F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Bathroom refurb expected costs
GetBMWParts

11-17-2020, 05:13 AM   #23
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

As an indiction i guess... Back in July I had a new 3 piece bathroom fitted (bathtub, thermostatic shower, screen, basin and toilet) included a towell rad which is both off the CH and electric (for when the heating is off) located in NW london. Floor and walls fully tiled (i supplied the tiles) - and 6 downward spots installed (inc electrical safty certificate)

Used a builder - which i have used for many years - certainly not mates rates (i suspect as he is my go to i probably pay more!)

Total cost was £2200 - and was done over 3 days - as i have a tenent already in the cost will go on my tax return in April.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18750.00
      11-17-2020, 05:14 AM   #24
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Christmas is a big ask I think, but January doable.

Ian, if you want to try a good agent I’ve just seen the best 3 local ones. Redbrik, Dales and Peaks and Wards. I went with Wards and would recommend them.

Managed to negotiate her down to 0.5% and no upfront marketing charge. Just a £200 penalty if we withdrew for the marketing.

First met her last Monday, pics and EPC done Tuesday and on Rightmove by Thursday, so moved pretty quickly.

If in Brookfield catchment there’s a lot of demand at the moment. Bathroom not worth doing if you really do want to sell.
Yes you are almost certainly right, i have just looked at the calender, i thought is was early November still............... this lockdown is scrambling my brain
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:17 AM   #25
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Whatever you do DONT use VictoriaPlumb.

Go to a decent local outlet, pay a bit more if needs be, especially if you plan on renting.
Victoria Plum is different to Victorian Plumbing. I agree, don’t use Victoria Plum. In fact Victorian Plumbing made Victoria Plum remove the b from Plumb as they were around first and sued!

If doing it up to rent or sell not much point in forking our stupid money. I bought from Victorian Plumbing last time and just made sure I didn’t go for the cheap stuff, checked glass thickness, good quality bath etc. No complaints at all in quality. And if recommended by the fitter, it must be ok, they don’t like fitting crap stuff, makes their job harder.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18750.00
      11-17-2020, 05:19 AM   #26
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Victoria Plumb is different to Victorian Plumbing. I agree, don’t use Victoria Plumb.

If doing it up to rent or sell not much point in forking our stupid money. I bought from Victorian Plumbing last time and just made sure I didn’t go for the cheap stuff, checked glass thickness, good quality bath etc. No complaints at all in quality. And if recommended by the fitter, it must be ok, they don’t like fitting crap stuff, makes their job harder.
On the contrary if you are renting fit decent hardware, if selling then any old flash jerry built shite from VictoriaPlumb will do.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:22 AM   #27
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
On the contrary if you are renting fit decent hardware, if selling then any old flash jerry built shite from VictoriaPlumb will do.
As I said, Victoria Plum is a different company to the one I’m recommending and the one recommended by the fitter.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:23 AM   #28
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Christmas is a big ask I think, but January doable.

Ian, if you want to try a good agent I’ve just seen the best 3 local ones. Redbrik, Dales and Peaks and Wards. I went with Wards and would recommend them.

Managed to negotiate her down to 0.5% and no upfront marketing charge. Just a £200 penalty if we withdrew for the marketing.

First met her last Monday, pics and EPC done Tuesday and on Rightmove by Thursday, so moved pretty quickly.

If in Brookfield catchment there’s a lot of demand at the moment. Bathroom not worth doing if you really do want to sell.
Redbrik are current agents and Dales and Peaks is a mate of my daughters, so would be one of those, Redbrik are appraising now. I dont do percentages so its a fixed fee up to a price and then a percentage of anything above that to encourage them to get best price.

House needs a bit of kerb appeal after 5 years nearly of rental and bathroom and a couple of carpets are key elements so will do regardless. Not really fussed about selling - its decent return on my investment (part is mortgaged) and it will probably go up further in next 10 years before I retire.

