F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 435d 0-100kph, 1/4 w. & w/o LC after remap; & IC upgrade?
Studio RSR

03-29-2019, 03:39 AM   #1
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

435d 0-100kph, 1/4 w. & w/o LC after remap; & IC upgrade?

Hi all,

Got a remap on my 435d recently. There was a company offering covering the warranty so I went with them despite the fact it's not the most aggresive remap. Car should make 262Kw(352hp)/717Nm(529ft lb).

With LC:
0-100kph: 4.31s best - sometimes up to 4.6s (depends on shifting)
1/4: 12.46s @ 176kph(109.6mph) - sometimes up to 12.6 (depends on shifting)

Question 1: Is this representative of the performance I should have?
Question 2: Did anybody experiment with shifting earlier? I seem to be gettting a bit better times when I manually shift around 4500 instead of letting sport+ go to 5000. Thinking of getting the alpina gearbox remap for this

Without LC the times are much worse even in sport - 5s to 100kph since the boost doesnt come early.
Question 3: Is this correct with the power I have? What discrepancy do you get with and w/o LC?

I was thinking of doing an IC upgrade to Wagner Evo 2 and going back for remap. I don't want more torque - 720 is max I feel comfortable with since I push the car quite often. But would like to get more hp.
Question 4: Do you think that would work?

Thanks a ton!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:43 AM   #2
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1990 View Post
Hi all,

Got a remap on my 435d recently. There was a company offering covering the warranty so I went with them despite the fact it's not the most aggresive remap. Car should make 262Kw(352hp)/717Nm(529ft lb).

With LC:

Question 2: Did anybody experiment with shifting earlier? I seem to be gettting a bit better times when I manually shift around 4500 instead of letting sport+ go to 5000. Thinking of getting the alpina gearbox remap for this

Without LC the times are much worse even in sport - 5s to 100kph since the boost doesnt come early.
Question 3: Is this correct with the power I have? What discrepancy do you get with and w/o LC?

I was thinking of doing an IC upgrade to Wagner Evo 2 and going back for remap. I don't want more torque - 720 is max I feel comfortable with since I push the car quite often. But would like to get more hp.

Thanks a ton!!!
Hi there.
Sounds quite ok with only a map and no other mods.
I'm considering the same....xHP map on the gearbox, Wagner IC and a map.

Just a quick question....what are your thoughts on the transfer case? It's known to a bit sensitive. Have you done anything to prevent early failure on that one?

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:52 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Lots of points to cover from your post.

"Car should make..." : Did you had before and after dyno runs to show what power and torque the engine was producing as stock, and after the remap ? It's important to verify that you got a decent bang for your buck !

Was this a generic remap file, or did the company/individual spend the time to customise the map ?

352bhp is pretty conservative for the 435d - 380-400 seems to be common. Stock is published as 313, and BMW tends to be quite conservative in its published figures. The stock power output for my 330d is 258, and it made 274 on a Dyno Dynamics unit (which in my experience with the particular operator tends to read low, or realistic, depending on one's viewpoint). It's since had MPPK and now an independent remap.

I can't comment on the acceleration figures as although I do track my car, I don't run timing gear or use LC.

Power is a product of torque and rpm. Flashing the AT with the Alpina map will tend to utilise the torque more than it does today. If you don't want to increase torque any further then you may need to consider how you are going to achieve a top-end power increase.

I've seen videos where, seemingly, simply adding a decent IC increases power output by 15-20bhp without a further remap, but I'd make sure to have an in-depth conversation with the tuner and really investigate it. The biggest benefit of a larger intercooler is a reduction in heat soak which can occur on extended high load running, i.e. intensive and repeated acceleration on track.

A larger intercooler may help the engine produce greater torque at a given rpm , which would help to produce increased power at that rpm, but it would be prudent to get a realistic expectation regarding headline torque and power outputs if you don't want to extend the rev range. In Sport+ mode the 30d tends to shift up at 4,600rpm; the 35d at 4,900.

