F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > New amp - Audiotec Fischer's Match-Up 7BMW
GetBMWParts

11-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #155
ALara
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Looks good, but I'd also add rear door tweeters.
Lets see how it sounds first, I would consider better front tweeters if more highs are necessary or rear surface mount. I hope not..

What do I need to know about the engine note thru speakers after upgrade?
I like the engine sound in the cabin with spirited driving.

Angel
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #156
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I've tested the OEM tweeters against expensive aftermarkets and the OEM are fine. The high pass filtering for them is woefully inadequate, and there's no low pass on the midranges, which I fixed with real crossovers that I designed. I don't have engine sound in my speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #157
AAT
Time to switch brands
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240, X2, Mustang Bullitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR2 View Post
Thanks, Bill. It seems clear from your previous posts you think it usually ISN'T worth it!

I think I'm going to order a Match UP7BMW to replace the factory amp. I'm going with the plug-n-play because it seems like a decent product and I don't have time to learn a new trade at the moment!

That said, the tuning software looks fairly complicated to use for someone not in the business. Do you think a user with little experience and at least average intelligence can make this thing work or will I need to pay someone to tune this thing for me?

Thanks again!
Hello, did you pickup the Match Up 7 BMW? Just wondering how everything worked out as I'm looking at upgrading to the same amp. If you did replace with the Match, was tuning as difficult as some post mention? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #158
ALara
Rep

First impression on the Match amp.
Very easy install.
Very easy USB update.
Much more head room, definition, bass is also much more noticeable.
Impressed...

I loaded the touring file and the system came alive. I have a F31.
I am going to explore if the DSP can assign frequency ranges to select channels? I notice the highs could be much sharper, sounds filtered.

Still need the bass amp, sub and box.

Any DSP advice out there?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #159
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALara View Post
First impression on the Match amp.
Very easy install.
Very easy USB update.
Much more head room, definition, bass is also much more noticeable.
Impressed...

I loaded the touring file and the system came alive. I have a F31.
I am going to explore if the DSP can assign frequency ranges to select channels? I notice the highs could be much sharper, sounds filtered.

Still need the bass amp, sub and box.

Any DSP advice out there?
Are you using stock speakers with Match amp? Then I advise you swap out at least the front and center speakers with better aftermarket. I'm using Scanspeak speakers and the high is more airy than stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #160
ALara
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Are you using stock speakers with Match amp? Then I advise you swap out at least the front and center speakers with better aftermarket. I'm using Scanspeak speakers and the high is more airy than stock.

Yes, Match amp and factory speakers. Those Focal's look amazing. Man this is going to expensive!

Can the high's be enhanced in the DSP?

This weekend I get the Kicker 800.1 and listen to a tube, sealed, ported box. Until my side mount arrives. So tempted to go with Focal's R/L and 10" sub..

Angel
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #161
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I've actually tested the stock speakers, they're just as good as the Focal. This is a case where more expensive is just more expensive, not better.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #162
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Quote:
I've actually tested the stock speakers, they're just as good as the Focal. This is a case where more expensive is just more expensive, not better.
That's my experience too. The owner of the shop where I purchased my amp told me not to bother with changing speakers - no real benefit in his opinion.
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50
      12-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #163
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Not in a car, that's for sure. The difference in how well a $70 driver works compared to how well a $300 driver works in a high end stereo speaker is slight, and can hardly be heard in a perfect listening environment. A car isn't a perfect listening environment by any means. If BMW used $10 drivers there would be room for major improvement, but they don't.
Appreciate 2
johnung4510.50
      12-11-2020, 08:02 AM   #164
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Not in a car, that's for sure. The difference in how well a $70 driver works compared to how well a $300 driver works in a high end stereo speaker is slight, and can hardly be heard in a perfect listening environment. A car isn't a perfect listening environment by any means. If BMW used $10 drivers there would be room for major improvement, but they don't.
Excellent advice, Bill!

I just want to add to this thread that guys keep trying code out the ASD engine noise and have problems by doing so. The simple and 100% effective solution is to install a hardware fix, the ASD bypass harness from Technicpnp, about $55.

https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/

The ASD is a box near the BMW audio amplifier under a panel in the left alcove of the trunk.

