F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > [NEED HELP] Hardware disable ASD leads to no sound
GetBMWParts

04-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
anleizhang
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

[NEED HELP] Hardware disable ASD leads to no sound

Hi all,

It has been a long time that I installed my bimmertech amp and just loving it.

But I have a question here and hope you can help. It has been annoying that the BMW Active sound design generate stupid noise through sound system and the sound was amplified after the new amp installed. The other day, I followed an youtube video and disconnect one connector (the one between the amp and the back of taillight) to hardware disable the ASD signal to the amp. This connector is what I disconnected.

But after doing that, I totally lost all sound, so now no sound at all. I am thinking if something I did wrong or maybe there are some settings i need to change to the amp so the music can come back. If no luck, I might need to re-connect that connector back.

Hope you could share me some ideas about what went wrong.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:39 AM   #2
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

can you not code the ASD to 'off' rather than physically disconnect the cable from the amp?
that would only disable the ASD ?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Not sure what sort of car you have but you can't just disconnect it like that. The audio signals from the head unit pass through the ASD box and then into the amp (old or new). Pulling out the plug breaks all these connections so that now nothing is reaching the amp. To achieve what you're trying to do you need Technic's bypass harness which loops the input pins on the ASD plug back to the outputs so that the audio signals go direct from the head unit to the amp and the output of the ASD goes nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
anleizhang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
can you not code the ASD to 'off' rather than physically disconnect the cable from the amp?
that would only disable the ASD ?
Yes. I now really think I should start learing to use coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
anleizhang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
Not sure what sort of car you have but you can't just disconnect it like that. The audio signals from the head unit pass through the ASD box and then into the amp (old or new). Pulling out the plug breaks all these connections so that now nothing is reaching the amp. To achieve what you're trying to do you need Technic's bypass harness which loops the input pins on the ASD plug back to the outputs so that the audio signals go direct from the head unit to the amp and the output of the ASD goes nowhere.
Thanks for the input. will get one of those connector.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Coding it off works too, but the bypass harness will give a cleaner sound, since the signal is no longer going through the ASD box which adds electrical noise even if it's coded to not mix in any engine sounds. Mine (and a BimmerTech amp) is still waiting for me to have a spare day to install it, so I haven't proven this myself yet, but intuitively it would seem right.
Appreciate 0