F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Which car play do I get?
Studio RSR

07-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #89
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie View Post
That happened to me before, my phones microphone was picking up my voice instead of my car. In the end, the goal is to not be connected to idrive (original car Bluetooth), but some people here make it work by using both (idrive & carplay at the same time)
Do you use the original existing BMW microphone?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #90
Fishie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 32ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FransL View Post
Do you use the original existing BMW microphone?
I can't get that to work, currently, I don't use any microphone.

An external microphone is getting delivered today, hopefully it will be perfect (other people can hear me, no static, loud, etc...). If it works, I will fully install it and close everything up and be good to go.

If this does not work I will either try one more external microphone OR buy the roadtop unit which comes with a mic tap.

My OEM microphone in my car is not the best, it works but sometimes people complain about not being able to hear me/im quiet. This is why I would like to try the external mic before I tap the OEM one.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #91
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I can't get that to work, currently, I don't use any microphone.

An external microphone is getting delivered today, hopefully it will be perfect (other people can hear me, no static, loud, etc...). If it works, I will fully install it and close everything up and be good to go.

If this does not work I will either try one more external microphone OR buy the roadtop unit which comes with a mic tap.

My OEM microphone in my car is not the best, it works but sometimes people complain about not being able to hear me/im quiet. This is why I would like to try the external mic before I tap the OEM one.
I see.
Mine is a NBT Roadtop version but didn't come with a mic tap.
At first I ordered the CIC version but as stated before in this forum the CIC-High version has a 6-pin monitor. After contacting them I could change it for an NBT version.
Btw the CIC version had many cables, I guess a mic tab was one of them.

Picture of the CIC version I had
Attached Images

Last edited by FransL; 07-18-2020 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #92
Fishie
Private
Rep

Quote:
I see.
Mine is a NBT Roadtop version but didn't come with a mic tap.
At first I ordered the CIC version but as stated before in this forum the CIC-High version has a 6-pin monitor. After contacting them I could change it for an NBT version.
Btw the CIC version had many cables, I guess a mic tab was one of them.

Picture of the CIC version I had
Yup the mic tap is the one on the bottom right, directly to the left of the antenna (the cable in the bag). It comes with the CIC unit because everyone with CIC needs it. CIC-HIGH is an exception that needs the tap/external mic which most sellers aren’t aware of hence don’t include the tap

Still waiting on amazon to get here to try out my new mic, I hope it works

edit: Just got delivered, the two core mic is for sure better than the previous two that I tried. It is still shit though. The other person can hear me, but if they were at a restaurant with some background noise I don't think they would be able to hear me.

I think my only option now is to try out a mic tap.

I did connect my phone to the drive Bluetooth and calls work, I can't use the steering wheel controls if I do this because carplay and idrive fight with each other.

Last edited by Fishie; 07-18-2020 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #93
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Yup the mic tap is the one on the bottom right, directly to the left of the antenna (the cable in the bag). It comes with the CIC unit because everyone with CIC needs it. CIC-HIGH is an exception that needs the tap/external mic which most sellers aren’t aware of hence don’t include the tap

Still waiting on amazon to get here to try out my new mic, I hope it works

edit: Just got delivered, the two core mic is for sure better than the previous two that I tried. It is still shit though. The other person can hear me, but if they were at a restaurant with some background noise I don't think they would be able to hear me.

I think my only option now is to try out a mic tap.

I did connect my phone to the drive Bluetooth and calls work, I can't use the steering wheel controls if I do this because carplay and idrive fight with each other.
The item youre referring to looks like an aftermarket mic. I posted a pic on the last page for the mic tap with the bmw original mic plugged in.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #94
Fishie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
The item youre referring to looks like an aftermarket mic. I posted a pic on the last page for the mic tap with the bmw original mic plugged in.
Yup, my bad! You're right.

My seller is sending me a new microphone (as the ones I got on amazon arent the best). He is confident that his microphone will work and everything will sound normal.

If the new mic does not work, I will be buying the roadtop unit to get the mic tap that you have.

**I do have a comm box in my trunk so I am assuming that this is the reason I need the aux & mic plugged in vs it working directly from the head unit. If the car was one year newer this would have been a lot easier...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #95
Fishie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hope that works.

Strangely enough sometime Siri works in my car. I can not make out why and which settings are being used when it works. I do have bluetooth connected to CIC-HIGH to be able to make phone calls. For podcasts audio I do need aux but not always. Very confusing.
Siri works on my car through my phone microphone not the car mic.

Try and see if it works when you cover up your phone, maybe its doing the same thing as mine?

Any updates regarding your situation?

Currently everything works fine. Phone calls are handled with idrive (so the microphone is good). If I use something that requires the microphone on the MMI (eg siri, messages, waze) then it uses my phone mic.

Does anyone else have the issue of siri taking forever to respond? If I ask it for the time it takes a good 5-10 seconds to respond (my data works and I have a good connection)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:54 AM   #96
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Siri works on my car through my phone microphone not the car mic.

Try and see if it works when you cover up your phone, maybe its doing the same thing as mine?

Any updates regarding your situation?
No changes on my side. Trying to figure out how to make the MMI use the iPhone mic for siri.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #97
Fishie
Private
Rep

Quote:
No changes on my side. Trying to figure out how to make the MMI use the iPhone mic for siri.
Just tested it and realized I forgot to say the most important part... Siri uses my phone mic if I say “hey Siri” instead of physically holding the big button down in my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 04:47 AM   #98
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Just tested it and realized I forgot to say the most important part... Siri uses my phone mic if I say “hey Siri” instead of physically holding the big button down in my car.
That explains, thanks for sharing. I have not activated "hey Siri".
Sometimes it works when i holding the big button down and sometimes it doesn't. It puzzels me why. I do know that when Siri works I do not have Podcast audio. And when I have Podcast audio, Siri doesn't work.