Note: I went through lots of gyrations trying to find an ASD that my dealer parts department swore that I had based on my VIN. Then I was told by Technicpnp that they had never seen as ASD installed in a built for the US F3x 3-series. Apparently the UK model 3-series might have gotten an ASD.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 08:19 AM   #165
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

All of the ASD systems I've seen use a separate box. I've never investigated coding it off as I don't have it. Bimmercode has an Active Sound Design deactivation function, but I can't say if it works.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #166
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Quote:
All of the ASD systems I've seen use a separate box. I've never investigated coding it off as I don't have it. Bimmercode has an Active Sound Design deactivation function, but I can't say if it works.
It worked for me in my old '14 F30. My current car, an '18 F34 didn't have ASD, which made me very happy.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #167
ALara
Rep

Where can I find a tune with sub out enabled?

Any advice on the Match amp? The red led is on indicating low voltage, WTF? Also, no sub out data? I have reset the amp, loaded different files and still steady red?
Defective?

Last edited by ALara; 12-13-2020 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 05:10 AM   #168
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Match amp and factory speakers. Those Focal's look amazing. Man this is going to expensive!

Can the high's be enhanced in the DSP?

This weekend I get the Kicker 800.1 and listen to a tube, sealed, ported box. Until my side mount arrives. So tempted to go with Focal's R/L and 10" sub..

Angel
I had try to EQ stock speakers and it sound very harsh if you play very loud. The high is definitely not on the level of better speakers with proper crossover. Even if you can EQ 2 different set of speakers to same frequency response, it wouldn't sound the same. ScanSpeak speakers that I use sound very airy if that's what you are looking for.

There's 2 groups of people here. Those that said stock speakers is good enough but I'm sure they never install better speakers in their car. There's another group that have done the listening test and can vouch that changing the speakers does bring better SQ to the whole system. I have done my system upgrade progressively and noted down the changes for each component to the overall SQ. If you are interested, check out the thread in X3 forum. I also have calibrated MiniDSP mic that I use to calibrate the whole system as different speakers will need to be EQ differently. There's no one size fit all tuning profile from my perspective. Some people like very sharp treble but I found it's very annoying in car environment especially Adele songs. Too screeching to my taste. I need to tame the treble down by using shelf filter at 2khz, -2db.

Last edited by pierreye; 12-15-2020 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #169
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

There's a third group, engineers who understand how speakers work, and don't rely upon unsubstantiated advertising claims to make sensible decisions on what's worth spending time and money on and what's not. Claims of improvement without supporting data are as useless as claims of which bottled water tastes best.
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #170
ALara
Rep

After incredible patience and tweaking, I finally got the trunk sub to work. Can someone explain the reason for summing the front R/L on the in/out setting of the DSP? Are the front mids and highs on the same channel? can they be individually set up in the DSP?
Is it possible to individually set frequency ranges to all 7 channels?

Billfitz is correct, the highs are not crispy especially when the tracks slam those symbols!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #171
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I can't comment on the specifics, as I don't have one, but where content is concerned everything below 80Hz has been summed to mono in the recording studio since the 1980s, so that might have something to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 05:51 PM   #172
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
After incredible patience and tweaking, I finally got the trunk sub to work. Can someone explain the reason for summing the front R/L on the in/out setting of the DSP? Are the front mids and highs on the same channel? can they be individually set up in the DSP?
Is it possible to individually set frequency ranges to all 7 channels?

Billfitz is correct, the highs are not crispy especially when the tracks slam those symbols!
Cause the HU output full range in 4 channels to FL, FR, RL and RR. You will need to sum the signal for additional channels. For example, center speaker is the sum of FL + FR. Underseat L is the sum of FL + RL. As for sub, I sum all 4 channels and use 4th order low pass filter at 120hz. You need to to use low pass and/or high pass filter at the range you want each speakers to play.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #173
ALara
Rep

Any opinions on a trunk sub box, 2 vs 4 ohm?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #174
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That depends on the capability of the amp.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #175
ALara
Rep

I don't think amplification will be an issue? I have installed a Kicker 800.1 @ 2 ohms 600.

Also

I am hearing a tic, tic on the front passenger side. The noise is in phase with the engine, but its not alternator noise? The noise was there before the sub amp install, so I do not see a relation. Its from the Match amp. Going to see if the engine noise thing is the cause. I think it could be coded off.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 03:14 PM   #176
SD Convert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
The ASD is a box near the BMW audio amplifier under a panel in the left alcove of the trunk.
I've got a small box near my amp, with a similar connector, but I don't know what it is. The label lists it as a Harman Becker "HS B224", with a BMW number of "2 448 116 AI:01" (obviously not a part number). The label also says it's an amplifier (supported by the heatsink top). Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?
Appreciate 0