I'd be interested to hear how it works out. Post your results if/when you've got them.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Hi there.
Sounds quite ok with only a map and no other mods.
I'm considering the same....xHP map on the gearbox, Wagner IC and a map.

Just a quick question....what are your thoughts on the transfer case? It's known to a bit sensitive. Have you done anything to prevent early failure on that one?
Hey. I'm quite new to this so not sure what the xHP map is? Heard good things about Alpina flash (shifts lower, faster etc.) so that's why I'm considering it.

First time I'm hearing about issues with transfer case - didn't even know what it was . Can you elaborate on issues? I know that the ZF8HP70 has limit of 700Nm and you don't want to go much over if you use it a lot. So that's my limitations. Not sure what else I could do
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Lots of points to cover from your post.

"Car should make..." : Did you had before and after dyno runs to show what power and torque the engine was producing as stock, and after the remap ? It's important to verify that you got a decent bang for your buck !

Was this a generic remap file, or did the company/individual spend the time to customise the map ?

352bhp is pretty conservative for the 435d - 380-400 seems to be common. Stock is published as 313, and BMW tends to be quite conservative in its published figures. The stock power output for my 330d is 258, and it made 274 on a Dyno Dynamics unit (which in my experience with the particular operator tends to read low, or realistic, depending on one's viewpoint). It's since had MPPK and now an independent remap.

I can't comment on the acceleration figures as although I do track my car, I don't run timing gear or use LC.

Power is a product of torque and rpm. Flashing the AT with the Alpina map will tend to utilise the torque more than it does today. If you don't want to increase torque any further then you may need to consider how you are going to achieve a top-end power increase.

I've seen videos where, seemingly, simply adding a decent IC increases power output by 15-20bhp without a further remap, but I'd make sure to have an in-depth conversation with the tuner and really investigate it. The biggest benefit of a larger intercooler is a reduction in heat soak which can occur on extended high load running, i.e. intensive and repeated acceleration on track.

A larger intercooler may help the engine produce greater torque at a given rpm , which would help to produce increased power at that rpm, but it would be prudent to get a realistic expectation regarding headline torque and power outputs if you don't want to extend the rev range. In Sport+ mode the 30d tends to shift up at 4,600rpm; the 35d at 4,900.

I'd be interested to hear how it works out. Post your results if/when you've got them.
I got a dyno before and after. But I haven't verified it independently - that's why . Not sure what they use. I would think they have something and then play with it around. At least they sounded like they did when they talked to me about it.

350hp is low I agree. For some reason all the companies here in Czech republic offer around this range. They said that the car before made just 302hp - not even the 313 so basically it was 50 up. Not bad, but I'd better like 370-380.

I know that power is torque and rpm. What confuses me is that sometimes one changes without the other. E.g. in the M5 competition you get extra HP, but no extra torque. I am thinking thats because you get more torque at higher RPM where before you were falling off?

In essense - to get more HP I'd have to limit the extra torgue down low and just add where Im now dropping.

For the IC - I have to ask them if that wont remove warranty and if they could get more out of the car. For me thats important
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey. I'm quite new to this so not sure what the xHP map is? Heard good things about Alpina flash (shifts lower, faster etc.) so that's why I'm considering it.

First time I'm hearing about issues with transfer case - didn't even know what it was . Can you elaborate on issues? I know that the ZF8HP70 has limit of 700Nm and you don't want to go much over if you use it a lot. So that's my limitations. Not sure what else I could do
Being a 435d it has x-drive.
To distribute the power from the engine to the front and rear axel, there is a transfer case that tend to be a bit sensitive:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1407191

Not sure what the reason is. I know you don't wanna put on tires with more than 1% difference in circumference.
And I suspect more power and torque also might be a problem.
That said several members in here has 380-400hp and not reporting any issues.
Regarding the ZF8 it officially can cope with 700Nm. But I would guess its a bit higher than that. As long as you change the oil and filter as you said. It might be the same with the transfer case.

