F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > X3 M40d gone, Mini JCW inbound (I think)
proTUNING Freaks

08-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #67
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
The M135i would also suffer a bit from torque steer when really trying hard but easy to avoid in normal fastish driving.
It was a test drive in a car that’s not mine, it was getting everything!

It was only slight when pushing really hard, so not something that puts me off.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #68
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

What did Mrs Alex think to it, if she has to drive it? I remember buying my Mrs a Golf GTi PP which I thought was perfect for her, she hated it and wouldnt drive it!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #69
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
What did Mrs Alex think to it, if she has to drive it? I remember buying my Mrs a Golf GTi PP which I thought was perfect for her, she hated it and wouldnt drive it!
Went out for half an hour and came back saying she loved it and get it ordered. Mini was her choice anyway not mine, I just upped the power a bit.

Stratstone couldn’t get anywhere near price from the Park Lane discount scheme, so will be placing order Monday.
Appreciate 4
isleaiw18605.50
JD64215.00
89TAL0.00
JNW13122.00
      08-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #70
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Went out for half an hour and came back saying she loved it and get it ordered. Mini was her choice anyway not mine, I just upped the power a bit.

Stratstone couldn’t get anywhere near price from the Park Lane discount scheme, so will be placing order Monday.
Job done. The character of Minis does seem to be attractive....
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #71
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
The character of Minis does seem to be attractive....
Yes it does although personally I think a lot of the attraction is just that Minis actually have character - sadly the vast majority of cars seem almost completely devoid of that quality these days....
Appreciate 4
      08-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #72
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Yes it does although personally I think a lot of the attraction is just that Minis actually have character - sadly the vast majority of cars seem almost completely devoid of that quality these days....
Including some exceedingly competent but not very characterful BMWs Mercedes and Audi....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #73
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Including some exceedingly competent but not very characterful BMWs Mercedes and Audi....
Absolutely; there are lots of extremely competent cars around but IMO not many that have much in the way of character - much as I really like my M340i I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say it exudes character. If you want a 3-series size car with that I imagine an Alfa Giulia is likely to be your best bet, especially a Quadrifoglio!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #74
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely; there are lots of extremely competent cars around but IMO not many that have much in the way of character - much as I really like my M340i I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say it exudes character. If you want a 3-series size car with that I imagine an Alfa Giulia is likely to be your best bet, especially a Quadrifoglio!
The SIL has a GLC43 and they have tried to give that character - but in that forced way that is probably worse than non at all..

Gets his M340i T in a few weeks so looking forward to trying that.....

I think something like a Fiesta ST has character, my old Alfa 156 JTD 20v had character even though it wasnt great.... suspect some cars today are too powerful and too clinical to really have character at road speeds.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:28 PM   #75
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

It’s hard nowadays to put character into cars. Manufacturers try and please everyone.

Forums like this show what happens if manufactures try and do anything even slightly individual or different, they get slaughtered for it.

Mini is an exception, they’ve always had character and would be criticised for not having it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #76
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It’s hard nowadays to put character into cars. Manufacturers try and please everyone.

Forums like this show what happens if manufactures try and do anything even slightly individual or different, they get slaughtered for it.

Mini is an exception, they’ve always had character and would be criticised for not having it.
I think everyone wants to make the best car in class. Sometimes its better to do some of it really well and be a less good all rounder, I think that is Mini's approach. Golf R is a better all round hot hatch and not dissimilar price (ignore that it is being replaced).... but if you love Minis you probably despise the concept of the Golf, clinical all round sensibly good.

Its good that companies like BMW keep sub brands to be able to do the character piece and offer less all round sensibleness. Surprised VAG having further differentiated Seat or Skoda to have more character, and wonder what PSA will do when they also have Fiat Chrysler Jeep in the fold, along with Vauxhall, Citroen, Pug, DS etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #77
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Sent email to confirm order. Hopefully get confirmation back tomorrow.

Slight change in spec, don’t need leather upgrade, the standard sports seats are better after trying both.

Colour changed to the below, others were right, black with red is too boy racer. Decided upon white silver with black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
F20MAW73874.50
      08-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #78
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Slight change in spec, don’t need leather upgrade, the standard sports seats are better after trying both.

Colour changed to the below, others were right, black with red is too boy racer. Decided upon white silver with black.
Looks good. and a few quid saved which is even better....