Besides if I had lots of cash I would no doubt waste it on cars! But whilst its empty I always look at both options and probably go for first taker! Scientific it aint....
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:28 AM   #29
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As I said, Victoria Plum is a different company to the one I’m recommending and the one recommended by the fitter.
I bow to your superior knowledge.

I am in awe at your amazing depth of knowledge and expertise on subjects that range from Cars, Houses, Plumbing, Politics, Green Issues, Sports, Mental Health etc etc when you spend what seems like every waking hour on here spouting shite
Appreciate 2
Broncho2310.00
JNW13122.00
      11-17-2020, 06:01 AM   #30
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Quote:

I am in awe at your amazing depth of knowledge and expertise on subjects that range from Cars, Houses, Plumbing, Politics, Green Issues, Sports, Mental Health etc etc when you spend what seems like every waking hour on here spouting shite
:
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #31
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Quote:

That did genuinely make me laugh out loud when I read it!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #32
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Redbrik are current agents and Dales and Peaks is a mate of my daughters, so would be one of those, Redbrik are appraising now. I dont do percentages so its a fixed fee up to a price and then a percentage of anything above that to encourage them to get best price.

House needs a bit of kerb appeal after 5 years nearly of rental and bathroom and a couple of carpets are key elements so will do regardless. Not really fussed about selling - its decent return on my investment (part is mortgaged) and it will probably go up further in next 10 years before I retire.

Besides if I had lots of cash I would no doubt waste it on cars! But whilst its empty I always look at both options and probably go for first taker! Scientific it aint....
Watch Dales and Peaks, they’ve put a few on way too high recently and they’re not selling. Tom came across as a bit of a flash Harry to me.

Redbrik are good, but wouldn’t go to fixed or less than 0.75% plus a few hundred for marketing when when I pushed them to match Wards. Their standard is 1%.

But, if you already have that agreement with them, good work.

When viewing I found Redbrik slow to respond, a big agent locally and only one person in each office looking after each house. Good practice I guess, but slow to respond if the person is tied up. Wards have been really quick up to now, so happy with choice.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18750.00
      11-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #33
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Wtf are you going on about? Is pointing out that I’m talking about a different company to the one you’re banging on about controversial in some way?

It’s not complicated.

Victoria Plum

Victorian Plumbing

Spot the difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #34
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wtf are you going on about? Is pointing out that I’m talking about a different company to the one you’re banging on about controversial in some way?

It’s not complicated.

Victoria Plum

Victorian Plumbing

Spot the difference.
I never referred to your post, not sure where you are coming from. My response to you was centred around fitting decent 'gear' in a rented property.

You seem to be making an argument out of nothing, but as we all know you are an expert at that. Read the whole thread would be my recommendation.

Does your boss know you spend all day on here or is he like the rest of us, worn down to such an extent that he has given up!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #35
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I never referred to your post, not sure where you are coming from. My response to you was centred around fitting decent 'gear' in a rented property.

You seem to be making an argument out of nothing, but as we all know you are an expert at that. Read the whole thread would be my recommendation.
Ditto. I said I agreed with you on Victoria Plum, did you miss that? And then just pointed out that Victorian Plumbing, who I had already mentioned, was different so the OP didn’t rule them out after reading your post.

And then you carried on for some reason.

I suggest you go out for a walk or a run, see if you can shake that chip off your shoulder.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #36
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ditto. I said I agreed with you on Victoria Plum, did you miss that? And then just pointed out that Victorian Plumbing, who I had already mentioned, was different so the OP didn’t rule them out after reading your post.

And then you carried on for some reason.

I suggest you go out for a walk or a run, see if you can shake that chip off your shoulder.
I give up, READ THE THREAD, i wasnt remotely interested in your friend and his plumbing sources.

Thats me out on this thread, a discussion on here with you would need far more than a run to be purged from the system.