xHP is new software for the ZF8:
https://www.xhpflashtool.com/

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #7
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Power and torque in the range discussed is no problem for the power train. Badly mismatched tyres i.e. brand, pressure, wear and lots of hard launch control runs are what does the damage to the transfer box. Look after the car and it will last with few issues. I have yet to have mine mapped and fit my csf intercooler as its needs a few more miles on it from new but my mates had that done over 40k miles ago and goes like a train with no problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:44 AM   #8
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Being a 435d it has x-drive.
To distribute the power from the engine to the front and rear axel, there is a transfer case that tend to be a bit sensitive:

Not sure what the reason is. I know you don't wanna put on tires with more than 1% difference in circumference.
And I suspect more power and torque also might be a problem.
That said several members in here has 380-400hp and not reporting any issues.
Regarding the ZF8 it officially can cope with 700Nm. But I would guess its a bit higher than that. As long as you change the oil and filter as you said. It might be the same with the transfer case.

xHP is new software for the ZF8:
https://www.xhpflashtool.com/
I see. Why would anybody put tires without the same circumference on a car? I assume when you buy set of 4 tires, then it should have the same no? Even the staggered setups. How would you then prevent this?

Thanks for the note on the xHP . I would still rather go for Alpina map not to mess with this myself
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Power and torque in the range discussed is no problem for the power train. Badly mismatched tyres i.e. brand, pressure, wear and lots of hard launch control runs are what does the damage to the transfer box. Look after the car and it will last with few issues. I have yet to have mine mapped and fit my csf intercooler as its needs a few more miles on it from new but my mates had that done over 40k miles ago and goes like a train with no problems at all.
Thanks! What do you mean mismatched tyres brand? In other words - if I want to protect the transfer box, I should:
1) Have the same tire brand on all 4
2) have the right tyre pressure - which I will find on the tyres themselves?
3) Have the same amount of wear on all 4 wheels - this should not be that hard with xDrive early on no?
4) Anything else?

Will you be doing the IC yourself? I'm not that handy with cars and have trouble finding a place that would just swap it . It doesn't look as hard, but don't want to mess things up. FYI - I've somewhere read that the CSF is the worst of the bunch. Don't remember the thread though. It was between Wagner and one more
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see. Why would anybody put tires without the same circumference on a car? I assume when you buy set of 4 tires, then it should have the same no? Even the staggered setups. How would you then prevent this?

Thanks for the note on the xHP . I would still rather go for Alpina map not to mess with this myself
Well, normally I would go for 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 in the back for my car, but the difference on those to sizes are over the recomended max for an x-drive.
You can out them on the car but the theory is that the sizes will put on extra wear and tear on the transfer case.

xHP is a piece of cake to put on yourself. If you can use a smartphone or a tablet you can put on xHP if you want it.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you by any chance know the brand of the transfer case?
And what torquelimits it has?

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #12
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Well, normally I would go for 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 in the back for my car, but the difference on those to sizes are over the recomended max for an x-drive.
You can out them on the car but the theory is that the sizes will put on extra wear and tear on the transfer case.

xHP is a piece of cake to put on yourself. If you can use a smartphone or a tablet you can put on xHP if you want it.
If you increase the aspect ratio to 40 on the front and 35 on the rear those tyre widths are matched for total diameter on 19" rims.

https://tiresize.com
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
If you increase the aspect ratio to 40 on the front and 35 on the rear those tyre widths are matched for total diameter on 19" rims.

https://tiresize.com
Yep, true, or even better, go 235/35 front and 275/30 rear.
The diff will then be 0% front and rear.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #14
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

By mis matched tyres I mean different brands or even models within brand, different load ratings or tyres that are not BMW recommended. i.e. star rated tyres. All will have the effect of different rotational speeds of individual wheels causing the transfer box clutches to have to work ALL the time to compensate rather than only when cornering or loss of traction by a wheel(s). This will be exacerbated during fast / slippery driving conditions.

Differing tyre pressures and tread depths also has the same effect of meaning wheels have different rotational circumferences.

When I bought my new 335 Xdrive I queried stories I had heard about this with the BMW expert at the dealership he got me the following information.......straight from the horses mouth......makes it quite clear......but you won't find it in any brochure before you buy!!!!

