F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > “Download and install BMW connected app"
GetBMWParts

04-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
rdabbm
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Plus

“Download and install BMW connected app"

Just changed from and iPhone X to a Huawei p30 Pro and knew something like this was coming, but wasn’t prepared for this level of interoperability.

What I’m working with;

F31 2015 with NBT (Nav Pro).
Huawei P30 Pro.

Previously had everything working (mostly) ok with plugging my iPhone in however now when I install the ConnectedDrive app on my android, plug my phone in I either get these situations:

*Download and install BMW Connected App from Google Play Store - This is whilst I’m staring at the BMW connected App open on my phone.

*Opening up Media>USB I get a message about my device being in accessory mode and I need to can’t transfer media files despite me just wanting to play my music through USB from Spotify.

Spotify is the primary purpose of connectivity, Yes - USB streaming works fine albeit doesn’t seem to show album artwork as it used to with my iPhone however I used to have my music and charging through USB before however now it seems to be 10x more difficult.

Any suggestions of others who have android (Huawei specifics would be useful) or have seen this before? I’ve tried installing the app whilst having USB plugged in but that doesn’t seem to work either .

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Cam428
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Unfortunately, BMW has taken the position that their cars should only offer full features to iPhone user. The best example of this was when they offered Apple Carplay, but said they would never offer Android Auto. The BMW Connected app offers almost no benefits when connected via USB to the car with an Android phone. While you said that you're playing Spotify over USB, I think it's actually over bluetooth.

The best you can do is continue to play Spotify over bluetooth and use the voice assistant on the phone to select playlists, tracks, etc. No album artwork or iDrive controls will be available.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Album artwork doesn't transfer since the protocol for meta data over BT does not allow NBT to read and open. I have tried everything to get it to work, but alas when a friend comes in my car with an iPhone they have ZERO issues with all features including album artwork and other features such as your USB issues.
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 0