerseyF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xdrive

Has anyone put the 2012-2015 depo lights on a 2017 f30?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #27
slugmaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

I just ordered the Light Moses H7 LED Headlight Bulbs from Amazon. They are on sale for Prime day ($10 off). I have the morimoto elites but the driver side does not alway light up. I'll post comparison after I install.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #28
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i f30

So from what Im reading, just to be clear, these bulbs (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSFP4YF..._Sb.zFb6T4A78Y) and the first generation adapters are all I need to install LEDs in my depo headlights??
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:32 PM   #29
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I wouldn't use fan cooled bulbs, the fans commonly fail.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 12:56 AM   #30
navid0308
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
So from what Im reading, just to be clear, these bulbs (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSFP4YF..._Sb.zFb6T4A78Y) and the first generation adapters are all I need to install LEDs in my depo headlights??
Yep that should be it!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #31
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep that should be it!
Perfect thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:16 PM   #32
MikeyMrtnz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Another shoutout to Machtkampf! Installed those bulbs from Amazon last night. No issues or errors so far.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #33
slugmaster
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just cracked open my package from Amazon with the Light Moses H7 LEDs and bulb adapter. I can confirm that the adapter does fit this LED but it is very flimsy. I'll report back after I install in my Depo lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:22 PM   #34
MikeyMrtnz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugmaster View Post
I just cracked open my package from Amazon with the Light Moses H7 LEDs and bulb adapter. I can confirm that the adapter does fit this LED but it is very flimsy. I'll report back after I install in my Depo lights.
Just a tip in case you didn't already know, put the H7 adapters inside the headlight housing first as shown in pictures above, then put the LED bulb in.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #35
Machtkampf
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMrtnz View Post
Another shoutout to Machtkampf! Installed those bulbs from Amazon last night. No issues or errors so far.
Thanks!! Hope they work great for you as well, They have been treating me good so far no issues
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #36
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Received my package today with the adapters and led bulbs mentioned previously. To install, will I have to remove the bumper and headlight housing and all that? Or should i be able to do it all through the access hole in the wheel well?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:24 PM   #37
MikeyMrtnz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Received my package today with the adapters and led bulbs mentioned previously. To install, will I have to remove the bumper and headlight housing and all that? Or should i be able to do it all through the access hole in the wheel well?
You can do it through the access panel. Turn your wheel towards the side you’re working on. So while working on the left for example, you want your wheels turned all the way to the left.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #38
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMrtnz View Post
Quote:
You can do it through the access panel. Turn your wheel towards the side you’re working on. So while working on the left for example, you want your wheels turned all the way to the left.
Perfect thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #39
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, im currently in the process of installing these bulbs and adapters and i guess im confused as to what the adapters even do or if i need them? There was a similar adapter on the plug already for the halogen bulb, but my new bulb does not sit at the plug. The bulb I got which is the one from the link in this thread has about a 4" extension to the plug and there doesnt seem to be a way that the led adapter fits onto it. Any help is appreciated, thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #40
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I might be on to something... i pulled the actual bulb off of the socket and put the adapter on and replaced the bulb piece, but it fits very loosely and i dont see how that could even work?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #41
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anybody have any tips...?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:46 PM   #42
slugmaster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just wanted to update my earlier post. I replaced the Morimoto Elite HID bulbs with Light Moses LED and can happily report the light output is improved. The cut off was sharper on first install without an hour or so of playing with the adapter/bulbs with the Morimotos. The LED's are definitely brighter and reach peak brightness almost immediately. So far very happy!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #43
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugmaster View Post
Just wanted to update my earlier post. I replaced the Morimoto Elite HID bulbs with Light Moses LED and can happily report the light output is improved. The cut off was sharper on first install without an hour or so of playing with the adapter/bulbs with the Morimotos. The LED's are definitely brighter and reach peak brightness almost immediately. So far very happy!
Can you clarify how to install these?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 01:09 AM   #44
navid0308
Private
Rep

Quote:
I might be on to something... i pulled the actual bulb off of the socket and put the adapter on and replaced the bulb piece, but it fits very loosely and i dont see how that could even work?
First thing I did was place the adapter with the led collar inside like this: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=26

Then I connected the led plug into the halogen socket base. Be sure to check the polarity! Finally I tucked the connector inside and just pushed the led in.

The adapter will secure the led collar pretty well. And the led itself will fit very snug into the collar. So once you install it, the gap between the adapter and base of the led will no longer cause the looseness issue. Quote this if you run into more issues. That way I’ll get notified. Good luck!

Last edited by navid0308; 11-01-2020 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0