F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > PS2 N55 435xi MHD OTS Mini Review (2 months of use)
Extreme Powerhouse

11-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
bsebou21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

PS2 N55 435xi MHD OTS Mini Review (2 months of use)

NOTE: stock fuel system for these first 2 months. Just last week I put in a Low pressure fuel pump for reasons you will read below.

Mods: intake, catless DP, intercooler, CP, PS2 w/ bigger inlet, one step colder spark plugs gapped 0.020

0 issues with the off the shelf MHD tune so far except for the top of second gear. DocVu tuning looked at my log and said that the car was requesting way more fuel than my stock fuel pump was able to provide, causing lots of backfire and break up at the top of second gear. I have since installed a walbro450 low pressure fuel pump, which seems to have fixed the issue. Have not had the car on a dyno, but it feels slightly faster than when my car was on an E30 mix without the PS2 kit.

I will be looking into a custom tune to make better use of the bigger turbo and new LPFP. All in all, the MHD OTS tune for PS2 is great if you're looking to finally get the car running safely and reliably and quickly. If you want to make the most out of your turbo, still keep MHD so that you can use it to download custom tunes that you will get from another tuner of your choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

FYI, you are going to run out of HPFP if you start pushing the PS2 with a custom tune and ethanol mix. You shouldn't have ran out of LPFP before HPFP unless your LPFP had an issue. Also, if you do start pushing that LPFP (i.e., with HPFP also upgraded and running ethanol), you might want to look into upgrading EKP.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
bsebou21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
FYI, you are going to run out of HPFP if you start pushing the PS2 with a custom tune and ethanol mix. You shouldn't have ran out of LPFP before HPFP unless your LPFP had an issue. Also, if you do start pushing that LPFP (i.e., with HPFP also upgraded and running ethanol), you might want to look into upgrading EKP.
I talked to Precision Raceworks about an EKP upgrade for the walbro 450 and they said it was not necessary unless you upgrade to the hellcat walbro 525 pump. I would not be surprised if my LPFP was having issues. I have plans on buying a HPFP next spring. Winter is starting up in michigan and the car will be sitting for a few months. But, upgrading to the walbro 450 did solve my fueling issues that i was having nonetheless. Im not planning on pushing too hard without a HPFP but the OTS MHD tune is a bit lackluster even with a stock HPFP. I appreciate the heads up about the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsebou21 View Post
I talked to Precision Raceworks about an EKP upgrade for the walbro 450 and they said it was not necessary unless you upgrade to the hellcat walbro 525 pump. I would not be surprised if my LPFP was having issues. I have plans on buying a HPFP next spring. Winter is starting up in michigan and the car will be sitting for a few months. But, upgrading to the walbro 450 did solve my fueling issues that i was having nonetheless. Im not planning on pushing too hard without a HPFP but the OTS MHD tune is a bit lackluster even with a stock HPFP. I appreciate the heads up about the HPFP.
Good info about the 450.

And yeah, the MHD OTS PS2 map is pretty tame and conservative; lots more on the table with a custom tune, especially with upgraded HPFP or something like meth.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I have been running the mhd ps2 ots map for about a week now and my car runs perfect. You can tell it's super conservative and the turbo has a ton more to give.

Also if your considering buying a hpfp November 27th is a great time as dorch is having a black friday sale. I been waiting 2 months for the sale as I'm going to be getting the n55 stg2 hpfp for a discounted rate of $1444. That's a savings of $255. If stg1 is enough for your needs it's going to be only $1019. I use the word only rather lightly but it's a good deal. Just a fyi
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #6
bsebou21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Good info about the 450.

And yeah, the MHD OTS PS2 map is pretty tame and conservative; lots more on the table with a custom tune, especially with upgraded HPFP or something like meth.
Excited to see how the car perform on E85 with the high pressure fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
bsebou21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post
I have been running the mhd ps2 ots map for about a week now and my car runs perfect. You can tell it's super conservative and the turbo has a ton more to give.

Also if your considering buying a hpfp November 27th is a great time as dorch is having a black friday sale. I been waiting 2 months for the sale as I'm going to be getting the n55 stg2 hpfp for a discounted rate of $1444. That's a savings of $255. If stg1 is enough for your needs it's going to be only $1019. I use the word only rather lightly but it's a good deal. Just a fyi
I was not aware of this, thank you very much for the info. My ultimate goal is about 500whp. Ill have to do a bit more research on which pump suits my needs the best.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was not aware of this, thank you very much for the info. My ultimate goal is about 500whp. Ill have to do a bit more research on which pump suits my needs the best.
No problem man. My goals are 500+whp as well and I plan on running around a e50 tune to get there. Dorch recommended the stg2 for my needs due to ethanol content but if you don't plan on running a high e mix stg1 should probably be alright. I'd still do your own research as I went back and forth multiple times hoping I could get away with stg1. What I discovered is dorch's stg1 may be just enough but if it is not then Im screwed. So I decided to just cough up the extra cash and go the overkill route and get their stg2 hpfp.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
bsebou21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No problem man. My goals are 500+whp as well and I plan on running around a e50 tune to get there. Dorch recommended the stg2 for my needs due to ethanol content but if you don't plan on running a high e mix stg1 should probably be alright. I'd still do your own research as I went back and forth multiple times hoping I could get away with stg1. What I discovered is dorch's stg1 may be just enough but if it is not then Im screwed. So I decided to just cough up the extra cash and go the overkill route and get their stg2 hpfp.
As of now I am leaning towards the overkill route as well because I do not wanna go with Meth or PI if I don't have to! lol
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #10
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As of now I am leaning towards the overkill route as well because I do not wanna go with Meth or PI if I don't have to! lol
Totally agree I did not want to deal with the added complexity and tuning difficulty of a port injection setup. So it is worth it to me to have to spend a bit more for a dme controlled hpfp. Don't get me wrong even on sale it still hurts to drop 1444 bucks on a fuel pump. I mean that's a bit more then half of what I spent on the ps2
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
bsebou21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree I did not want to deal with the added complexity and tuning difficulty of a port injection setup. So it is worth it to me to have to spend a bit more for a dme controlled hpfp. Don't get me wrong even on sale it still hurts to drop 1444 bucks on a fuel pump. I mean that's a bit more then half of what I spent on the ps2
Yes sir, me and you have the same exact mindset on this. lol
Appreciate 1