"The following information taken direct from AIR states a maximum 2mm between all tyres on an X Drive vehicle.
Its in black and white direct from BMW. Problem solved .
Repair instruction
Notes and specifications for tyre / wheel exchange
3612... | REP-ALG-RAGRP36-3600_REIFENTAUSCH - V.6
ui-button
General:
•The tyre size, manufacturer and tyre tread must be the same on one axle
•To meet the BMW standards, the vehicle should be equipped with tyres from the same manufacturer and with the same tyre tread (tyres approved by BMW) on all 4 wheels
•The difference in tyre tread depth on one axle must not exceed 2 mm (control quality of suspension control systems and wheel alignment requirement)
•The tyres with the higher tread depths must be mounted on the rear axle
•The DOT age difference must not exceed 4 years
•The tyre pressure must be adjusted when the tyres are exchanged
•Wheel exchange between the axles
The wheels may be exchanged between axles to achieve even abrasion. However, BMW does not recommend switching the front wheels to the rear or vice-versa.
The wheel exchange may lead to the following customer complaints:

complaints regarding acoustics

Risk of increased lane groove sensitivity
Compliance with the following requirements is required when exchanging wheels between the axles:

Assess the wear pattern

The tread difference between the front and rear wheels must not exceed a maximum of 2-3 mm

Exchange the wheels between the axles every 5000 Km
**Additionally for all-wheel drive vehicles: **
•The tyre size, manufacturer and tyre tread must be identical on all wheels; different tyre sizes between front and rear axles are only permissible if mixed tyres are fitted.
•The tyre tread difference between tyres in all wheel positions must not exceed 2 mm (normal quality of the wheel control systems and wheel alignment requirement)"

I think the transfer case is an ATC35L......lots of issues with / information about them recorded here....

CSF intercooler is a straight swap replacement item......currently working away from home so not fitted yet. See here........

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #15
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Hi all,

With LC:

Thanks a ton!!!
Just to answer one of your original questions. Yes The performance of your car seems about right for an F30 335d with around 350bhp.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #16
tomppa
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 6

Quote:
350hp is low I agree. For some reason all the companies here in Czech republic offer around this range. They said that the car before made just 302hp - not even the 313 so basically it was 50 up. Not bad, but I'd better like 370-380.

In essense - to get more HP I'd have to limit the extra torgue down low and just add where Im now dropping.
My tuner said these cars usually make less than advertised HP. So did mine, 308 instead of 313.
It was 2 years ago, but I still remember well how the stock engine felt: on start it attacks like crazy and then dies on higher revs. It felt so annoying although that feeling is common with modern turbo-diesels...

Problem was fixed by custom tune + Wagner 2 + downpipe: 414 HP pulls hard ALL the way and puts smile on my face

Edit: Zero problems with the drivetrain
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      05-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #17
DieselSport
BMW Convert
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

0-100 km/s in 4.3s is pretty insane , thats almost M4 status. I think you should be thrilled with that.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      05-19-2019, 06:51 AM   #18
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomppa View Post
My tuner said these cars usually make less than advertised HP. So did mine, 308 instead of 313.
It was 2 years ago, but I still remember well how the stock engine felt: on start it attacks like crazy and then dies on higher revs. It felt so annoying although that feeling is common with modern turbo-diesels...

Problem was fixed by custom tune + Wagner 2 + downpipe: 414 HP pulls hard ALL the way and puts smile on my face

Edit: Zero problems with the drivetrain
Hi there
Downpipe with no DPF or?
Which tuner did you use? BR performance or?

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:14 AM   #19
tomppa
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 6

Yes, downpipe with no DPF.
It was a local tuner; one man company with a dyno.
3 years and 20.000 km later works like a charm...
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      07-03-2020, 06:12 AM   #20
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Quote:

CSF intercooler is a straight swap replacement item......currently working away from home so not fitted yet. See here........

Flawed test, winter tyres which are awful for power runs and lastly note the usage of the fan.

It that isn't trying to falsify and sell a product I don't know what is.
Appreciate 0