Over to you for 'The Oracles Definitive Summation' that all must obey and adhere to................
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #37
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I give up, READ THE THREAD, i wasnt remotely interested in your friend and his plumbing sources.

Thats me out on this thread, a discussion on here with you would need far more than a run to be purged from the system.

Over to you for 'The Oracles Definitive Summation' that all must obey and adhere to................
I read the thread. I agreed with you on Victoria Plum. I clarified because the names sound similar, not just for your benefit, it’s not all about you. Get a grip man.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #38
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

When I’m the only one able to actually help the OP with local recommendations for plumbers if staying, or agents if not, fantastic that you’ve chosen to pick a fight on this occasion.

Maybe your unsubstantiated rants have helped the OP, not sure.

Glad I took my conversation with him offline to avoid this.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18750.00
      11-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #39
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
When I’m the only one able to actually help the OP with local recommendations for plumbers if staying, or agents if not, fantastic that you’ve chosen to pick a fight on this occasion.

Maybe your unsubstantiated rants have helped the OP, not sure.

Glad I took my conversation with him offline to avoid this.
I am very grateful for the help and the whole thread has kept me amused... shall I start one on laminate flooring and see how that goes!
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #40
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I am very grateful for the help and the whole thread has kept me amused... shall I start one on laminate flooring and see how that goes!
Please do. Reading this has brightened up an otherwise shite day

The answer you're looking for is oiled engineered oak btw. Unless you're renting or selling, in which case mdf will do just fine
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18750.00
      11-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #41
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Please do. Reading this has brightened up an otherwise shite day

The answer you're looking for is oiled engineered oak btw. Unless you're renting or selling, in which case mdf will do just fine
Oiled engineered oak sounds expensive. I reckon for selling I need amtico but if renting Karndean.... any other offers
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #42
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Sorry to hijack a thread, but it got me thinking about my bathroom.

We currently have separate toilet and bathroom, with a brick (non-supporting) wall between them.

Anyone ever done such a thing and taken the wall down between?
We'd then board up one of the doors with stud wall to make it look like it was always one bathroom, put in a new bathroom suite and tile floor and walls, new towel radiator (probably electric rather than on the central heating) and new lighting & extractor fan. Would probably replace the double glazing in there at the same time as that's looking a bit old now.

Nothing too high-end as the plan is to move to somewhere a bit bigger in 8-10 years, so it's not our "forever home". Also not worried about anything like underfloor heating which I know would add to the cost.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #43
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
Sorry to hijack a thread, but it got me thinking about my bathroom.

We currently have separate toilet and bathroom, with a brick (non-supporting) wall between them.

Anyone ever done such a thing and taken the wall down between?
We'd then board up one of the doors with stud wall to make it look like it was always one bathroom, put in a new bathroom suite and tile floor and walls, new towel radiator (probably electric rather than on the central heating) and new lighting & extractor fan. Would probably replace the double glazing in there at the same time as that's looking a bit old now.

Nothing too high-end as the plan is to move to somewhere a bit bigger in 8-10 years, so it's not our "forever home". Also not worried about anything like underfloor heating which I know would add to the cost.
Yep, my Mum did it, creates an amazing amount of extra space, and you can actually get to the sink after using the loo without touching a door handle.....

Wont cost much more than just refurbing a single room... so somewhere between 4k and 16k based on the above!!
Appreciate 1
BBri89512.50
      11-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #44
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

We used City Plumbing. Lots of them have a small showroom attached to where the trades buy their stuff. Branches everywhere.

Similar sized bathroom to OP was £7k all in... showroom guy worked off my plans and recommended a fitter and they worked in tandem, so any faulty stuff was replaced no issue and we moved some units around.

Fully tiled, bath, electric shower, Roca fittings, new walls, ceiling, lighting, expensive cabinet, could have spent more, could have spent loads less.

Its ideal that the fitter has an account with the supplier so they can sort out any issues.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18750.00