Last edited by FransL; 07-24-2020 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #99
rjjy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TBD: 2012 Mineral White 328i

Welp, I wish I found this thread earlier! During install I realized something was wrong when I didn't have the correct wire for MMI → screen (also known as LVDS Out). Apparently I have CIC-HIGH. I'm super confused what to do now, so I put together photos and details.

CAR = 2012 328i, "HU CIC-HIGH" headunit, "L7 CID High" screen. The plug on the back of the screen is 4pin + 2 external wires.

MMI = RoadTop CIC (Link)

Question 1: Even after reading all the posts I'm not sure what I have to do. Return the entire thing? Just get the missing cable (4pin + 2 external wires)?

Question 2: Is it correct that I must run the RoadTop supplied mic cable up the A pillar and splice/connect it inline with the OEM Mic. And also run the RoadTop supplied AUX cable under the center console and plug into the AUX input in my center console.

Hi Res Photo Link
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:46 AM   #100
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjy View Post
Welp, I wish I found this thread earlier! During install I realized something was wrong when I didn't have the correct wire for MMI → screen (also known as LVDS Out). Apparently I have CIC-HIGH. I'm super confused what to do now, so I put together photos and details.

CAR = 2012 328i, "HU CIC-HIGH" headunit, "L7 CID High" screen. The plug on the back of the screen is 4pin + 2 external wires.

MMI = RoadTop CIC (Link)

Question 1: Even after reading all the posts I'm not sure what I have to do. Return the entire thing? Just get the missing cable (4pin + 2 external wires)?

Question 2: Is it correct that I must run the RoadTop supplied mic cable up the A pillar and splice/connect it inline with the OEM Mic. And also run the RoadTop supplied AUX cable under the center console and plug into the AUX input in my center console.

Hi Res Photo Link
I had the same thing, also from RoadTop, and changed it for a NBT version which works fine.
Exept for the mic. The OEM mic will not connect to the MMI. For that you need a mic splitter (no1 on your image?, not included in NBT box) or an external mic.
No2 cable is to tab into the iDrive knob. Luckily you do not heed that for HIGH-CIC.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #101
rjjy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TBD: 2012 Mineral White 328i

Quote:
I had the same thing, also from RoadTop, and changed it for a NBT version which works fine.
Exept for the mic. The OEM mic will not connect to the MMI. For that you need a mic splitter (no1 on your image?, not included in NBT box) or an external mic.
No2 cable is to tab into the iDrive knob. Luckily you do not heed that for HIGH-CIC.
Logistically, how did you change for NBT? I hope it doesn’t involve waiting another 3 months for a shipment from China.

So I just keep the Mic splitter from this setup? (It’s the cable in the bottom right corner, not the one labeled “1?”) That doesn’t sound like they’ll like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #102
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjy View Post
Logistically, how did you change for NBT? I hope it doesn’t involve waiting another 3 months for a shipment from China.

So I just keep the Mic splitter from this setup? (It’s the cable in the bottom right corner, not the one labeled “1?”) That doesn’t sound like they’ll like that.
Ofcourse, the one with the headphone jack would be more logical.

Someone posted an image of the splitter. Maby you recognize it. See:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=82

I ordered mine via aliexpress, and it took some time indeed. The CIC came from China, the NBT came from Czech Republic so it didn't take that long for me. I had to ship the CIC one back to China with all the cables and did e-mail them the track and trace code.

Last edited by FransL; 08-02-2020 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #103
f304dr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Where are you guys ordering the road top version? Cant find them on AliExpress (besides selling android screens) or amazon. Does the mic tap work well? Currently ordered carlinkit but could switch. I just want to get whatever is easier to install as im hiring a shop to do it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #104
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f304dr View Post
Where are you guys ordering the road top version? Cant find them on AliExpress (besides selling android screens) or amazon. Does the mic tap work well? Currently ordered carlinkit but could switch. I just want to get whatever is easier to install as im hiring a shop to do it. Thanks!
https://nl.aliexpress.com/store/grou...170f7278VvUyL3
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #105
f304dr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Is it worth it for the mic tap? Also $50 cheaper : /
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #106
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Is it worth it for the mic tap? Also $50 cheaper : /
My NBT did not come with a mic tap.
I do not know where to get one either. If you do please share!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #107
f304dr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My NBT did not come with a mic tap.
I do not know where to get one either. If you do please share!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Roadtop gives you a splitter/tap that taps into your factory mic. It keeps OEM function and also uses it for the Carplay.

On page 4 of this thread it says they got it with their roadtop kits and not sold separately, maybe ask the seller? Im going to ask if its included as well.

Edit: just asked the seller and he said it comes with it. Going to try to cancel my current order and get the roadkit.

Last edited by f304dr; 08-03-2020 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
FransL3.00
      08-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #108
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
On page 4 of this thread it says they got it with their roadtop kits and not sold separately, maybe ask the seller? Im going to ask if its included as well.

Edit: just asked the seller and he said it comes with it. Going to try to cancel my current order and get the roadkit.
For those looking on amazon, this is the exact link I used to purchase. currently sold out but roadtop has another nbt listing for sale. not sure if theres any differences.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:44 PM   #109
f304dr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is this the splitter I need?

Last edited by f304dr; 08-04-2020 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #110
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Is this the splitter I need?
That looks like the splitter i got! Except, it plugs into the factory mic and then the other end plugs into the original mic plug so I can still use the factory bluetooth if I wanted to.

Appreciate 1
Fishie10.50