F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > '15 428i n26 - oil / smoke / no start
proTUNING Freaks

03-06-2023, 09:30 PM   #1
JGray_22
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i XDrive GC N2

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [9.00]
'15 428i n26 - oil / smoke / no start

Hey everyone,
Got myself a situation here. I have had some concerns and issues with oil consumption over the past few months. Have always checked it with the system to monitor and on occasion have gotten the 1qt low warnings. Of course I quickly added oil at those times.
I was also having some white smoke on cold starts and would then go away after a few min. of driving. Started getting slightly worse. Took it to a repair shop and they suggested replacing oil inlet and outlet tubes and potentially the Turbo (since they were already there to replace the oil inlet and outlet tubes.
Also got a little milky substance on the oil fil cap. A little research say it could be coolant. Talked to the shop about this and they mentioned the same and thought they should do the valve cover & gasket. They said they are known to have issues and it sounded like I had one. This was talked about previously anyway caused I wanted them to look at the timing chain and guides to ensure they were good.
Yesterday I decided to change oil, only about 2500k since the last, to help with the milky substance. Went to drain oil and literally got enough to cover the bottom of the oil drain pan. WTF.. No warning over the last couple weeks. Only drive car about 100miles a week.
So I changed filter and added the 5qts of 5w-40. I started it up and drive around the block. I was getting a ton of whitish smoke throughout the whole drive, about 8min drive. Was never this bad.
Parked the car overnight. Went to start it in the morning and would start. Battery is good (reads 12.4V). Got a "Starter/Ignition malfunction" "it is not possible to restart the engine. Please call Roadside Assistance" on screen. I tried to start once and it didn't sound good. I have a video that I can't upload, its too large. I'll email if anyone is interested. Also got a battery drain warning. but I checked battery and its good.

Thoughts... I am slightly concerned.. Thoughts.

FYI: I do have an appointment scheduled for the 14th to have the scheduled work done, just not sure how I am getting it there.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 03:44 AM   #2
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Is your coolant ok? A creamy oil-cap is fairly normal for a car not driven much (on lots of short journeys). Water can blow by the rings from combustion and never get fully burnt off to evaporate through the PCV.

I'd hazard a guess that your PCV is blocked/broken somewhere. There are other threads on the forum about PCV issues causing severe oil consumption issues.

I'd whip all 4 spark plugs out and take a look firstly. They could be fouled causing a non-start.

Also disconnect the PCV pipes and take a look in them.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 07:38 AM   #3
JGray_22
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i XDrive GC N2

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Thanks for the reply. I’ll be sure to check other posts about the PVC and the plugs.
Would either of these cause the car not even to crank over?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:11 AM   #4
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

If the car is burning something excessively to produce clouds of smoke and misfire, the starter may not work due to an engine hydrolock from fuel/oil. Thats why i mentioned pulling the plugs.

Inspect the plugs & have a good peer inside. You could try using some rolled paper or similar to dip into the canals to see if there's any fluid.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:29 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
Is your coolant ok? A creamy oil-cap is fairly normal for a car not driven much (on lots of short journeys).
It's also normal when temperatures are regularly below freezing, causing condensation in the oil pan. If the car isn't driven regularly or long enough to get hot it doesn't boil off. I get all sorts of condensation sourced crud in my oil catch can in winter, hardly any in summer.
Appreciate 0