Black roof and mirrors with black wheels and save another £500 ?
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #79
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Looks good. and a few quid saved which is even better....

Black roof and mirrors with black wheels and save another £500 ?
Let me think about how I feel about those black wheels, erm, no.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:23 AM   #80
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
It's hard nowadays to put character into cars. Manufacturers try and please everyone.

Mini is an exception, they've always had character and would be criticised for not having it.
I think everyone wants to make the best car in class. Sometimes its better to do some of it really well and be a less good all rounder, I think that is Mini's approach. Golf R is a better all round hot hatch and not dissimilar price (ignore that it is being replaced).... but if you love Minis you probably despise the concept of the Golf, clinical all round sensibly good.

Its good that companies like BMW keep sub brands to be able to do the character piece and offer less all round sensibleness. Surprised VAG having further differentiated Seat or Skoda to have more character, and wonder what PSA will do when they also have Fiat Chrysler Jeep in the fold, along with Vauxhall, Citroen, Pug, DS etc...
With VAG, I can never escape the conclusion that if it's got four cylinders, I might as well have the Seat/Skoda. GTI aside.

To be honest, the whole group just bores me rigid. I, too, do not understand why a Seat cannot be more interesting in a sporty sense and a Skoda more interesting in a robust/comfy sense. The Yeti is my standout car from the entire VAG group in the last couple of decades. Which isn't to say that I don't like the GTI, Tig and Q5/7 for what they do in their spaces.

But I definitely value character - my favourite two cars ever being a Citroen BX and a LR. And every Fiat 500 I see still makes me smile.

Minis are great, look full of character. Although a gen 1 Clubman Cooper I had for a few days wasn't as good as I expected. Too much time on the motorway though, so not a fair test.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2020, 01:24 AM   #81
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:

Looks good Alex. Congrats 👍

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 01:54 AM   #82
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
With VAG, I can never escape the conclusion that if it's got four cylinders, I might as well have the Seat/Skoda. GTI aside.

To be honest, the whole group just bores me rigid. I, too, do not understand why a Seat cannot be more interesting in a sporty sense and a Skoda more interesting in a robust/comfy sense. The Yeti is my standout car from the entire VAG group in the last couple of decades. Which isn't to say that I don't like the GTI, Tig and Q5/7 for what they do in their spaces.

But I definitely value character - my favourite two cars ever being a Citroen BX and a LR. And every Fiat 500 I see still makes me smile.

Minis are great, look full of character. Although a gen 1 Clubman Cooper I had for a few days wasn't as good as I expected. Too much time on the motorway though, so not a fair test.
I am with you on Yeti, and to an extent the Roomster. Not matched elsewhere in the group and better for it...

I always wanted a BX GTi 16v. Instead I had a Xantia TD for about 6 weeks - changed jobs - which was interesting and better than the 406 that replaced it but not as good to punt along as the 405 estate and 306 hatch that preceded it...

R53/56 Minis were not motorway cars. Later F56 and offshoots are better...
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 03:07 AM   #83
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That looks much nicer to my eye than black, hope all goes smoothly with the order!
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 05:08 AM   #84
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:

Love silver with black trim. Cracking looking car Alex

Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #85
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

Although the mini isn’t for me, I must admit it does look good in silver with those options
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #86
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Andy View Post
Although the mini isn’t for me, I must admit it does look good in silver with those options
Thanks. Mini isn’t for me either, it’s for the wife. Bet I go out and have a drive in it occasionally though, it was fast and a fun drive on my test drive.

Living on the edge of the Peaks there are a lot of tempting roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #87
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Thanks. Mini isn’t for me either, it’s for the wife. Bet I go out and have a drive in it occasionally though, it was fast and a fun drive on my test drive.

Living on the edge of the Peaks there are a lot of tempting roads.
Cooper loaned me one a year ago when the 6gt went in for a replacement windscreen (warranty hence done by bmw) and although I only had it for a 24hr stint, it was a laugh hooning about.

Last edited by M2Andy; 08-24-2020 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 03:50 AM   #88
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

JCW comes with the new digital dash now also if I'm correct?
Unfortunately this offer is delivery by 30th December and in stuck with my PCH till Feb. Hoping this offer is around next quarter with a 1st quarter 2021 delivery.
Appreciate 0