F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Steering issues
Extreme Powerhouse

11-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
makkuro
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Steering issues

Hello,

I am experiencing a strange issue in regards to my steering with my F30. When I make a right turn, it seems that the steering doesn't return to the centre as hard/fast as if I am making a left turn. The steering rack is not making any abnormal noises when turning.

Do you think this is a problem with the tie rods? I installed the steering rack repair kit (thrust piece) and it did not make a difference.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

The rack repair kit has a complicated install and if not done properly will throw off the centering. Most dealers won't even do it. Many people who diy it have noted this. Try tweaking the locking three prong cap on the rack. I managed to get my rack replaced because I did not want to mess with the repair kit.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
makkuro
Rep

One related question. When steering while your car is stationary or very slow, is it 'normal' to hear a bit of noise or should it be pretty much silent? When I turn my steering wheel while stationary, I can hear a very faint belt noise. Should I be concerned?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkuro View Post
One related question. When steering while your car is stationary or very slow, is it 'normal' to hear a bit of noise or should it be pretty much silent? When I turn my steering wheel while stationary, I can hear a very faint belt noise. Should I be concerned?
Some noise while stationary with the motor off is normal. I've tried this with new cars at the dealer lot and loaners. Once the motor is running everything should tighten up and there shouldn't be any noise. Mine was making a slight noise with engine on and that's what convinced my dealer to swap it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
makkuro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Some noise while stationary with the motor off is normal. I've tried this with new cars at the dealer lot and loaners. Once the motor is running everything should tighten up and there shouldn't be any noise. Mine was making a slight noise with engine on and that's what convinced my dealer to swap it.
Thank you kindly for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

I'm going to suggest that you find a good indy mechanic and if you can find a body shop that basically does insurance work, even better. Have them look at it. If you really want a second opinion, take it to the dealer. See if the two options align. It will cost you a few bucks but it might be worth it if you can fix it without much guesswork. Good luck!!!
Appreciate 1